General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Hey Mustang Sallad!

Search this Thread

Old 11/10/05, 10:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know there have been plenty of posts for the new 3.5 V6 and its power output but I haven't seen a post on this yet.

I see there was an article talking about the possibility of the Hybrid V6 but this looks like a definite. Hopefully we can do it right, from what I hear the Honda and Toyota hybrid V6's haven't been delivering anywhere close to wha they claim.

3.5 V6 and Hybrid Technology
Old 11/10/05, 10:31 AM
Cobra R Member

sweet, thanks for the heads up dude, hadn't caught that one. So its looking pretty good for V6 hybrids, but so far it seems like all their hybrid developement is for FWD cars. I guess there aren't really any RWD hybrids on the market. There are a couple AWD ones, but i think those have a separate electric motor directly powering the rear wheels. So so far, looks like the hybrid mustang might be a little ways off...
Meanwhile, right as i'm typing this in the lounge of the mech eng department at my school, the other guys in here are talking about what we should do with this PT cruiser that the student union doesn't want anymore and is offering to us, saying we should make it a hybrid.... still a fwd car though.

Actually a couple of the projects we're working on a McGill are pretty sweet. I'm working on a straight up electric snowmobile that competed last year in at the SAE clean snowmobile competition. http://www.electricsnowmobile.mcgill.ca/English/ ... that's me on the left in the green.
Then a couple of my buddy's are working on converting last year's FSAE mini formula 1 car into a completely electric car for their final mech eng project. Maybe for my final project, i can find the funding to buy a mustang, pop in some of the motors we've got kicking around... we'll see!
Old 11/10/05, 11:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by mustang_sallad@November 10, 2005, 1:34 PM
sweet, thanks for the heads up dude, hadn't caught that one. So its looking pretty good for V6 hybrids, but so far it seems like all their hybrid developement is for FWD cars. I guess there aren't really any RWD hybrids on the market. There are a couple AWD ones, but i think those have a separate electric motor directly powering the rear wheels. So so far, looks like the hybrid mustang might be a little ways off...
Meanwhile, right as i'm typing this in the lounge of the mech eng department at my school, the other guys in here are talking about what we should do with this PT cruiser that the student union doesn't want anymore and is offering to us, saying we should make it a hybrid.... still a fwd car though.

Actually a couple of the projects we're working on a McGill are pretty sweet. I'm working on a straight up electric snowmobile that competed last year in at the SAE clean snowmobile competition. http://www.electricsnowmobile.mcgill.ca/English/ ... that's me on the left in the green.
Then a couple of my buddy's are working on converting last year's FSAE mini formula 1 car into a completely electric car for their final mech eng project. Maybe for my final project, i can find the funding to buy a mustang, pop in some of the motors we've got kicking around... we'll see!
Yes, most of the hybrids are going to undoubtedly FWD or AWD. Although a Mustang hybrid would be really neat, I really don't see it happening right now. The thing is that some of us would like it but you would have to convince a lot of motorheads that the hybrid is just as good or better. That will be a tough battle.

Still, I think it would be really neat to build a hybrid powered Mustang to see what it could do. Just make sure you have a V8 in there :P
Old 11/10/05, 11:46 AM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That could be cool to see
Old 11/10/05, 04:06 PM
Cobra R Member

hehe, ya, i think the hardest selling point for a hybrid mustang would be the exhaust note if it didn't have a V8 and the engine shut off at idle. There's no doubt in my mind that you could build a stang that would be just as quick as the GT with say this new V6 and an electric motor. Even if peak output weren't quite 300hp, the motor gets so much low end grunt that acceleration would be awesome. So really, the thing that would bother motorheads the most is probably the sound thing.

I'm convinced though that there are a lot of mustang buyers out there who buy the car for the looks and not so much for the sound. Otherwise, throw in a switch so that you could turn off the automatic engine-shutoff. So when you're on your way home from a long day at work and you got a headache, stuck in traffic, the engine could spend a lot of time shut off. But when it comes time to show off your car, you can flip the switch and let her sit there purring.
Old 11/10/05, 04:13 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The problem with a hybrid mustang is that it would make an already heavy car even heavier. Not good for a sports car.

Even though some use the mustang as a daily driver. Its not meant to be a commuter car. So puting a hybrid technology in a car not mean to be a commuter doens't make much sense.
Old 11/10/05, 06:57 PM
Cobra R Member

ya that's true. but see, what about me?! I'd love to own a mustang, but I'd be castrated after all the preaching i do against cars all the time. If they made a hybrid mustang, i'd be like "wait don't kill me, look its got a cool little leafy road badge on the side, its okay!"
hahaha, i'm a loser...