General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

GM had the right idea!!!

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/15, 09:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GM had the right idea!!!

The eco-4 should have been the entry level motor in the mustang. Ford should have put direct injection on the v6 to bump numbers up to about 340 HP then the v8. GM with the Camaro makes sense 275 HP eco-4, 335 HP for the v6, and 455 HP for the v8. I like this platform much better. Good job for GM!!!!!
Old 5/19/15, 10:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Personally, I'd take a Turbo 4 over a NA 6 any day of the week,so the Ford lineup makes sense to me... The GM line-up is more traditional, so that makes sense too...
Old 5/19/15, 10:57 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
General consensus seems to be that Ford is gradually phasing out the normally aspirated V-6. They've dumped a ton of development money into the Eco-boost program....that's all you see in their advertising. Even the GT has the twin turbo EB V-6. Ford seems pretty committed.
Old 5/19/15, 11:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JMan69
Personally, I'd take a Turbo 4 over a NA 6 any day of the week,so the Ford lineup makes sense to me... The GM line-up is more traditional, so that makes sense too...

Even if the v6 had more power, say closer to 350 HP normally aspirated.
Old 5/19/15, 11:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
General consensus seems to be that Ford is gradually phasing out the normally aspirated V-6. They've dumped a ton of development money into the Eco-boost program....that's all you see in their advertising. Even the GT has the twin turbo EB V-6. Ford seems pretty committed.

True, but real world fuel economy numbers aren't any better than the v6.
Old 5/19/15, 12:07 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I prefer Ford's lineup. A "bigger" engine isn't always better and Ford is really going all out on the boosted motors. Coupled with the fact that the V6 won't do well in the foreign markets it makes sense to me to ease the V6 out and replace it with the 2.3.

Especially since it seems the 2.3 will be easier to make gains modding and already has more torque. I just don't see the point in that V6 anymore. Don't get me wrong, its been great and a solid improvement over the V6s of the past, but its not really relevant anymore and has a dwindling usefulness in other markets. I think if I were buying right now I would really only be interested in 2.3PP or a GT350. (I like the GT, alot.. but if I'm going that far I may as well save up longer and enjoy the FPC :drool)
Old 5/19/15, 12:19 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodsmustang
True, but real world fuel economy numbers aren't any better than the v6.
No argument there. But the EB can be used in practically every Ford product across the board. It's less expensive to produce one engine than two that have similar economy and emissions stats. I think as development progresses on the EB we'll see the fuel enonomy numbers improve. As long as the Coyote or some V8 variant stays around a little longer Ford keeps a lot of folks happy. And I wouldn't be surprised if a high performance EB eventually makes it into a Mustang. Dearborn has a lot riding on this motor.
Old 5/19/15, 12:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by future9er24
I prefer Ford's lineup. A "bigger" engine isn't always better and Ford is really going all out on the boosted motors. Coupled with the fact that the V6 won't do well in the foreign markets it makes sense to me to ease the V6 out and replace it with the 2.3.

Especially since it seems the 2.3 will be easier to make gains modding and already has more torque. I just don't see the point in that V6 anymore. Don't get me wrong, its been great and a solid improvement over the V6s of the past, but its not really relevant anymore and has a dwindling usefulness in other markets. I think if I were buying right now I would really only be interested in 2.3PP or a GT350. (I like the GT, alot.. but if I'm going that far I may as well save up longer and enjoy the FPC :drool)
I think ford isnt offering the v6 in other markets, just the ecoboost and the v8. Also another reason ford is getting away form the v6 is that europe charges a tax based on the liter size of the engine so a 2.3 turbo would cost less than a 3.7 v6 in taxes.
Old 5/19/15, 02:54 PM
Bullitt Member

If fords eco boost had closer to 350 HP I think it would have made it a little more enticing.
Old 5/20/15, 11:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford's 3.7 will not be around much longer, which is a real shame because it's a really sweet motor-- a nice balance of power and fuel economy.
Old 5/20/15, 11:24 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
It would be nice if you could get the premium interior and performance pack goodies with all of the available engines. While I'm a V-8 guy all the way, I realize that it's not for everyone. Why should a V-6 guy have to be denied some of the upscale goodies?
Old 5/20/15, 02:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SpectreH
It would be nice if you could get the premium interior and performance pack goodies with all of the available engines. While I'm a V-8 guy all the way, I realize that it's not for everyone. Why should a V-6 guy have to be denied some of the upscale goodies?

