General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Factory Five GTM

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/05, 12:50 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like factory five made a couple of changes to their "poor-mans" supercar.
Old 2/21/05, 01:45 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

hmm, looks very typical.
Any more info to this "poor-mans" supercar?
Old 2/21/05, 08:35 AM
I'm people, and I like.

hmm..
how poor do you have to be to own one of those?
Old 2/21/05, 02:39 PM
GT Member

In fourth grade some of us were drawing pictures of cars while Mrs. Johnson was droning on about long division and times tables. We were the ones who grew up watching Speed Racer on TV (he wasn’t near as cool as his exiled brother Racer-X) and dreaming of our versions of supersonic race cars. We fought over the coolest Matchbox cars and raced Hot Wheels (orange tracks with purple joints) down two floors in our house. On a school field trip to the Chicago museum of Science and Industry we ditched the group to check out ‘The Blue Flame†land speed racer.

Where do all those precious childhood dreams lead us? If we’re lucky we get the chance to live them in one way or another, only now we have something to prove. Introducing the new Factory Five Racing GTM Supercar kit!

The goal of this kit is to deliver a “Supercar for the massesâ€. Make it possible for guys like us to share the thrill of a vehicle that performs like a McClaren F-1 or the Ferrari Enzo. A supercar for guys with kids in school and wives that frown on all those car parts laying around in the garage. While the design is not yet complete, we have built three chassis prototypes and tested various engine and drivetrain combinations. We are indeed getting close to being able to offer this car. We are planning on launching the car in 2005.

The “donor car†concept is back again, but this time with a Chevrolet package! The GTM is based on utilizing the 1997-2004 Corvette and Z-06 parts, namely the engine, front and rear suspension and brakes, fuel tanks and misc. smaller parts.

The kit will come with a complete tube frame, the strongest FFR design ever. The suspension components come directly from the Corvette, including the high quality brakes, spindles and control arms. The engineering team left the suspension geometry alone, choosing to simply replace the C-5 shocks with mono-tube racing shocks.

The chassis kit has been in development for more than two years. Final details are near completion. Check out the killer carbon fiber headlight buckets.

The body is a carbon fiber pre-preg cloth shell that is in 4 pieces with two separate doors that hinge forward and out. The current design calls for roll-up windows (a first for FFR!). The exterior trim and interior pieces all reflect the needs and accommodations of a supercar, simple, functional and all-business. Forget about dual climate controls here.

Nice details abound, such as the headlight buckets, which are finished in carbon fiber. The transmission is selected to be the Porsche G-50 transaxle mated to the Chevy V-8 via a FFR machined flywheel adapter plate.

Incredibly strong tube frame and chassis give the GTM the underpinnings of a true supercar. The Chevrolet aftermarket for performance parts is huge!

Performance, usability and affordability. The GTM is designed to deliver all those things. Above all though, the priority is first and foremost to deliver the experience of a Supercar without the cost. We have indeed made some significant decisions to improve ergonomics, visibility, and driver comfort. The entire body shape was changed to increase cockpit space over the first prototype photographed here. We have invested tremendously to ensure the car has features such as roll up windows and livable interior sound and heat management. The main focus however remains… to build a chassis kit that will enable you to create a custom car on par with the very best cars in the world. The GTM’s success will be a function of how well we execute on that engineering task.

Performance testing of the chassis is complete and the prototype is scheduled for testing during the Winter 2004/Spring 2005. This kit will benefit from all of our racing and engineering experience. The team at Factory Five Racing has been working on the GTM project since 2001. We have invested a huge amount of time and money to ensure the car is right. After successful testing of the prototypes, the first production versions are slated for 2005
Old 2/21/05, 02:43 PM
GT Member

just go give a frame of refference...

here are the previous prototypes..
Old 2/21/05, 04:24 PM
GT Member

What a coincidence...I was looking all over their website today. I'd love to have a pure performance car to play around with, alongside the Mazda6 I'm planning on purchasing sometime soon. Their kits look like very good deals for the money.

