General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

I drove a Chevrolet SS

Old 12/30/13, 09:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drove a Chevrolet SS

I drove a Chevy SS yesterday. Outstanding car. I have more than once stated that I wish Ford would make a 4 door rwd v8 with exceptional performance. Well, darned if chevy isn't making just that. Great car, great interior, great performance, fun tech (heads up display), awfully darn plain exterior.

I absolutely find myself considering this car as my son is getting too darned big for the back of my mustang.
Old 12/30/13, 12:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by eric n
I drove a Chevy SS yesterday. Outstanding car. I have more than once stated that I wish Ford would make a 4 door rwd v8 with exceptional performance. Well, darned if chevy isn't making just that. Great car, great interior, great performance, fun tech (heads up display), awfully darn plain exterior. I absolutely find myself considering this car as my son is getting too darned big for the back of my mustang.
I agree with the want for a Ford 4-door RWD car. Check out the Charger R/T or SRT8 before you sign a check over to the General. I love my buddy's R/T and he only paid $30k for it. HIDs, red leather interior, nav, heated seats, backup cam etc. Only things he didn't get were the aircon seats and sunroof!
Old 12/30/13, 12:55 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I agree with the want for a Ford 4-door RWD car. Check out the Charger R/T or SRT8 before you sign a check over to the General. I love my buddy's R/T and he only paid $30k for it. HIDs, red leather interior, nav, heated seats, backup cam etc. Only things he didn't get were the aircon seats and sunroof!
Big difference though. Chrysler is a piece of garbage.

Eric that's exciting to hear. I've been keeping a look out at the dealerships but haven't seen one yet. If the wife likes it, we will probably own one.
Old 12/30/13, 01:07 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Big difference though. Chrysler is a piece of garbage.
Luigi shakes his wrench at you.

Old 12/30/13, 01:12 PM
Post *****

Typical GM fugly.
Old 12/30/13, 01:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Big difference though. Chrysler is a piece of garbage. Eric that's exciting to hear. I've been keeping a look out at the dealerships but haven't seen one yet. If the wife likes it, we will probably own one.
Except they're not. Go drive a current Chrysler product. The big difference is what they've done to their lineup.
Old 12/30/13, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Luigi shakes his wrench at you.
Lol. Chrysler could be a great car but it will never be. The engineering, the concepts, the decision makers, and the rest of the corporation that makes ideas realities. It's just all wrong if you want a quality vehicle. Chrysler may in fact lead the world in innovation but stick it in a car before it's proven. So the competition just steals the good ideas and make it work reliably. It's been this way for 20 years.
Old 12/30/13, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Chrysler is terrible. If you've ever worked on one you would understand, this goes for the new stuff to. Things that shouldn't go out do, they leak from the unusual places that are usually expensive to fix. They clearly dont think about anything when they design a car as they make most everything that will ever need replaced incredibly difficult to get to. Most of what we have come through the shop I work at is dodge and Chrysler. For ever 20 dodges we see there's only a handful of chevy and Ford's that come through and they are mostly general maintenance stuff we have to do to them. I also dont care for chevy because a lot of their new stuff leaks or has warranty stuff right off the bat. Sorry dodge and chrysler fans the truth hurts sometimes
Old 12/30/13, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by LivinTheStangLife
Chrysler is terrible. If you've ever worked on one you would understand, this goes for the new stuff to. Things that shouldn't go out do, they leak from the unusual places that are usually expensive to fix. They clearly dont think about anything when they design a car as they make most everything that will ever need replaced incredibly difficult to get to. Most of what we have come through the shop I work at is dodge and Chrysler. For ever 20 dodges we see there's only a handful of chevy and Ford's that come through and they are mostly general maintenance stuff we have to do to them. I also dont care for chevy because a lot of their new stuff leaks or has warranty stuff right off the bat. Sorry dodge and chrysler fans the truth hurts sometimes
Yep I was a shop foreman/line tech at a dodge dealer for 1 year and it was ridiculous. Really too bad since some models really look good and ride well.
Old 12/31/13, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out of the big three Ford seems to be the only one on the ball. I have not walked into a GM dealer since 92 I have not owned a GM since 81(Junk GP).
Chrysler always made cheap cars but my slant six dart ran forever.
Ford has been getting better every year for the last decade. However I still dont put them at my gold standard of quality(honda) just yet but there about 80% there.
My mustang is just a weekend car and the more I drive it the more I'm impressed.
I just might buy a ford for an everyday driver.

Last edited by midlife-stanger; 12/31/13 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12/31/13, 08:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

While Chrysler makes nice looking cars, they are pieces of garbage and typically don't last. Chryslers quality in vehicles are junk and would never buy a Chrysler product.

