General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Ford vs. Others

Search this Thread

Old 4/30/05, 02:02 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes, u are correct, very very correct, their si a vehicle for everyone. i think ford makes the best vehicle in each class of vehicle i would buy from, but thats just me.
Old 4/30/05, 02:08 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by bigred0383@April 28, 2005, 2:42 AM
You know, I am a Ford guy until death, but I learned the hard way that "Ford is the be all end all greatest, and everything else stinks" just is unrealistic, ignorant, childish, and plain silly. Does that mean I am going to start buying imports? Of course not. I am a loyalist, I will always go to Ford for what I need, and as many here would, if it comes down to it, put up with more than I should have to, so I can stay loyal to the company. But the regular consumer, by far the majority, shouldn't and don't. I am not saying that Ford makes a crappy car, they are more or less competitive in their segments, but do they (always) make cars better than everybody else? Sorry to say it, but no. Don't take it from me, go look at sales figures. The fact of the matter is, until lately, other car companies, mostly foriegn, make a better, more reliable car, at a cheaper price, with better consumer benefits. And the key word in the above sentence is lately, because after all the crap that Ford takes, it is producing cars that nobody thought they could. Go drive a 500. Tell me that isn't just a stinking nice car. Take a ride in a new F-150, tell me you wouldn't pick it over the competition. Drive a new Mustang, and tell me you aren't in love. This is a great time to be a Blue Oval man (or woman). There is nothing wrong with taking pride in what they have accomplished, but don't let it get to your head, or we will just turn off people with our attitudes, and slip into the decline of the 90's again.

I have people come to me all the time for car advice, and as a family member or friend, I can't my bias lead them to a car purchase that isn't right for them. Sure I always give them FoMoCo products to consider, but I always make sure they get what is right for them (my dad, an Excursion, my aunt, a Prius). The good news is, lately, they have been much more excited about the Fords than before. I know I am excited, I know we all are, but you have to give credit where credit is due. Sometimes that credit is to the other team. Being a good loser is just as hard as being a gracious winner. And I don't know about you, but we are chalking up more W's than ever these days.

Sorry about the long post, but I feel better now.
Everything you said is true. I would always pick my Intrepid over my Camry if we're talking which car is more powerfull, which car is more fun to drive, which car looks better and so on. But here comes big BUT. Camry (120,000 miles) is paid off and Intrepid (89,000 miles) will be paid off this summer. Intrepid is ready for junk yard. So many problems, I almost got killed last winter when winshield wipers stoped working during snow storm. Camry, on the other hands, runs great. We had it for about year and a half, during that time my mom added over 30,000 miles, but it still runs great. No problems at all. Another thing is, last summer I wanted to trade Intrepid for a Taurus SHO. Best offer I got was $1,300. Last year, when my mom was in accident with Camry, insurance company gave us an offer. We could fix Camry (damage was about $5,000) or we could take $5,200. So Camry is worth almost 4 times more, even though it have 30,000 miles more and its 3 years older.
Same thing is with Ford. Sure, they're fun to drive, they look great, and they're not expensive. But after they get 100,000 miles you're gonna spend a lot of time at mechanic. If you're gonna buy new car every 4-5 years, sure go with domestic, you'll get 0% interest rate, you'll get money back. But when you trade that car few years later, you'll get a lot less for Ford than you will get for Toyota.
500 is a nice car, but its gonna get killed by competition. Its one of the slowest sedan (only 200 hp), and its expensive ($22,000 starting price). Its gonna get killed by Camry, Accord, Impala, Corrolla, Civic, maybe even Magnum. F150 is also nice vehicle, but my 1st choice for truck is Honda Ridgeline. I was never Honda's fan, but I really like Ridgeline. Its little pricey (starting price $28,000), but I could get over that part. I'm not fan of new Mustang. I liked concept, but I'm not fan of production model.
Old 4/30/05, 02:35 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Fordracing200 Posted Today+ 01:48 PM --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fordracing200 Posted Today @ 01:48 PM )</div><div class='quotemain'>i see, i like Ford because in eery class of vehicle i like i havent found anything better.
Example-
F-series, dodge is close, but ford still beats them.[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Fordracing200
@April 30, 2005, 2:05 PM
yes, u are correct, very very correct, their si a vehicle for everyone. i think ford makes the best vehicle in each class of vehicle i would buy from, but thats just me.
[/quote]
doug, i'd like to apologize right now for being so hard on you earlier. i guess arin went overbaord, again lol.
i'd also like to congradulate you and thank you for finally saying something civil towards another manufacturer. im glad you can cow accept that Ford isnt always the best for everyone.

