FTC to start investigating car sales prcatices

http://ftc.gov/opa/2011/03/autodealers.shtm

Maybe they will stop charging ADM's
Old 3/14/11 | 05:04 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by Jza1736
http://ftc.gov/opa/2011/03/autodealers.shtm

Maybe they will stop charging ADM's
Oh yeah, this is fantastic. I'm sure they have nothing better to do than investigate a business that is already struggling in this economy. If the FTC wants to do something useful, they should look into gas prices instead of consistently turning a blind eye to something that consumers suffer with every day, and affects the price of EVERYTHING we buy.
Old 3/14/11 | 06:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

John, if a business is struggling, that's one thing, and I agree, but if a business is struggling and then, in effect, pillaging a customer to exit their struggling, that's a whole other odor of goat. So I don't exactly agree with your comment, but I understand it.

RE: gas prices, first one must look at oil prices, and for that, simply execute the jobs of the speculators... but one wonders how the US can do that to other countries... and besides, there's people currently in government who think that gas should be $6-10 per gallon so we migrate to Nissan Leafs and Chevy Volts.

RE: the actual investigation... meh. much ado about people who are stupid and can't say 'Um, how about no?" when presented with a bad deal and/or don't bother to read "you will be very angry about this here and here and here... when you figure it out 3 months later."

RE: ADMs... that'll not stop, see the above stupid people issue.

Last edited by houtex; 3/14/11 at 06:24 PM.
Old 3/14/11 | 06:27 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by houtex
John, if a business is struggling, that's one thing, and I agree, but if a business is struggling and then, in effect, pillaging a customer to exit their struggling, that's a whole other odor of goat. So I don't exactly agree with your comment, but I understand it.

RE: gas prices, first one must look at oil prices, and for that, simply execute the jobs of the speculators... but one wonders how the US can do that to other countries... and besides, there's people currently in government who think that gas should be $6-10 per gallon so we migrate to Nissan Leafs and Chevy Volts.

RE: the actual investigation... meh. much ado about people who are stupid and can't say 'Um, how about no?" when presented with a deal and/or don't bother to read "you will be very angry about this here and here and here... when you figure it out 3 months later."
No, I'm with you. But people have been being taken advantage of at car dealers for decades... just bad timing, that is all... but I digress, gotta start sometime if there's a problem. There's just more important things to be worrying about IMO, and I'm just sick of government seemingly playing more and more of a role in the lives of people and business. I was going to go into it more earlier, but since this isn't the P&R section I'll just stop now.
Old 3/14/11 | 08:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.

Oh yeah, this is fantastic. I'm sure they have nothing better to do than investigate a business that is already struggling in this economy. If the FTC wants to do something useful, they should look into gas prices instead of consistently turning a blind eye to something that consumers suffer with every day, and affects the price of EVERYTHING we buy.
Great comment. I agree whole heartedly. They rape us cause they can. We need gasoline. We should help the lybians get gadhafi out on the deal that we get all the oil. We help you get your country from a tyrant. You give us the oil.
Old 3/14/11 | 08:23 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Everett
Great comment. I agree whole heartedly. They rape us cause they can. We need gasoline. We should help the lybians get gadhafi out on the deal that we get all the oil. We help you get your country from a tyrant. You give us the oil.
Hey, trade one tyrant for another, who wouldn't go for that!

I dont care for ADMs myself, but where is the problem really? Cars are a commodity and they are just following an oft qouted economics law. Its up to the public to decide what something is and isn't worth.

Its just unfortunate that cars like the Boss and GT500 are readily affordable for alot of people but the costs are skewed by the sheer number of people that have large amounts of discretionary income and dont have a problem paying huge mark-ups.

If the feds were serious about cleaning things up, all they would have to do is allow vehicle manufacturers to sell and finance directly. They do that and it would change things overnight.

Last edited by bob; 3/14/11 at 08:32 PM.