General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

I NEED HELP FELLOW TMS MEMBERS!

Search this Thread

Old 5/24/05, 06:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by stkdidy@May 23, 2005, 11:19 PM
the oldest scam in the books, nigerian 419 scam.

http://www.scambusters.org/NigerianFee.html
That is the first thing that came to my mind also. Obvious
Old 5/24/05, 07:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

This is a scam.

My dad got scammed (almost) on his '03 caddy.

He recieved a check and made the deposit at his bank.
For whatever reason he did not send the money that day.

He emailed me and told me about the sale.
I had heard something about these scams before and did a little research for him. Told him not to send the difference quite yet.

It all sounded to fishy.

I told him to inform the bank which he did.
They held the check for 90 days and it never cleared.
My dad never sent a dime, luckily.
Old 5/24/05, 07:50 AM
GT Member

Yeah I thought it was a scam too, I just wanted to see if anyone else had encountered this. So thanks to all who have responded but I get the idea so I don't need anymore responses. We can let this one die. Thanks again though.
Old 5/24/05, 08:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Last year I listed my '69 fastback on Hemmings and being a dummy I included my email address. I got 27 replies: 2 were from other internet outfits that wanted to help me sell my car, 2 looked like they might have been legit (they came in after I sold the car on eBay.) All the rest were variants on this scam!

The first scam-like reply seemed unlikely so I did a little research and that confirmed my feelings. Most of the scammers that contacted me were obviously not English-as-a-first-language speakers and their spelling, grammar and syntax were atrocious!

The old saying remains true: if it looks too good to true, it probably isn't!!
Old 5/24/05, 10:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by 04Stang05@May 23, 2005, 7:48 PM
Ok now I know this might now be the exact place for this but then again I'm not sure it has a place but I know this is probably where it'll get the most replies. And techinically I do have an '05 on order which I should be picking up in less than a month. Ok now for my dilemma:

I am trying to sell my current Mustang and I have posted an add on autotrader. I got an inquiry about it a few days ago. Here it is:

Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 10:48:14 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Owner 56262966: AutoTrader.com: Vehicle Lead

***VEHICLE LEAD***

The following lead was generated from AutoTrader.com's web site at
http://www.autotrader.com.
To view the vehicle, click the link below:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=181831982

BUYER INFO
Name: Joe Anderson
E-Mail Address: todayautoshop_inc@yahoo.com
Comments: Hello, I am interested in your vehicle, please get back to me
with your last asking price, present condition and location for my
client's evaluation. I will be expecting your email with the details.

I then responded to the e-mail giving him my final price and telling him when I'd be needing to sell it and asked when he wanted to have his client look at it. Earlier I got a response and here it is:

***** Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 14:46:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Joe Anderson" <todayautoshop_inc@yahoo.com> Block Address
Subject: PAYMENT AND SHIPPING INFORMATION

Hello,
I have forwarded the vehicle information to my client and after evaluation and due to time constraint on the fact that we are running short of time , i am delighted to tell you that my client has commended your vehicle and he has instructed me to carry on with this transaction, he also instructed me to inform you that payment will get to you in a cashier check of $22,000 which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client. Due to company policy this Cheque has to be made out in this amount to you, because company policy onlyallows a refund payment on one cashier cheque. So you are required to deduct the cost of your vehicle $15,000 when payment gets to you and refund balance $7,000 to the shipper for him to be able to offset shipping & tax charges, and other cosmetic repair costs. After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper, the shipper's agent will come for inspection, pick up (of vehicle & signing of title p! apers), make some cosmetic touches and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer.
Confirm this and forward your Names, Address and Phone number for payment to be made to you as soon as possible. Your honesty, understanding and co-operation will be highly appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.
Regards

Ok now here are my questions for all of you out there. First off do you think it is a scam. And second I was planning on replying to try and get some more info out of him so I need to know how you think I should respond. Sorry for the long post but I really appreciate and welcome all opinions and suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help.
don't do it! I had the same scenario trying to sell my bike. They use fake money orders to pay.
Old 5/24/05, 12:40 PM
Banned

SCAM100%
This happened to my Grand Mother In Law....she did it though. They said she won a contest, but when she cashed the check , had to refund part of the funds to this company.
BAD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please beware of this type of thing, with selling cars, and contests, etc............