General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Ferrari P4/5 by Pininfarina

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/06, 10:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome. Can't wait to see it in person. The countdown is down to eight days. I'ts going to be amazing, expect many, many pictures from me and Arin. I've also decided to write up an article for a class project, I'll place it here when finished.

Peter Hatch
Old 8/15/06, 05:01 PM

Well I have completed the majority of the Article and have submitted it to Motortrend, Road and Track, and Winding Road. Road and Track said definately not, Motortrend has not responded, and Winding Road I am expecting the most chance from. A small segment though, just to boost enthusiasm around here. The unveiling is in three days!

Revised version

"You find yourself in the presence of Pininfarina's newest creation. You taste the octane filling the air. You smell the exhaust, feeling it completely fill your lungs. You hear the gentle purr of the idle instantly spike to the redline, she then screams like a banshee. Her curves are timeless, forever to be lusted after. She is dripping in red paint; her blood. That paint seeming to pulse, her aluminum heart sending 660 horses surging throughout her own galloping body. Looking skyward from inside the glass cockpit reminds you of how much power she has lain in your fingertips, limitless."

Hopefully the rest will be available in some magazine soon

Peter
Old 8/15/06, 05:06 PM
Post *****

fingers are still crossed ol buddy. itds making it awfully difficult to typ :-p

as i said before, i like it
Old 8/16/06, 01:53 AM

Critiques are very much welcome, by the way. Seeing as this is my first article I've written I don't expect it to be perfect.

Peter
Old 8/16/06, 02:07 AM

You find yourself in the presence of the newest creation from Pininfarina. Key in the ignition, lights on. Engine start. Hear her gentle purr, the idle. You can taste the octane filling the air. Smell the exhaust, you feel it filling your lungs. Her curves are timeless, so reminiscent of her past life. She knows she is a race car, she howls it through her flaming V12 heart. She is dripping in red paint; her blood. That paint seemingly pulsing. Her aluminum heart sending 660 horses surging throughout her own galloping body. Garage door opens, she is unleashed. She purrs as she leaves her cage. You are inside of her, at her mercy. You take her to the open road where she can stretch her legs. She accelerates like no car ever could. The seat of your pants telling you that you need to brake, to lift off the gas, but you can't. You can only stay there. Accelerating, leaving all else behind. From inside her you can hear everything. At full speed you hear her roar, as though her kitten like purr had grown into something much more feirce, the lion inside her bravely begging to be driven hard. You see everything around you. Looking skyward from inside her glass cockpit you reminds you of how much power she has lain in your fingertips, limitless.

Peter
Old 8/16/06, 10:22 PM

Well guys, as seen here as well, there have been no positive replies from any magazine. I am not surprised however, but would really like to know everyones opinion on my article.
----------

A Dream From Within A White Envelope.

You find yourself in the presence of the newest creation from Pininfarina. Key in the ignition, lights on. Engine start. Hear her gentle purr, the idle. You can taste the octane in the air. Smell the exhaust, feel it filling your lungs. Her curves are timeless, so reminiscent of her past life. She knows she is a race car. She howls it through her flaming V12 heart. She is dripping in red paint, her blood. That paint seemingly pulsing. Her aluminum heart sending 660 horses surging throughout her own galloping body. Garage door opens, she is unleashed. She purrs as she leaves her cage. You are inside of her, at her mercy.

You take her to the open road where she can stretch her legs. She accelerates like no car ever could. The seat of your pants telling you that you need to lift off the gas, to brake, but you can't. You can only stay there. Accelerating. Looking at her speedometer, 100 is long past. 180, flashes by instantaneously. 220, and here she is in her element, Where she can make you forget, make you feel free of all daily hassles. From inside her you can hear everything. At full speed you hear her roar, as though her kitten like purr had grown into something much more fierce, the lion inside her begging to be driven hard. You see everything around you. Looking skyward from inside her glass cockpit you reminds you of how much power she has lain in your fingertips, limitless.

The sound of the mailbox slamming closed throws you out of your day dream. The mail seemed strange today though. You wipe off your eyes to look at your computer screen. No wonder you had that dream. It’s covered in pictures, videos, and a 200+ page forum thread drowning you in Pininfarina. Lazily you get up. There’s something you feel calling you. Pulling you to the mailbox. Strange. At first glace into the mailbox you see nothing but magazines and junk mail. Walk inside back to your desk, while sifting through it all. Sorting out what is junk, and what is worth keeping. Two stacks, and when you reach that last letter, you realize that you needed to set aside space for a third pile. Your senses were lit ablaze. In your hand you hold a white envelope. It may as well have been made of gold. Stamped on the front, with a bright blue badge. A return address from Italy. You know exactly what awaits you inside. You gently open it, and inside, there it is.

As if it were taken from the depths of the ocean. Deep blue. Lain in the center, a Pininfarina badge. Your heart skips a beat. You take a deep breath as you take in everything there. A blank page other than a simple badge, yet you are completely entranced. You open the folded page. There you find the most beautifully sketched body. She is staring at you. Just as in your dream. She’s begging to be driven. On the opposing side, only words. Words, that send thrills through you that even the concept sketch failed to do. “You are cordially invited by Andrea Pininfarina and James Glickenhaus to the unveiling of the Ferrari P4/5 by Pininfarina.” Nirvana.

