General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

On The Heels of the 05

Search this Thread

Old 11/18/04 | 06:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Red Star+November 18, 2004, 7:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Red Star @ November 18, 2004, 7:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-grrr428@November 18, 2004, 7:07 PM
I kinda like the Montego name. But this whole FF and MM designation thing is absurd. I always thought MC names sounded good: Mercury Cougar, Mercury Comet, Mercury Cyclone.
MM&FF - Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords [/b][/quote]
No, sorry that's not what I meant.
Ford Focus et al (FF)
Mercury Mariner et al (MM)

They are artificially limiting their creativity to "F"s and "M"s for no good reason, other than some marketing idea.
Old 11/18/04 | 06:19 PM

FWIW, Chicago & Atlanta use to build the Taurus & Sable, both plants
70+ cars an hour, thats 140 total per hour!
As of now Chicago builds the 500, Freestyle & the Montego.
Atlanta is still building the Taurus & Sable.
And yes there is a new engine on the way for all 3 cars in Chicago.
As of now they all get the old 24V Taurus engine.

Now come on with my SVT stang!
Old 11/18/04 | 06:19 PM

Absurd? Chevrolet is the worst offender: Corvette, Camaro, Chevette, Chevelle, Caprice Classic, Celebrity, Cavalier, Cobalt, Corvair, Citation, Corsica, Colorado. Even their pickup is C/K...

Ford, won't you bring back the Fairmont with a 5.0L V8?...
Old 11/18/04 | 06:33 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally posted by grrr428@November 18, 2004, 7:02 PM
Cougar! Please, please.......PLEASE! Not the FWD or the fat 90s version either, a genuine RWD Mustang derived performance/luxury Cat.
Actually that is a pretty good idea, similar to what Nissan/Infiniti did with the 350Z.
Old 11/18/04 | 07:17 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Originally posted by Red Star@November 18, 2004, 8:07 PM
Why would Ford drop Taurus? Its been Ford's best selling family sedan since 1986 (when it was introduced).

Why would Ford replace Crown Victoria? They wanna do same mistake Chevrolet did with Caprise?
The taurus is a great car, the problem is, Ford let the nameplate go sour the last few years. They didn't do many updates on the car, then they flooded the rental and fleet market, killing re-sale value and image in the process.

I hope Ford does not drop the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis without giving it a fullsize RWD replacement. The cars still sell a decent amount, the chassis on that car is OLD (from 1978) so its value has been paid off ten times over.

The DEW Lite replacement for the Crown Vic will hopefully have the same or better interior space as the outgoing car, and tighter styling.
Old 11/18/04 | 07:29 PM
Banned

Originally posted by MCGT+November 18, 2004, 7:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MCGT @ November 18, 2004, 7:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Grantsdale@November 18, 2004, 5:31 PM
Isn't the Five Hundred the sedan above the Taurus?

Its too late for an 06 I would think, there would be at least some kind of rumors before this. 07 maybe ..

I also can't imagine them replacing the Crown Vic, especially since the CV is considered "the" cop car.
Taurus is gone... 500 is the replacement
And if you remember the Caprise Classic was the vehicle of choice for Law Enforcement (Heads above the Crown Vic) before GM dumped it back in 1996. [/b][/quote]
Uhm, no.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/taurus/

2005 Taurus

And around here, the cops have always been driving crown vics for as long as I can remember (way before 96)
Old 11/18/04 | 07:45 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally posted by 302cid@November 18, 2004, 7:22 PM
Absurd? Chevrolet is the worst offender: Corvette, Camaro, Chevette, Chevelle, Caprice Classic, Celebrity, Cavalier, Cobalt, Corvair, Citation, Corsica, Colorado. Even their pickup is C/K...