props to ya for understanding that everone has different preferences and needs. its great to see you not outright bashing another company, and still displaying your loyalty for Ford. it may have been hard, but its the right thing.

now
personally, i am a die hard ford guy. i love most of the current cars they maek (although i think the Escape needs a makeover)

but there are some other cars i like. my two all time favorite off-roaders are the Jeep Wrangler n Ford Bronco.

i even have a thing for a few Imports. i love the RX7s and RX8s. beautiful cars. not to mention the Nissan/Datsun Z cars (although the original 70s ones are the best IMO)

as for sedans, if i had my way i'd be importing a Ford Falcon GTP but i do like the Charger/Magnum, though not so much the 300C

when it comes to trucks, my heart goes out for the new F150s and superduties. those are the sexiest trucks alive. but again, the dodges arent too far behind.

and dowmestic sprts cars. theres this one ford i like.... i think its called the....umm...mustang? is that right?
but honestly, i do like the mid 80s 'maros, and the later Fbodies. bot to mention the new Goat (great sleeper) and the vette.

ever since i was turned on by this whole "well rounded car enthusiast" thing, i've been loving it
Old 4/30/05, 02:49 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by Fordracing200@April 30, 2005, 2:05 PM
I see things differently. Here are few examples.
Sedan - Camry, Accord, Altima, even Impala are better than Five Hundred and Taurus.
Small sedan - Corrolla and Civic are better than Focus.
Wagon - Magnum is better than Freestyle
Mini van - Freestar is one of the worst Mini vans on the market.

Maybe F-Series and Explorer are the best in its class, but that's pretty much it.
Old 4/30/05, 05:04 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by Red Star+April 30, 2005, 3:11 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Red Star @ April 30, 2005, 3:11 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by bigred0383@April 28, 2005, 2:42 AM
You know, I am a Ford guy until death, but I learned the hard way that "Ford is the be all end all greatest, and everything else stinks" just is unrealistic, ignorant, childish, and plain silly. Does that mean I am going to start buying imports? Of course not. I am a loyalist, I will always go to Ford for what I need, and as many here would, if it comes down to it, put up with more than I should have to, so I can stay loyal to the company. But the regular consumer, by far the majority, shouldn't and don't. I am not saying that Ford makes a crappy car, they are more or less competitive in their segments, but do they (always) make cars better than everybody else? Sorry to say it, but no. Don't take it from me, go look at sales figures. The fact of the matter is, until lately, other car companies, mostly foriegn, make a better, more reliable car, at a cheaper price, with better consumer benefits. And the key word in the above sentence is lately, because after all the crap that Ford takes, it is producing cars that nobody thought they could. Go drive a 500. Tell me that isn't just a stinking nice car. Take a ride in a new F-150, tell me you wouldn't pick it over the competition. Drive a new Mustang, and tell me you aren't in love. This is a great time to be a Blue Oval man (or woman). There is nothing wrong with taking pride in what they have accomplished, but don't let it get to your head, or we will just turn off people with our attitudes, and slip into the decline of the 90's again.

