Ford Rant

Search this Thread

Old 8/4/04, 06:22 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
From . . http://www.autoextremist.com

by Peter M. DeLorenzo

Dearborn, We Have A Problem.

Detroit. Okay, let's get a few things straight. The Ford Motor Company has had about as glorious of a racing and high-performance racing history as any car company in the world. From the famous "999" racer to the glory days of the Cobra, the Ford GT era at Le Mans, Formula 1, Indianapolis, the Trans-Am Mustangs, drag racing, stock car racing - you name it - when Ford has put its mind to it, it has conquered the world.

And I had the best seat in the house for one of those chapters. Back in 1963, when my brother Tony was working at Pontiac Motor Division for the summer, in the engineering department, there was an "early" Shelby-American Cobra in then-General Manager John Z. DeLorean's personal "test" fleet. By "early" - I mean a 260 V8 with no side vents, in triple Black. (It was common for car companies to check out each other's stuff back then - and still is today).

My brother observed that the Cobra, which had been all the "buzz" in the car magazines as "the Corvette killer" back then, remained parked most of the time, unappreciated (probably because most people didn't even know what it was or understand its significance). So, since our father, Tony (who ran PR for General Motors at the time) and John Z. knew each other, my brother put in a request through John Z.'s secretary to "borrow" the Cobra one weekend.

Needless to say, the request was granted, and I'll never forget that hot summer late Friday afternoon when Tony rounded our corner and pulled into the driveway in this mean little Black machine that was about as far removed from a Corvette as you could get. After years of being indoctrinated as to why Corvettes were cool (that was part of the older brother/younger brother car ritual dynamic), here was this small, almost spindly-looking British-origin sports car with wire wheels and reeking of Conolly leather, which announced its presence with the unmistakable bark of an all-American V8 - sitting there hunkered down in our garage, just waiting to be let loose again.

Where the Corvette was bulky and ponderous, the Cobra was light and lithe - almost fragile. And while the Corvette was fast, the 260 V8 Cobra was blistering fast because of its fantastic power-to-weight ratio, and we spent the entire weekend humiliating every Corvette we came across up and down Woodward and wherever else we encountered one.

The Cobra was a revelation. It combined timeless design (an AC cars design influenced heavily by the early '50s Ferrari Barchetta), light weight, cat-quick agility and thundering American Ford V8 power - with an on-the-road presence that has, for all practical purposes, been unmatched ever since.

To this day the Cobra remains, in my estimation, the single greatest sports car ever built.

We went on to "borrow" that Cobra for at least a half-dozen other weekends that summer. Then, we engineered several "swaps" with Ford PR where a Corvette Sting Ray would be dropped off in Dearborn and a Cobra would be dropped off at our house in trade. We had the pleasure to drive a variety of 289 Cobras over the next couple of years - including one memorable extended weekend when we had a Cobra and a '64 Fuel-Injected Sting Ray Coupe (that had been personally "massaged" by Zora Arkus-Duntov and his crew) to play with at the same time. We even traveled to the old Meadowdale Raceway in Illinois to see the factory Cobra team, led by the legendary Ken Miles, evaporate away from the rest of the "A" production field. Then, we watched as the team took the windshield off of Miles' Cobra to make it a "modified" - so he could run in the United States Road Racing Championship for sports racing cars, where he finished fourth overall.

In short, we had the opportunity to experience the Cobra phenomenon at its peak, and it left an indelible impression. Ironically, my brother went on to fame and glory as one of the most successful Corvette drivers of all time, ending the Cobra dominance in SCCA "A" Production racing (after teaching me how to drive a stick on a "borrowed" '65 Shelby Mustang from Ford) and scoring many wins in endurance road-racing events. And I ended up doing what I do today after a long, circuitous route through the advertising world.

I'm recounting all of this because on August 12, in Pebble Beach, Ford is showing a "tweaked" version of the Cobra concept (now in Coupe form) that they first displayed at the Detroit Auto Show last January, at a private media event. This car is supposed to be the limited-production successor of the new Ford GT production car when that sports car's 3,000-unit model run ends in 2006. This modern-day production Cobra is supposed to be a direct competitor to the Viper and the next-generation version of the ZO6 Corvette.

