General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Hybrid Highlander!

Search this Thread

Old 4/4/05, 11:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(This got lost in the 05 discussion for obvious reasons, so i'll post it here where it probably belonged in the first place and hopefully will spawn more discussion

Motor Trend: "As Highlanders go, the hybrid's a bullet."

0-60mph in 6.6 seconds, a full 2.5 seconds quicker than the older 3.0 litre highlander.
Yup, this 4000lbs, 4WD SUV gets 30mpg city driving and is faster than a V6 mustang.

Now mods, i'm sorry, i know this belongs in General Vehicle discussion, but i just wanted to say this: Imagine a special edition mustang with this drive train! Okay okay, I bet it wouldn't be super simple to just pop a highlander drive train into a mustang, but they also just unveiled the new GS430h, which is RWD with something like 300hp. Anyways, i'm sure ford could work out something similar, a smaller V6, maybe the new 3.5L with a beefy electric motor, much better mileage than the v6 but a fair deal quicker.
I know of course that this would add maybe 1 or 2 hundred pounds, which is significant, and a bit more of a percentage increase for the mustang than it is for the highlander. But while the handling and braking performance wouldn't be quite as good, the added power and tons of low end torque (as i say in my sig, the prius gets 295lb-ft at 0-1200rpm) would definitely boost acceleration a lot. I'd say that's a fair trade off, especially if it means decent mileage and driving a much more intelligently engineered form of transportation, in terms of energy efficiency.

Only then could i ever allow myself to drive one of these beautiful cars without being a total hypocrite. Until then, all i've got is a bad hiney mountain bike...
Old 4/5/05, 01:55 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It is an idea I would be willing to buy into, especially the fuel economy bit. I have to earn $6,350 before tax to pay my annual fuel bill!!
Old 4/5/05, 08:34 AM
I'm people, and I like.

I like it!
Old 4/5/05, 09:03 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Me too.
Old 4/6/05, 02:25 AM
Cobra Member

Ok, I'm just thinking out loud right now, but...

If good torque numbers with good fuel mileage is the goal, why not drop in a straight-4 along with a bit more powerful electic motor?

The I4 would be lighter, much more fuel efficient, have a wide torque range and also be smaller in dimension. The weight savings would offset the hybrid system weight and if the system is laid out right, preserve the weight distribution, as well. The electric motor could also be more powerful to offset the power lost from the absence of a V6. This hinges on having the ability to produce more hp from an electric motor for less weight than a comparable increase in hp for an internal combustion engine...

Sure, the thought of an I4 Mustang is a bit anthema, but I'm only thinking out loud, like I said...