I have people come to me all the time for car advice, and as a family member or friend, I can't my bias lead them to a car purchase that isn't right for them. Sure I always give them FoMoCo products to consider, but I always make sure they get what is right for them (my dad, an Excursion, my aunt, a Prius). The good news is, lately, they have been much more excited about the Fords than before. I know I am excited, I know we all are, but you have to give credit where credit is due. Sometimes that credit is to the other team. Being a good loser is just as hard as being a gracious winner. And I don't know about you, but we are chalking up more W's than ever these days.

Sorry about the long post, but I feel better now.
Everything you said is true. I would always pick my Intrepid over my Camry if we're talking which car is more powerfull, which car is more fun to drive, which car looks better and so on. But here comes big BUT. Camry (120,000 miles) is paid off and Intrepid (89,000 miles) will be paid off this summer. Intrepid is ready for junk yard. So many problems, I almost got killed last winter when winshield wipers stoped working during snow storm. Camry, on the other hands, runs great. We had it for about year and a half, during that time my mom added over 30,000 miles, but it still runs great. No problems at all. Another thing is, last summer I wanted to trade Intrepid for a Taurus SHO. Best offer I got was $1,300. Last year, when my mom was in accident with Camry, insurance company gave us an offer. We could fix Camry (damage was about $5,000) or we could take $5,200. So Camry is worth almost 4 times more, even though it have 30,000 miles more and its 3 years older.
Same thing is with Ford. Sure, they're fun to drive, they look great, and they're not expensive. But after they get 100,000 miles you're gonna spend a lot of time at mechanic. If you're gonna buy new car every 4-5 years, sure go with domestic, you'll get 0% interest rate, you'll get money back. But when you trade that car few years later, you'll get a lot less for Ford than you will get for Toyota.
500 is a nice car, but its gonna get killed by competition. Its one of the slowest sedan (only 200 hp), and its expensive ($22,000 starting price). Its gonna get killed by Camry, Accord, Impala, Corrolla, Civic, maybe even Magnum. F150 is also nice vehicle, but my 1st choice for truck is Honda Ridgeline. I was never Honda's fan, but I really like Ridgeline. Its little pricey (starting price $28,000), but I could get over that part. I'm not fan of new Mustang. I liked concept, but I'm not fan of production model.
[/b]

ridgeline is FWD until u put it in 4wd, theirfore i dont like it and the looks are bad. the 500 is too slow but very beautiful

Originally posted by future9er24@April 30, 2005, 3:38 PM
Originally posted by Fordracing200 Posted Today@ 01:48 PM
i see, i like Ford because in eery class of vehicle i like i havent found anything better.
Example-
F-series, dodge is close, but ford still beats them.
Originally posted by Fordracing200@April 30, 2005, 2:05 PM
doug, i'd like to apologize right now for being so hard on you earlier. i guess arin went overbaord, again lol.
i'd also like to congradulate you and thank you for finally saying something civil towards another manufacturer. im glad you can cow accept that Ford isnt always the best for everyone.

props to ya for understanding that everone has different preferences and needs. its great to see you not outright bashing another company, and still displaying your loyalty for Ford. it may have been hard, but its the right thing.

now
personally, i am a die hard ford guy. i love most of the current cars they maek (although i think the Escape needs a makeover)

but there are some other cars i like. my two all time favorite off-roaders are the Jeep Wrangler n Ford Bronco.

i even have a thing for a few Imports. i love the RX7s and RX8s. beautiful cars. not to mention the Nissan/Datsun Z cars (although the original 70s ones are the best IMO)

as for sedans, if i had my way i'd be importing a Ford Falcon GTP but i do like the Charger/Magnum, though not so much the 300C

when it comes to trucks, my heart goes out for the new F150s and superduties. those are the sexiest trucks alive. but again, the dodges arent too far behind.

and dowmestic sprts cars. theres this one ford i like.... i think its called the....umm...mustang? is that right?
but honestly, i do like the mid 80s 'maros, and the later Fbodies. bot to mention the new Goat (great sleeper) and the vette.