The Chevy SS is a very nice looking vehicle but I'm not a fan of GM. I would look at a Taurus SHO before signing on the Chevy SS. Taurus may be bigger and heavier but it will most likely last far longer with leas repairs than GM. The Taurus SHO is no slow poke and is fast. Great looking car as well.
Old 12/31/13, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
The Chevy SS is a very nice looking vehicle but I'm not a fan of GM. I would look at a Taurus SHO before signing on the Chevy SS. Taurus may be bigger and heavier but it will most likely last far longer with leas repairs than GM. The Taurus SHO is no slow poke and is fast. Great looking car as well.
I really don't understand why you guys keep plugging the SHO. It's not in the same league. People want a V8 rwd sedan. If we were looking for fwd maybe a Taurus would be an option. Maybe. But GM still offers a couple V8 sedans in a fwd variation. And that Cadillac northstar is a beast so the SHO is still just another weak Ford alternative.
Old 12/31/13, 09:28 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
But GM still offers a couple V8 sedans in a fwd variation.
No they don't . . . not anymore.
Old 12/31/13, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
No they don't . . . not anymore.
Ah you're right. Caddy went twin turbo sixers too. But at least they offer a V model. I'm wondering if the new impala will boast that 5.3L again or go with a turbo 6 also. Guess it was nice while it lasted. The Northstar was a great platform.
Old 12/31/13, 10:07 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
The Northstar was a great platform.
It would have been cool to see the Northstar developed further, but 'money rules the day' and two V8 programs within GM just couldn't be sustained.
Old 12/31/13, 10:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I really don't understand why you guys keep plugging the SHO. It's not in the same league. People want a V8 rwd sedan. If we were looking for fwd maybe a Taurus would be an option. Maybe. But GM still offers a couple V8 sedans in a fwd variation. And that Cadillac northstar is a beast so the SHO is still just another weak Ford alternative.
I'll agree here. The current Taurus is terrible. Well, the use of space is terrible. The **** Fusion has more interior room! I'd buy an SS over a current SHO, and I am not a GM guy.
Old 12/31/13, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
It would have been cool to see the Northstar developed further, but 'money rules the day' and two V8 programs within GM just couldn't be sustained.
The Northstar had its share of design flaws but could have been improved. A work of art as far as engines go. That split crankcase sucked though.
Old 12/31/13, 10:37 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

The SHO is a really nice looking car that looks very comfortable for a family. Lol. Its got sweet power and is fast.

Besides, I'm jut not a fan of GM vehicles because of their past quality. Based upon my personal experience of ownership and my family members ownership of GM vehicles. My family has owned various vehicles from GMC, Pontiac, Chevrolet, Buick, Oldsmobile through out the 80's, 90,s and early 2000's and they did not last past 100k miles without major repairs.

GM made lousy , cheap vehicles of at least the past decades and when bitten wrong for three decades of various GM cars, they suck. Lol
Old 12/31/13, 10:57 AM

The SHO is a really nice looking car that looks very comfortable for a family. Lol. Its got sweet power and is fast. Besides, I'm jut not a fan of GM vehicles because of their past quality. Based upon my personal experience of ownership and my family members ownership of GM vehicles. My family has owned various vehicles from GMC, Pontiac, Chevrolet, Buick, Oldsmobile through out the 80's, 90,s and early 2000's and they did not last past 100k miles without major repairs. GM made lousy , cheap vehicles of at least the past decades and when bitten wrong for three decades of various GM cars, they suck. Lol
But the same can be said of Ford and Chrysler vehicles also. This is why Toyota and Honda are still seen as better vehicles. In 96 or 97 the LS1 motor came out. It was truly a game changer. The LS platform V8's are built to last even when neglected. Less than 10 years after introducing these engines, GM started offering 100k mi power train warranties because 100k was nothing to achieve anymore. A manufacturer that is afraid to offer 100k powertrain warranties now is really not to be trusted. Chrysler even offers 100k which is why I have replaced a whole lot of motors under warranty. Lol
Old 12/31/13, 12:39 PM
Post *****

While Chrysler makes nice looking cars, they are pieces of garbage and typically don't last. Chryslers quality in vehicles are junk and would never buy a Chrysler product.
Maybe. But 1.35 million PT Cruiser buyers would disagree.

And my 84 AMC/Jeep Eagle (then owned by Chrysler) went 100k and 24 years without any major repairs. There were tons of them on the road out west.

And Dodge trucks did have that Cummins...

So there's that.

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/31/13 at 12:41 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I drove a Chevrolet SS