Weeks have passed since you received that letter, since the flame started. You still need to see her, the flame has only grown stronger. Fed by the e-mails and photos, press releases, write-ups. What started as a flame in your heart has begun to engulf your entire being. You can’t wait the meager two days for the unveiling you must see her now. You must douse that fire with the paint that is her blood, her soul. You hide this all inside of you while you turn off the lights and sleep takes you away. Again you wake up having had the dream of her being with you. Flying through time without a care in the world. You go through yet another day. With all things impossible to focus in on.

You return home, just to see those folded blue invitations. You walk over and pick them up, rereading the words over and over. You know it all from memory. You look back at that sketch. She is wanting you, you can feel it. One last night. The next day you wake up. Take a shower. Get dressed. You are ready for her. You sit through an otherwise pointless day to get in your car, key in the ignition. Engine start. You hear the purr. You open the garage. You race down the highway. You pull into Pebble Beach Equestrian Center and park. Joining everyone else waiting for her cover to come off, the unveiling.

The cover comes off and all at once you realize. She can’t be yours.

----------
Thank you

Peter
Old 8/26/06, 12:56 AM

Alright guys. I was just reading over at Ferrari Chat, and found something I found pretty interesting.

They may be planning on having a full race version of the P4/5 ready by the time Le Mans comes around, June? Anyways, it will have specs about the same as the Maserati MC12 Racecar.

(from LPower)

"QUOTE(Paul Tracy sucks! @ Aug 24 2006, 02:59 PM) *

Le Mans? shock.gif can you guestimate how much weight you'll save (if any) with the racing version? Also, are you contemplating a bump in power?
Thanks

QUOTE(jota @ Aug 24 2006, 03:32 PM)
Similar to a MC 12 Race car both in weight and power."

If this is so, wouldn't this be going down in power?
http://fast-autos.net/vehicles/Maser...MC12_Race_Car/
From this it says horsepower is down 36hp to 624hp, although it is down 585 lbs on the Enzo which is still 220 lbs less than the P4/5 if I remember correctly. Will be amazing to see, a full hardtop perhaps, or better a roadster.

Strange, I found things on the MC12 Corsa and it says it weighs 100 lbs more than the MC12 Racecar. Though it has 132 more hp.

Hmm, I could see that... 660 hp, see it at about 2300 lbs. Since there must be some drop in weight over the original car. I can't wait to see that, hear that.

Thanks Jim, You have started me on even more dreams now.

Peter
Old 9/24/06, 08:23 PM

As we all know, the P3, P3/4, and the P4 all were major competitors with the GT40's of the time period.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/showthrea...ighlight=japan

Looks to me like we have good reason to believe that the P4/5R may have some competition if it ever happens.

Do it Jim. I can not wait to see yet another epic battle, even if the Ford is just following her in.

Peter Hatch
Old 10/20/06, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.ferrarili.com/events_pages/mm_2006.htm
Old 10/20/06, 06:20 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
This thing is on the cover of the latest top gear.
Old 10/21/06, 06:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello James, I just wanted to ask you. Are you thinking of having your P4/5 at the Ferrari display at the NY Auto Show this coming year? I figure that its the only place I may see it in person. Thanks for the info.
Old 10/22/06, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hello James, I just wanted to ask you. Are you thinking of having your P4/5 at the Ferrari display at the NY Auto Show this coming year? I figure that its the only place I may see it in person. Thanks for the info.
Hi

For a while she's staying home and going for drives. I'll let you know in a few months when she'll be shown in the area.

Best
Old 10/24/06, 11:52 AM

Evo 098, Gordon Murray:

"How many of our today's cars will be considered classics in, say, 20 or 30 years' time?

One that will be is the brand-new Pininfarina-designed one-off Ferrari P4/5 supercar, based on a Ferrari Enzo. All supercars have presence and a certain "dramatic" look, but not all of them have style. The Enzo is certainly dramatic, but it manages to look very large (it is!) and very disjointed - the lines just don't flow. Panel shut gaps are too big and obvious, the front overhang is just too long, and the whole effect is styling rather than style.

Enter the P4/5 - a truly beautiful, balanced shape. I'm sure Pininfarina will have the "retro" finger pointed at them, but while there's no mistaking its heritage, the style is crisp, fresh and bang up to date. This is not a sycophantic exercise like the Ford GT but very much a new design in its own right. If I was offered the keys to either the Enzo or the P4/5, I know which one I would be driving home."
Old 10/24/06, 10:31 PM

It must be amazing to read all of this being said about a car that was your dream being so highly praised by those like Murray. Someday...

Also, I'm not sure if you were avoiding answering because you still don't know, but do you think the book and the model will be out by Christmas? I'm quite interested in both but I don't want to be banking on something blindly.

You should send Murray an email saying there is no way he's getting the keys

Peter
Old 10/25/06, 06:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Yeah, I would LOVE to see a 1:18 diecast scale model of P4/5. James, any chance of this happening?
Old 10/26/06, 08:02 PM

I'm trying to make that happen.

Best
Old 10/27/06, 12:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

WONDERFUL!!!! !!! I definitely want one for my BIG diecast collection. And if a model does come out, the fellows on Diecastxchange.com would all go for one as well, I'm sure of it.
Old 10/31/06, 07:36 PM

Road Test

http://www.windingroad.com/download
Old 11/3/06, 10:33 PM

Just read the Road & Track. Great stuff. I wonder how it must be to see yourself, as well as your car in the news and to magazines all the time. :dream:

Peter Hatch
Old 1/15/11, 05:15 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Ferrari P4/5 Competizione

Old thread, new photos!

http://jalopnik.com/5734094/this-is-...5-competizione