General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

How Common Are Keyless Codes ?

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/05 | 10:45 AM
Bullitt Member

I wonder how common the keyless entry codes are. My code is the same as my Mother in laws on her Crown Vic. Have you ever walked thru a parking lot and hit you entry fob and another car unlocks?
Old 1/31/05 | 11:08 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

NO but I did hit one once with my olds to unlock it and it made another cars panic alarm go off. Thought I was nuts, so I did it again and it wasn't a fluke.
Old 1/31/05 | 11:34 AM
Cobra Member

Never heard of that. I never looked into it but I wonder how many codes are available. That's scary if you can open other people's cars.
Old 1/31/05 | 11:34 AM
Bullitt Member

It's kind of scary.
Old 2/1/05 | 05:34 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Yall are going to think I am nuts......

My Mustang unlocker on my keyfob locks the olds. Its either that or my garage door opener,which makes no sense. I think my unlock or trunk pop on Eleanor is the code for Lock on the alero. I think the olds has a VERY common code on it. I already told you about the panic alarm.
It can sit out in the driveway unlocked all day until I come home, Brian comes out to get into the car and its locked up tight. I don't even have the olds keys on my keyring anymore, so I am not accidentally hitting it.
Old 7/10/05 | 08:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Yup happened yesterday I stop for groceries come out hit the fob then another beep so I look around walk over to an older Ford pick me up and it worked so I locked it then used my key and left. Scary thought that I'll bet with the right program a guy could just sit in a lot with a wireless lap-top and search them all out. That's why we need a James bond divice ! Ka Boom I don't know what the thief did.
Old 7/10/05 | 11:25 AM
I'm people, and I like.

That is scary
My car has that keyless entry code stuff, but I have no idea what it is.
Old 7/11/05 | 10:42 AM
Post *****

ha! my good ole II is super secure. i have on key to open the hatch, another for the doors, another for the gas cap and yet ANOTHER to start it MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 7/11/05 | 02:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've heard of that happening before. My wife and I had it happen with her Element but I've never had it happen with the Stang. She has a DEI Viper system so its not just with factory alarms. Its universal with all keyless entry's pretty much. Sometimes the frequencies are just so darned close that it "trick" the system. It has happened with my parents garage door opener opening my neighbor's. Luckily for both of us we are good friends and watch out for that stuff.

The thing is that they may be able to get in but starting it is a bit more difficult with starting the vehicle especially with the immobilizer technology.

Chances of someone actually noticing by accident and then deciding to steal your car are fairly slim. There is a higher chance of someone sitting in the parking lot with a laptop and scanning your code when you lock or arm it.

I remember when Lexus was advertising about a year ago for that new system that would unlock when you were within proximity of your vehicle. The first thing I said to my wife was "That's gonna backfire." I was right it did. Lately they have been taking a lot of heat though from insurance companies because in fact the signal is a longer more constant one than just pressing a button really quick and it is easier to for a thief to scan the code. Also it makes it easier for you to be attacked because the door can actually be opened by anyone as long as you're in the vicinity.

CR had a blip about it and InSync (Erie Insurance's magazine) did a full report about it a few months back. Erie is actually charging higher rates for vehicles with that system and rightfully so.

All in all the simple fact is that if a thief wants it, they will take it no matter how well protected it is. The best thing to do is to park under a light or near one and hide any things that may tempt a thief