Ford, won't you bring back the Fairmont with a 5.0L V8?...
You forgot El Camino.
Old 11/18/04 | 07:48 PM
Post *****

kinda off topic but kinda not: Ford should bring back the 'chero. like the Falcon Utes in Aussieland. ::daydreams::

PS to any Aussies on this site, ur cars rock. n so does ur country i loved it both times i visited
Old 11/18/04 | 07:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Love to see a retroish Galaxie 500 brought back. First car I ever had was an ooolllddd 67 Galaxie with that big 390 in it. Gazillion years old and never had a problem till the frame rusted out from under it. Would be a great sedanish/coupish opponent to the new GTO or the possible Dodge Charger.
Old 11/18/04 | 07:58 PM
V6 Member

One things for sure, they probably won't be bringing back these old "up north" Mercury names:

Mercury Meteor, Montcalm, Rideau 500 and the much lamented Lemoyne
Old 11/18/04 | 08:51 PM
Cobra R Member

i summed up all the ford stuff from all the years in their future vehicle forcasts in this thread:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=6059
The taurus was once a revolutionary, best selling car. It's faded into the background now. The taurus is gonna stick around for a couple years as a rental car. Next year the Fusion comes out. The fusion'll be a bit smaller than the taurus, (think contour) while the 500 is a bit bigger. HYBRIDS ALL AROUND! Yeah! At least for the fusion, but autosinsider.com had a column saying ford is considering hybrid 500s and freestyles as well. Ya hoo!
I think a lot of the crown vic crowd, like the old guys, will be taken over by the 500. The trunk is actually bigger, and it looks a bit classier. But they're still gonna have to build something for the cops. And for guys like the ones on this site that would like a big bad--- v8 rwd sedan.

My family has owned three panther cars since i was born, two grand marquis and one crown vic, all wagons. I'm attached to these cars. I wish they could keep the crown vic name, but galaxy (forget the F thing!) or fairlane or fairmount would be cool. But I think they should just bring the falcon over here, maybe stretch it a bit to adequately take on the roll of the crown vic, and keep the falcon name, its a good one. Especially for a car that will police people.
I can't wait to hear ford's definite plans as far as this car goes. Anyone who hears anything must post on this site within 24 hours of hearing it or i will curse them.
Old 11/18/04 | 09:53 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 38special@November 18, 2004, 6:51 PM
The marauder was an awsome car. All that it needed was a stick shift instead of only coming in an automatic.
I've driven the Marauder.

And I've driven the 300C.

Believe me, the Marauder can't hope to compete, despite the higher price tag.

Its suspension was sloppy in comparison. Its transmission was slower in comparison. Its powertrain was anemic in comparison.

The Marauder had what felt like (slightly) higher-quality leather than the Chrysler.

But that was the only thing it had on the 300C.

What *really* PO's me about Ford is their lack of development on the Lincoln LS. When it first came out in 1998, it was able to edge out the BMW 5-series in performance and handling. After 6 model years of absolutely NO real development, save for a facelift, and a displacement decrease to appease Jaguar owners, it doesn't even stand out.

Ford could have had the jump on the RWD American performance sedan. But they let it slip right through their fingers.
Old 11/18/04 | 09:59 PM
GT Member

Smile

Originally posted by mustang_sallad@November 18, 2004, 9:54 PM

My family has owned three panther cars since i was born, two grand marquis and one crown vic, all wagons. I'm attached to these cars. I wish they could keep the crown vic name, but galaxy (forget the F thing!) or fairlane or fairmount would be cool. But I think they should just bring the falcon over here, maybe stretch it a bit to adequately take on the roll of the crown vic, and keep the falcon name, its a good one. Especially for a car that will police people.
I can't wait to hear ford's definite plans as far as this car goes. Anyone who hears anything must post on this site within 24 hours of hearing it or i will curse them.
Wow... I feel so welcome here...

... KNOWING THAT ABSOLUTELY NOBODY READS MY POSTS...

If you bother reading my post above, I had already explained that THE CROWN VICTORIA WILL BE OVERHAULED IN 2008 WITH AN UPCOMING FORD AUSTRALIA FALCON PLATFORM.