BTW, I like the unpainted carbon prototype in the post above best, except for the strange rear spoiler. Looks kinda like a Ford GT, and it's more distinctive.
Old 2/21/05, 06:10 PM
Cobra Member

IMO, if your gonna get a kit car, Factory Five is the way to go...a guy across town built one of their cobra replicas...can't tell it from the real thing
Old 2/21/05, 06:24 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by FrankBullitt05@February 21, 2005, 7:13 PM
IMO, if your gonna get a kit car, Factory Five is the way to go...a guy across town built one of their cobra replicas...can't tell it from the real thing
They do look professional, and Car and Driver has given their stuff favourable reviews. They'll definately be at the top of my list.

Superformance's offerings are gorgeous, I've seen them in person...but horribly expensive.
Old 2/21/05, 08:09 PM
Bullitt Member

They claim $20,000 for that package, but of course that's on top of the Corvette you have to supply.

So are they beefing the engine at all? I can't tell from what they've said. I wonder if the C6 will work with this kit, the new Z06 with the LS7 ... *drool*
Old 2/21/05, 10:45 PM
GTR Member

u have to buy a vette for that? HUH? I dont wanna GM kit car. it is a Ferrari Knock off.
Old 2/21/05, 10:53 PM
Bullitt Member

The “donor car†concept is back again, but this time with a Chevrolet package! The GTM is based on utilizing the 1997-2004 Corvette and Z-06 parts, namely the engine, front and rear suspension and brakes, fuel tanks and misc. smaller parts.
Yeah, it's based on a 'Vette. It's more like a complete overhaul than a kit car, really.
Old 2/21/05, 10:55 PM
GTR Member

yah, more of a overhaul, kinda stupid. I saw a Shelby Cobra replica once with full corvete atire in and out, motor, suspension all of it. I hated it a gm/ford by product
Old 2/22/05, 01:43 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Fordracing200+February 21, 2005, 11:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fordracing200 @ February 21, 2005, 11:48 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>u have to buy a vette for that? HUH? I dont wanna GM kit car. it is a Ferrari Knock off.
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-thezeppelin8 Posted Yesterday
@ 09:38 AM

hmm..
how poor do you have to be to own one of those?
[/quote]

hehe poor enough to afford the kit and a used corvette. but i think a 90s or 80s one works too... am i right? if so then it really isnt that much somebody help me out here...

PS saw a nice '82 vette the other day, $6000, tempting? very. but the '67 stang next to it made me smile even more (hehe $5800)
Old 2/22/05, 07:51 AM
Bullitt Member

I'd figure, a used 97 Corvette with decent mileage, somewhere in the $20k's ... so you're looking at around $40-50k minimum investment for this. Considering the numbers they're looking to produce, that's QUITE nice.
Old 2/22/05, 12:11 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Fordracing200@February 21, 2005, 11:58 PM
yah, more of a overhaul, kinda stupid. I saw a Shelby Cobra replica once with full corvete atire in and out, motor, suspension all of it. I hated it a gm/ford by product
What about the multitude of '30's Ford street rods running around with Chevy 350's in them? It's probably the most common engines in those cars...they're easy to come by and cheap to mod.
Old 2/22/05, 01:07 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont paritcularly like the chevy-ford illegitimate children either. but hey, whatever floats your boat...er.....rolls your car
Old 2/22/05, 01:44 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 2/22/05, 02:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Factory Five also sells the best and most inexpensive Cobra kit car in the industry. Only $13,000 and all you need is a Mustang from 1987-2004!
Old 2/22/05, 08:54 PM
GTR Member

saw a 454 powered red vette the other day, mid 80s or late 70s, and it had locks punched out of doors and stress cracks, I popped the hood and that motor fills that out, let me tell you. I liked it to an extent, completely stock. OK body minus the punched locks and stress cracks ont he side, above/behind the doors. It could be had for like a few grand or less most likely
Old 2/23/05, 01:37 PM
Cam Tease

"it is a Ferrari Knock off. "

Which Ferrari is it knocking off?

I see some Ford GT and maybe Saleen S7 design language but no Ferrari...

Quick Reply: Factory Five GTM