General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

I drove a 2010 Porsche Panamara Last Night!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10/22/09, 11:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I drove a 2010 Porsche Panamara Last Night!!!!

1st off, I'll apologize as I have no pics. It was at night, and I left my camera in my office at the dealership.

So it goes like this. I go onto the local Porsche dealer's website to see if they arrived yet. The official launch is in October. So I go on the site and see a small ad on the right, "Meet the Panamare, Oct 21 2009 6-9 pm". So I click on it. It turns out they are having a gathering at a local country club. So I RSVP (it was free to do), and head over with my girlfriend (who IS a car girl and owns a Grabber Orange GT/CS 5-speed). Like everyone, I have seen the car in oodles of magazines, and heard all the stories, about it being a sedan and its ugly. Well, I wanted to see it for myself, "in the metal" so to speak.

We get to the place, and there are 4 Panamaras there. One S model and Three 4S models. No turbos (no worries and I'll explain later). I see the car, and its REALLY NICE in person. Its not bad at all! I sign in, and see the one car leave (they are doing drives, much to my suprise). Next thing I see a Carbon S model arrives. The salesperson turns up the game (Phillies Game 5 was in the 2nd inning and I wanted to get home ASAP to watch). Well, he turned the volume up, and he asked how I liked it. I told him I was impressed. MUCH BETTER looking in person. He says most people were saying that. In his words, "2D pictures do this NO JUSTICE. He was right. Its really a gorgeous. car! I ask how is it? "Wanna go for a drive"? HELL YEAH (I didn't say that, just what I wanted to say). I gave him my license, and when he came back, my business card. He asked me who I work for, and what I do there. Told him I have sold Fords for over 12 years and I am the only "car guy" in the sales department. He too is a car guy, with 2 vintage Porsches he tracks on weekends.

So we all leave, and I head down the main road, and make a right. He tells me "punch it!" So I do, and HOLY CRAP! This car moves!! For 400 hp, and 3800 lbs, its quick!! I'm at the next light (its red), and he tells me to hit the "Sport" button. The computer remaps the transmission settings for harder quicker shifts to redline. Now all Panamaras are PDK (dual clutch) transmissions and if you ever drive a dual-clutch, its different. So the light goes green and I hammer it. 1st goes by in a blink of an eye! 2 and 3rd gear are reached only after hitting redline and the kick in the back from the shifts is something to get used to (in sport mode). He also tells me to hit the "exhaust picture" button. Opens up the baffles and makes the exhaust louder! THIS CAR IS SICK!! So I head back, and do one more hard punch! THIS CAR IS SOMETHING!!! While driving back in open traffic, I was just tapping the throttle and the punch is REAL NICE!

So we get back! I'm sold on the car! Its DEFINITELY something I am impressed with! While some may not like the looks, its got the performance to back up the Porsche name. If I had the money, and needed a 4-door, 4-passenger high-end luxury car, this would be at the top of my list! In the end, the salesperson (who couldn't have been greater), thanked me for coming out. The coolest thing he said? I thanked him for letting me drive the car, and he said, "no problem at all. Glad to help out a fellow car guy"!

So there you go! Is the car wierd looking? Depends on your definition of wierd. Is it worthy of the Porsche crest on the hood? ABSOLUTELY!!! Its DAM impressive!!! If your near a Porsche dealer, check it out in person. It may sway your thoughts on the car!!
Old 10/22/09, 12:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lucky! I'm super jealous.

There's nothing like German engineering. I want a Cayman so bad I can't stand it! Not a day goes by that I don't kick myself for buying 1 Porsche instead of 2 Mustangs...but I enjoy the V8 so it's not all bad
Old 10/22/09, 01:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was skeptical at first of the Panamera, not so much for the concept of a 4-door Porsche, but moreso of the appearance. I don't dwell on the appearance of a car, I'm more concerned with performance, but with rare exceptions, Porsches have typically performed well and looked great at the same time. For the kind of money they want for a Panamera, it had better look good and perform. I finally saw one in the flesh on the highway several weeks ago, it was black, and looked much much better in person than any picture I've seen. Quite the family car, but a little out of reach for this family unfortunately.
Old 10/22/09, 06:31 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I';m sure the car drives nice yada yada..but it is a seriously ugly car.
As Clarkson said it looks like an inside out monkey
Old 10/22/09, 08:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

I love it! Great write up, thanks!
Old 10/22/09, 08:43 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Cool Jeff! Glad to see you had a good time
Old 10/22/09, 09:14 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

I just simply don't like the idea of a 4 door Porsche. It will never warm up to me. That's just me though, sounds like a fun time man!
Old 10/26/09, 02:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts
I attended a car show last weekend at a local Porsche dealership (Jim Ellis). I have a picture of a car in their parking lot.

They had this unusual colored light brown Panamera S on the show-room floor. It had a MSRP of $160,000+ (not including tax, tag, title).

And I like Porsche cars (well, the early ones). But $160K+ is way too much much for any 4-door family sedan.

Old 10/26/09, 03:12 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by EagleStroker
I just simply don't like the idea of a 4 door Porsche. It will never warm up to me. That's just me though, sounds like a fun time man!
I agree. It's like a 4 door Mustang...one just doesn't go with the other.
Old 10/26/09, 04:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by EagleStroker
+1, the only 4 door porsche im used to is the cayenne
Old 10/26/09, 04:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

We were waiting to see it and buckled and bought the real deal instead.

We were invited to the dealer last week to see it unveiled and, though it was nice, it didnt spark the excitement the 911 does.
Old 10/26/09, 06:37 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by MELLOWYELLOW06

We were invited to the dealer last week to see it unveiled and, though it was nice, it didnt spark the excitement the 911 does.
Nice!
Old 10/27/09, 08:06 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by MELLOWYELLOW06

i love your cars