General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

GTO is DEAD

Search this Thread

Old 3/21/05, 06:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check this article out. I found it in the forums at Autoweek.com and someone pasted it from Detroit News I think.

In order to cut costs and get back in the black, Lutz cancelled the development of the Zeta chassis that would underpin all future rear-drive cars including the next-gen GTO!!!!!

http://forums.autoweek.com/thread.jspa?for...=13729&tstart=0

I hate to see the competition die like this, but, not really!!!

Mustang wins!!!
Old 3/21/05, 06:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

The troubles at GM reflect troubles in just about every other line of work: which path to the future promises the best change of success.
Ford as it's way over priced Thunderbird - Lincoln is trying to sell a truck - again. F-150 sales are down. Does Ford really need a Montego, 500 or the three version of the Escape, Tribute, and Mariner (is that right?). Smaller might mean more survivabliity.
Old 3/21/05, 07:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

I wouldn't call a lack of competition a good thing.

I'd much rather there be actual competitors for the Mustang out there - it would likely keep Ford/GM/Chrysler (or whoever) on their toes, and focusing on continuous improvement to increase sales.

Whenever there is no competition, there is a risk of complacency. As much as I love my new Mustang, I don't want to see the same platform used for 20+ years ever again.
Old 3/21/05, 07:06 AM
Banned

Originally posted by htwag@March 21, 2005, 9:51 AM
The troubles at GM reflect troubles in just about every other line of work: which path to the future promises the best change of success.
Ford as it's way over priced Thunderbird - Lincoln is trying to sell a truck - again. F-150 sales are down. Does Ford really need a Montego, 500 or the three version of the Escape, Tribute, and Mariner (is that right?). Smaller might mean more survivabliity.
Rebadging is an easy way to look like you have more vehicles. Some people don't know that Mercury = Ford, so you get people that don't like Ford that might buy a Mercury.
Old 3/21/05, 07:15 AM
Cobra Member

what i got out of the 2 articles wasn't that the GTO is dead... it's just not getting a new chassis.... it's going to remain on the curent platform, but still continue to be produced.
Old 3/21/05, 07:26 AM
Cobra Member

What's everyone’s problem with the GTO. I'm not a GTO fanboy or anything, but it gets annoying.

Also, does this really have anything to do with the forum it was posted in?
Old 3/21/05, 07:30 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Altoid@March 21, 2005, 9:29 AM
What's everyone’s problem with the GTO. I'm not a GTO fanboy or anything, but it gets annoying.

Also, does this really have anything to do with the forum it was posted in?
Probably because as of right now, it is the main (only) competitor to the mustang.

Moving thread too.
Old 3/21/05, 07:37 AM
Bullitt Member

The main thing here that no one has really caught in the article is that all future rear-drive vehicles are dead. Did no one see that this means all the future camaro/gto/velite models are doomed? There has been so much speculation about what/when the next-gen camaro would come out and heres the answer!
Old 3/21/05, 07:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by clintoris@March 21, 2005, 8:18 AM
what i got out of the 2 articles wasn't that the GTO is dead... it's just not getting a new chassis.... it's going to remain on the curent platform, but still continue to be produced.
Exactly.
Old 3/21/05, 03:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

A 'real' coupe version of the Mustang...i.e. the Cougar would be nice. A new Firebird and Camaro would be nice as well. I had several '86 Firbirds and the B pillars were designed different on the Firebird than on the Camaro. Interiors were different enough to be noticable as well. both cars - just enough to be noticable - like the way the V6 grill differs from the GT grill (other than lights!). The GTO looks ok...but it doesn't stir the blood like the Mustang. The new Charger is just the name - what about the blood lines?
Old 3/21/05, 05:23 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who knows how long GM will continue to import the aussie GTO's. Once the monaro is due for a restyling, maybe they will invest some money to give the GTO more exciting sheetmetal.

Too bad, I was really looking forward to seeing a new GTO.
Old 3/22/05, 02:55 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The real reason the zeta was canned. Trials with the new Firebird version did not go well.......
Old 3/22/05, 11:23 AM
Bullitt Member

...you mean it's not supposed to look like that?
Old 3/22/05, 11:28 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I think he's running alittle rich....
Old 3/22/05, 03:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by htwag@March 21, 2005, 7:51 AM
Except that the problems GM is having because of it's badge-engineering approach simply aren't being reflected at Ford. The Thunderbird while not considered a success by Ford actually hasn't done badly and was intended to eventually go away. Comparing the Lincoln Mark LT to the Blackwood isn't fair, the Mark LT is a better concept and better execution than it's predecessor. Sales for the F-150 are down, you mean after a debut year in which it was Motor Trend's truck of the year, and it outsold Chevy and GMC combined. Frankly I'd be shocked if sales hadn't gone down. Why not have the Montego, it seems to be doing alright and making money for Ford. I'm also not worried about the Escape/Tribute/Mariner triplets considering Mercury dealers have to weld Mariners to the showroom floor to keep them. I'll add the Mariner is almost certianly the best looking compact SUV available anywhere.

Frankly, Ford isn't having the problem's GM is right now. And given their current direction I don't think they need to worry either. GM is probably the worst managed car company in the world right now (perhaps Mitsubishi is worse... maybe) and that's where their problems have arised.
Old 3/22/05, 04:11 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by Moosetang@March 22, 2005, 1:31 PM
ha ha, just a little, how did u notice anyways, with a minor issue like that, i would not be shocked, as it is GM and i would just keep driving the clunker...
Old 3/23/05, 03:59 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Moosetang@March 22, 2005, 1:31 PM

Old 3/23/05, 04:06 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford is guilty of badge engineering as much so as GM, the fact that the cars are not selling is the problem.

If you can tap into two different markets with distinctive offerings on the same chassis, that is a great way to save costs. The Mariner and Escape are a great example.
Old 3/23/05, 09:59 PM
GTR Member

yes, but the GTO is a after thought, it wouldnt be so bad if it was like the mercury capri/ ford mustang
Old 3/24/05, 06:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Jack Frost+March 21, 2005, 8:41 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Frost @ March 21, 2005, 8:41 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-clintoris@March 21, 2005, 8:18 AM
Exactly.
[/b][/quote]

And it will have exactly the same problem it has now: lackluster sales.

Quick Reply: GTO is DEAD