Let me re-iterate that:
THE CROWN VICTORIA WILL BE OVERHAULED IN 2008 WITH AN UPCOMING FORD AUSTRALIA FALCON PLATFORM.

And one more time, for good measure...

THE CROWN VICTORIA WILL BE OVERHAULED IN 2008 WITH AN UPCOMING FORD AUSTRALIA FALCON PLATFORM.

So, for everybody above, we will be getting a Ford Falcon... it'll just be called the "Crown Victoria."
Old 11/19/04 | 09:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

If all goes as planned, Ford is smart with using the Aussie Falcon platform. If some haven't seen or heard of what the Falcon is capable of, click on www.ford.com.au to see the XR6, XR6T and XR8, and their stats. Just click on "virtual showroom, then "Falcon Range", and the different models will come up.

The XR6 uses a 4.0L I6 and the XR6T adds a turbo. The XR8 uses the 5.4L DOHC 4V V8. C&D tested the XR6T in dearborn, as FMC has a few laying around the headquarters. Needless to say, the editor of the article was very excited with the car, and wishing it was available here.

To see the ultimate Falcon, click on www.FPV.com.au, to see the GT sedan. It is an amazing machine. FPV is the Aussie version of SVT here. Check them out, and you will be begging Ford to build the new Crown Vic using this chassis. Just wanted to add the the post.
Old 11/19/04 | 12:09 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 05fordgt@November 19, 2004, 10:13 AM
The XR6 uses a 4.0L I6 and the XR6T adds a turbo.
Ahh, yes, the lovely Barra 182-- 4.0L, 4v, DOHC straight-six.

The only thing that could make it better is variable exhaust valve timing...

As for the Falcon, yeah, it's an awesome car. The great thing is, the new Crown Victoria will not be based on the current Falcon, but, rather, on a brand-spanking new one, due for a 2006 or 2007 release, I think...

... so the 2008 Crown Vic might even handle BETTER than the current Falcon!
Old 11/19/04 | 02:03 PM
Cobra R Member

dude grabber green... relax. I read your post. But if you read through that entire vehicle forcast thing like i did a couple months ago, you'll notice that MT has lots of entries that conflict with one another. It could be true, it sounds fine for me, but I don't even know if Ford is sure yet about what they're gonna do, let alone Motor Trend. Its a forcast, just like the weather, they don't know for sure.
themustangsource is a happy place... try to keep the font below size 16
Old 11/19/04 | 02:05 PM
Cobra R Member

I believe the falcon platform, i'm not so sure about the crown vic name though.... They kept the mustang name, that's pretty understandable. I don't think they're as proud as the Crown Victoria name though, not enough to violate their stupid little naming game.
Old 11/19/04 | 02:06 PM
Cobra Member

Old 11/19/04 | 09:21 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by mustang_sallad@November 19, 2004, 3:06 PM
dude grabber green... relax. I read your post. But if you read through that entire vehicle forcast thing like i did a couple months ago, you'll notice that MT has lots of entries that conflict with one another. It could be true, it sounds fine for me, but I don't even know if Ford is sure yet about what they're gonna do, let alone Motor Trend. Its a forcast, just like the weather, they don't know for sure.
Kool, fair enough. Sorry if it felt like my post was directed entirely at you, which it wasn't-- the multitude of "wouldn't it be cool if Ford brought the Falcon here" posts kinda drove me nuts when I was buzzed on a lot of caffeine. :bang:

Oh, and, by the way, the font size I used (at least, according to the Smart Text settings) was 14 :P
Old 11/19/04 | 09:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree with b_btrick, Ford needs to bring back the Galaxie(large sedan & large coupe)...along with a smaller(aussie falcon-lookin') "cousin" or whatever, the Fairlane. Torino anyone?? Revive the 390..and update it with Fuel Injection, though carbs rule, and we're good to go with one killer line-up...The Mustang, Galaxie, and Fairlane(Torino??) as the ultimate muscle line-up.
And can we imagine what gifts SVT would have for us with these three?

Quick Reply: On The Heels of the 05