ever since i was turned on by this whole "well rounded car enthusiast" thing, i've been loving it
I appreciate it, i LOVE ford and i like Dodge, but nothing GM makes impresses me. Super Duty is not Sexy, it is F'in Gorgeous!!!!!! Lightning is Sexy, sleek, and hot.
Originally posted by Red Star@April 30, 2005, 3:52 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Fordracing200
@April 30, 2005, 2:05 PM

I see things differently. Here are few examples.
Sedan - Camry, Accord, Altima, even Impala are better than Five Hundred and Taurus.
Small sedan - Corrolla and Civic are better than Focus.
Wagon - Magnum is better than Freestyle
Mini van - Freestar is one of the worst Mini vans on the market.

Maybe F-Series and Explorer are the best in its class, but that's pretty much it.
[/quote]
Explorer-:notnice:
anything is better than the ford fungus
i dont like the freestyle but i wouldnt buy a wagon
i love our windstar, 58k miles, 2000 Windstar, only problem, we just replaced the brakes today because normal wear. Freestar is one of the best vans out their.
Old 4/30/05, 05:40 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Freestar is one of the worst van on the market. No wonder Ford is planing to kill it and replace it with Fairlane (which is not even a van). Watch Car and Driver more often. They recently compared Dodge Caravan, Toyota Sienna, Nissan Quest, Honda Odyssey and Ford Freestar. Freestar finished dead last.
Old 4/30/05, 08:42 PM
GTR Member

i didnt ask them, they always rank by hp and such, i love our windstar, and i would definitly buy a freestar
Old 4/30/05, 08:48 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by Fordracing200@April 30, 2005, 7:45 PM
they always rank by hp and such
nope, they rank everything
Old 4/30/05, 08:51 PM
GTR Member

i no, but they are focused on how fast it is and whats the most fun to drive, its not a race car, its a van
Old 4/30/05, 09:25 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by Fordracing200@April 30, 2005, 7:54 PM
i no, but they are focused on how fast it is and whats the most fun to drive, its not a race car, its a van
fun to drive factor i'm pretty sure was part of it, but i'm sure they also included room, family amenities, cargo space, power for towing 7 people around, blah blah blah
Old 4/30/05, 09:26 PM
Cobra Member

The most trouble free car I have ever owned was a first generation Toyota MR2. Nothing broke on that car, it handled like a slot car and returned 37 mpg on the highway. When my beloved ex wife drove off with it into the sunset it had 70k on the clock and it still had lots of tread on the original tires. It was in for service twice--at 30k and 60k. Neither was expensive. I loved that car.

A while later I bought an older Alfa Spider. Lots of fun to drive but not so easy to find someone to fix it when it needed it, which was a lot more often than my MR2. I'm not sure I would ever buy another one.

Having said all that, I've got to tell you that even though the quality may be less than world class, my 95 Mustang GT vert is my favorite car in over 40 years of driving.

I'm sure the quality of the new Mustangs is great. Maybe not yet Toyota level, but for the price and performance, who cares?
Old 4/30/05, 09:28 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Found the Car and Driver article on Freestar against the other Minivans... there is not one word on HP
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...3&page_number=2
Old 5/4/05, 10:14 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by thezeppelin8@April 30, 2005, 9:31 PM
Found the Car and Driver article on Freestar against the other Minivans... there is not one word on HP
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...3&page_number=2
Wow, talk about losing it's grip, Dodge had a strangle hold on the top of the minivan market for a long time, they came in 4th behind Honda, Toyota and Nissan. Really says something.
Old 5/4/05, 01:05 PM
GTR Member

our windstar is amazing, i dont like car and driver. We have no problem, we have had the seats out and had it loaded to the door before and we have also had 7 people in it, and it is bigger than the dodge van, it is 48inchs wide, not 47 like dodge