This is all well and good - at least on the surface. I love the new GT and the Cobra concept - and I applaud Ford for doing them. I appreciate the fact that some at Ford have enough of a pulse and the cojones to turn out these kinds of high-performance machines (although let's be clear, neither car will ever approach the impact of the originals).

Ford considers these cars and the new Mustang (which is sensational, by the way) as their "heritage" cars. In other words, they lavish attention on these icons because they represent Ford's "glory days" and its rich competition/high-performance legacy.

And that is great, but my problem is this:

If Ford had paid as much attention to their anemic and shockingly unremarkable future passenger car lineup as they did to the Cobra concept and Ford GT - I might be more optimistic as to Ford's long-term chances.

If Ford applied just half the effort in making their future production cars bristle with the kind of soul and character evident in their "heritage" cars, then Ford enthusiasts and every day consumers might have more to look forward to.

But by any measure, the upcoming Ford 500, the Fusion and the Freestyle sport wagon are not only uninspiring to look at (in spite of being built on the outstanding Mazda6 platform architecture), but they're going to be indistinguishable from their competition. These new cars may be perfectly competent, but as we all know by now, being merely good enough just isn't good enough in this business anymore.

Ford continues to make great waves and have fun with their feel-good "heritage" cars, but their passenger cars appear to be falling behind before they even hit the starting gate.

Ford desperately needs a Grand Slam home run - a "standard" Ford that possesses all of the attitude, heritage and legacy of performance that its greatest passenger cars once had. And no, I'm not talking about some Yester-Tech Nostalgia Rod here, but a contemporary automobile that unapologetically says "Ford" in the very best possible way.

Ford executives continue to watch their car sales plummet (the July figures just in were dismal again), yet they dismiss and deflect any criticism by suggesting that when they get their new products "on-line" - everything will be all better again.

But at some point, it needs to sink in at Ford that consumers have actually gotten used to the fact that Ford has nothing to offer them - and that when Ford finally says, "Here you go, folks, check out our brand spanking new product lineup!" - a lot of people will just keep right on walking by.

Ford is flat-out floundering, and they're running out of excuses - fast. They've squandered opportunity after opportunity over the last few years to make just one memorable, Ford passenger car that wasn't a re-do or a new take on their heritage, and now they're trying to play "catch-up" in a business where playing "catch-up" has become a virtual impossibility.

Dearborn, we have a problem.

Thanks for listening, see you next Wednesday.

Peter M. DeLorenzo founded Autoextremist.com - an Internet magazine devoted to news, commentary and analysis of the automotive industry, automotive marketing, strategy and product development - on June 1, 1999. Since then, Autoextremist.com has become a weekly "must-read" for leading professionals within and outside the industry, including top executives at the car companies, suppliers, dealers, journalists, financial analysts, enthusiasts, and people directly involved in motorsports. Prior to launching the site, Peter spent more than two decades in automotive advertising and marketing, holding top-level positions as CD and ECD at agencies including DMB&B, William Esty, BBDO and Campbell-Ewald. In addition to his editorial work on Autoextremist.com, Mr. DeLorenzo occasionally consults for enlightened automobile companies. The opinions expressed in his columns are his, and his alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of his clients - JJP

Copyright 1999-2004 Autoextremist.com, Inc.
Old 8/4/04, 06:47 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know if I would blame Ford for the problem. More and more people are buying SUVs and trucks. If this is what the consumer wants, then Ford can make an M5 beater that gets 40 MPG, and costs under $20K, and it will still be outsold, by SUVs (granted I'm taken this to extreme, but you get my point). For whatever reason, people have fallen in love with SUVs, and trend does not show any signs of reversing. The Dodge magnum is interesting, because it reaches into so many potential markets. Maybe Ford will come out with a hot rod wagon. We shall see.
Old 8/4/04, 07:02 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do agree to a point. I got a chance to sit in the 500, I find the interior striking, but the exterior styling alittle bland. The freestyle does not interest me at all, just lacks the bravado that SUV and crossover shoppers will probably be looking for.

The 300C is just about the most exciting affordable sedan on the market right now IMO.

I am sure the Futura (Fusion??) sedan will be much nicer looking, considering it takes after the 500 concept.