What ford and GM are doing is pricing people out of the v8. I could have purchased a used v8 but I decided on something new that had good performance.
Old 5/20/15, 02:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mickstang
Ford's 3.7 will not be around much longer, which is a real shame because it's a really sweet motor-- a nice balance of power and fuel economy.
Very true
Old 5/20/15, 02:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mustangfan410
I think ford isnt offering the v6 in other markets, just the ecoboost and the v8. Also another reason ford is getting away form the v6 is that europe charges a tax based on the liter size of the engine so a 2.3 turbo would cost less than a 3.7 v6 in taxes.

I see what there doing here but I still think a lot of manufactures still have a strong non boosted v6.

Last edited by Rodsmustang; 5/20/15 at 02:59 PM.
Old 5/20/15, 03:12 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I see what there doing here but I still think a lot of manufactures still have a strong non boosted v6.
Fords plan is to move towards more turbo engines. I just looked and only 7 models out of 17 offer a v6 (most being truck or crossover). In another 5 years it'll probably be down to 2 or 3 maybe. GM has a lot more models and brands so they can still develop a new v6 and be confident they can use it in more models. Or I dont know, im talking out of my ***..
Old 5/20/15, 03:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Fords plan is to move towards more turbo engines. I just looked and only 7 models out of 17 offer a v6 (most being truck or crossover). In another 5 years it'll probably be down to 2 or 3 maybe. GM has a lot more models and brands so they can still develop a new v6 and be confident they can use it in more models. Or I dont know, im talking out of my ***..

Good info, I purchased a Chevy traverse for the family because I like how smooth a v6 is in comparison. Also, in my mind a v6 is more reliable, less maintenance (less moving parts). I think GM has the right package for me personally. I've been a Ford man for years but I look at the benefits and strengths in what I'm buying. All manufacture's have some form of turbo model these days but I'm a die hard when it comes to motors.

Last edited by Rodsmustang; 5/20/15 at 03:43 PM.
Old 5/20/15, 03:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Look at some manufactures, Hyundai dropped the turbo 4 in the genesis and Santa Fe for a v6. Also GM uses a turbo 4 for only there smallest Suv.

Last edited by Rodsmustang; 5/20/15 at 03:50 PM.
Old 5/21/15, 06:16 AM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at some manufactures, Hyundai dropped the turbo 4 in the genesis and Santa Fe for a v6. Also GM uses a turbo 4 for only there smallest Suv.

Don't look at SOME mfg's look at the overall trend. The Mercedes 2.0T in the CLA45 pumps out 365 HP (and it beats the 2015 Camaro SS and the 2015 Mustang GT from 0-60). Volvo's new 2.0T with a combination of standard and electric turbo pushes 450-HP. BMW has replaced the in-line 6 with a boosted 4 in some models and VW (the largest or second largest, depending on whether you ask Toyota fans, automotive company in the world) has stated that their engine line-up may be all turbo by 2018. (Source: Detroit News). (Currently they only have 3 N/A motors still available.)

A turbo 4 avoids displacement tax in certain European and Asian Markets and the boosted 4 has an easier time passing US EPA emissions, as well as offering engineers a smaller footprint to shove into the engine compartment making it easier for the design team to incorporate the motor and the mandated crumple zones into the style of the vehicle.

Also, N/A motors cannot match the HP/L output of forced induction motors. The new 5.2 FPC in the Mustang GT350 is rumored to put out 100-HP/L--impressive for a N/A V8. But, the 2.0T in the Mercedes with mild boost puts out 182.5-HP/L. The Volvo 2.0T puts out 225-HP/L. And even more power is on tap.

Once you start looking at the results of extreme boost, you realize just how much FI tips the scales away from larger N/A engines and toward smaller displacement boosted engines. The 2.0T in the Fiesta GRC (not a street motor) is tuned to put out 300-HP/L and has been tuned (by Mountune) to generate 450-HP/L. Cosworth also served up a 2.0T with 300-HP/L.
Old 5/21/15, 06:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
There we go, good info!
Old 5/21/15, 04:19 PM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a peek at Volvo's 2.0T technology. There are actually 3 turbos involved, one is electric, the other two are typical gas driven turbos. There is some debate however whether the electric device is a turbo, or a supercharger, (Source: Automotive News).

Whatever you call it--it's radical.

Quick Reply: GM had the right idea!!!