General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

HAPPY CAR FREE DAY!

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/05, 09:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HAPPY CAR FREE DAY! I don't suppose many members of a mustang forum left their cars at home today though. Here in montreal, the car free area was pretty much just one of the main drags downtown for about 7 or 8 blocks, with streets running perpendicularly closed off as well. On the closed off street, St Catherine, a trendy shopping area sort of, we had all sorts of cool stuff, like electric bikes, hybrid cars, electric cars, including this little thing made by bombardier (the montreal company that makes Ski-Doos and Sea-Doos and high speed trains for the east coast and regional jets), it was a totally electric car that the cops were using. Pretty cool stuff. Also had one of the new city buses, and i got to talk to the guy who's the director of technological research and development at montreals public transit company. I told him he basically has my dream job. He's the guy who's putting together a pilot project for hybrid buses, and previously he set up the Biobus test program where they had buses running on biodiesel. My school also had its first solar car on display on the street.

I also got to shake hands with montreal's former mayor who's now in the race for the next election. I asked him if he'd expand the car-free area if i voted for him, he said "of course" with quite an arrogant tone and walked away. Highlight of my day! hahaha

anybody else live anywhere where they shut cars out for the day?
I think its a cool idea, just to see what its like when cars aren't the dominant life form. I don't remember the numbers, but last year, improvements in air quality were measured in the downtown area on car-free day.

Meanwhile, i keep wishing everybody a happy free-car day. Definitely a different idea....
Old 9/22/05, 10:17 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
darn... i misread the title and was about to call the local dealership and order an 06 GT in black...

i've never hard of carr free day tho. frankly, i dunno if many ppl round here could go without their car for a day. i mean commuting is such a big part of their lives...
Old 9/22/05, 11:51 PM
Cobra R Member

car free day started in europe, and its now observed in over 1500 cities in 40 countries. i've heard of some cities that actually have a car free day every week, or at least a portion of the down town area is closed on, say, sundays or something.
Old 9/23/05, 01:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

As much as I would love to do that I don't think it would make my 80 mile round trip to work very feasible. I applaud all of those that have gone without a car today though