Note to Ford: I hate the new nomenclature, the pay marketing guys tons of money to come up with a name that starts with "F" they need something a little more creative,

I think Ford needs some rwd cars that blow the competiton away, how about a Falcon for Ford and a Cougar for Mercury? those would definitely get attention.
Old 8/4/04, 07:23 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally posted by mr-mstng@August 4, 2004, 6:50 AM
I don't know if I would blame Ford for the problem. More and more people are buying SUVs and trucks. If this is what the consumer wants, then Ford can make an M5 beater that gets 40 MPG, and costs under $20K, and it will still be outsold, by SUVs (granted I'm taken this to extreme, but you get my point). For whatever reason, people have fallen in love with SUVs, and trend does not show any signs of reversing. The Dodge magnum is interesting, because it reaches into so many potential markets. Maybe Ford will come out with a hot rod wagon. We shall see.
I think that is part of the point. Ford was/is the leader in the Truck/SUV market. They standout (especially in sales figures) from most of their competitors. And they were the leader of the aero-generation of autos with the '83 Thunderbird, and '86 Taurus. Now as technically advanced as the 500/Freestyle (AWD, CVT, etc.), especially for projected price point, do they cars “jump†out at the guy buying a Camry? Or do they need too?

If Ford had built the 427, and offered the car with a V6, and a V8, don’t you think the car might have “jumped†out at the average car buyer? Could Ford had built the 427 for a comparable price or a new global RWD chassis? I don’t know, but if the 500/Freestyle don’t work out we may find out and it may be too late for Ford.

I know I have left many details out of this little post, for purpose of debate. I figure, let this post drum up some conversation.
Old 8/5/04, 11:49 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Ford went really conservative on the styling of the 500 because of what happened with the last Taurus redesign. They took a big chance with the radical look and lost. So they're playing it safe with the 500.

I think they are probably on the right track. In the midsize car market, bland and conservative sells. Look at the Camry and Accord...
Old 8/5/04, 04:36 PM
Cobra Member

For the past decade or two, Ford really hasn't had many good looking cars...
I'm hoping with J Mays and his design crew just now cranking out their first designs for Ford, we are at the tip of a whole new iceberg...

With the 500, being constrained is a plus as the target market is a bit, ehem, eldery...with the 400 (that's the Futura) hopefully it will look like the 427 concept...
Old 8/5/04, 07:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Galaxie@August 4, 2004, 7:05 AM
The 300C is just about the most exciting affordable sedan on the market right now IMO.

Have you sat or drivin a 300C, I thought the interior of this car is crap! Every thing creaked and rattled and this was in a brand new car off the dealers lot! Exterior might look nice, but if it was my car I could care less about the exterior and more about the interior because that is where I ammost of the time!
Old 8/18/04, 02:37 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[color=#4269E7]
Originally posted by mr-mstng@August 4, 2004, 6:50 AM
Do you know why people are buying SUVs and trucks??
Dodges new car lineup is selling like hot cakes. I am constantly amazed at how many 300s, magnums, and whatever that chrysler car like the magnum is. Do you know why??

People dont like,and never have liked,and never will like the boring cabforward look of cars. they look small,they dont inspire confidence as far as safety goes, and there just isnt enough sheetmetal to them. The new dodges look HUGE. They LOOK safe,secure,and comfortable, while still having that cool factor. And they are fast and perform well.

The 500 is boring . Its styling looks 10 years out dated. It has a nice interior,but I wouldnt want to walk out my front door and see one in my driveway. If I pulled into a parking lot in one,I wouldnt turn around and look at it as I walked away. Its just dull.
And why arent there any 2 door full size sedans anymore?? I HATE 4 door cars.

GM has a number of 2 door cars. With plans for more. Ford has 1. With no plans for more.

I WANT 2 DOORS darn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And give me something that has a hood.

Old 8/18/04, 04:25 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by snakeeyes+August 18, 2004, 1:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (snakeeyes @ August 18, 2004, 1:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [color=#4269E7]<!--QuoteBegin-mr-mstng@August 4, 2004, 6:50 AM
Do you know why people are buying SUVs and trucks??
Dodges new car lineup is selling like hot cakes. I am constantly amazed at how many 300s, magnums, and whatever that chrysler car like the magnum is. Do you know why??

People dont like,and never have liked,and never will like the boring cabforward look of cars. they look small,they dont inspire confidence as far as safety goes, and there just isnt enough sheetmetal to them. The new dodges look HUGE. They LOOK safe,secure,and comfortable, while still having that cool factor. And they are fast and perform well.

The 500 is boring . Its styling looks 10 years out dated. It has a nice interior,but I wouldnt want to walk out my front door and see one in my driveway. If I pulled into a parking lot in one,I wouldnt turn around and look at it as I walked away. Its just dull.
And why arent there any 2 door full size sedans anymore?? I HATE 4 door cars.

GM has a number of 2 door cars. With plans for more. Ford has 1. With no plans for more.

I WANT 2 DOORS darn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And give me something that has a hood.

[/b][/quote]
and people are stupid for believing that SUV's are safer. just because they look it, doesnt mean they are. SUV's are the most dangerous cars to be driving on the road, right next to the pinto.

if i ran this world, there would be no SUV's, except for people that need them. i live in Los Angeles, and its amazing how many 5 foot tall ladies drive these humoungoid monster of an "suv" BY THEMSELVES!!!
i wish coupes and sports cars would get more attention, and get more of the funds.
oh well, just my two pennies
Old 8/18/04, 10:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
darn that guy(the original story) is a whiner

Fusion is looking up to be a sharp little car in the heart of sedan competion, the mid-size segment. The competitors from Toy, Honda, Nissan and GM are not exactly WILD. Wild looking sedans do not work well in thier segments. The idea is to keep them stately, well equipped, and affordable. The 18-30k market is a bread-and-butter market segment for sedans. I think fusion will have a little more flamboyancy, because sub-20/low 20k sedans do attract young buyers. It should be on par with its platform sibling in its level of style, a little more then average, but not too much.

500 is NOT ment to take on the 300, it is a direct competitor to Avalon. It is a little larger then Camry and Accord. With extra features like AWD, its size makes it a possible 'loose' conquest vehicle against them without lining right up, its price makes it attractive to people that just cant quite make it to a volvo or lexus, etc.; or traditionally American buyers that arent big on gimicks, but just cant bring themselves to buy a Taurus(I dont blame them). It offers ROOM, and practicality. Its trunk can offset most sedan objections that push people into suv's sometimes. Dodge took a similar aproach when it released the Dakota, you cant directly line it up against either the compact OR full-size pickups, and its size makes it attractive in itself. It is crucial that Ford keeps the Taurus around a little longer image-wise(as well as a fleet bread-winner to make more money, and get as many 500's out into private hands asap) to make sure it can be kept seperate from the newer cars, and die a quiet death. It think even that alone makes it clear that they are not related in any way when they are both on lots.

Ford is on the bubble of a flury of new engines and flexible platforms. I think that Chrysler is demonstrating that Americans WILL buy Aamerican 'hot' sedans as well. I am guessing that Ford has a crown replacement that will be able to be transformed into both a performance sedan and a fleet vehicle at the same time. The NAME Crown Vic HAS to go away. The new stang platform lends well to possible 4 door stretches, and performance coupes for Merc and Lincoln as well.

I could also see a possible T-bird replacement with something wild like a s-197 based forty-nine if ford has any *****. Ford needs to exploit the V10, the aluminum 5.4, and eventually(COME ON ALREADY) the hurricane in cars.

Personally I think 500 and Fusion are right on track, 500 just needs the 3.5 ASAP. Its almost painfull watching Ford wait around with this engine :bang: . They SHOULD do some hot coupes for lincoln/merc and a forty-nine hot rod. I hope to heck they go along the lines of the 427 for the vic replacement, the 500 buys them 'room' to get a little wilder with a rwd sedan, and not getting stuck with ONLY a flashy full-size to offer that may not rub everyone the right way. Two totally different aproaches for similar size vehicle leaves the doors open for both buyers now, and buyers in the future no matter which way energy costs go. The three bar grille actually showing up on the fusion gives me hope that there were plans for the 427 concept, oh-and Bronco.