General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Explorer Rollover Victim Awarded $369 Million

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/04, 06:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Horsepower844182+Jun. 5th, 2004, 1:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Horsepower844182 @ Jun. 5th, 2004, 1:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-André@Jun. 5th, 2004, 9:02 AM
It does not matter how well somebody drives, if you exceed the handling potential of any vehicle you will get into trouble, and in an emergency situation you might not have a choice than to push it to the limit, so I don't see why we should assume that this was a bad driver...

It says "Driver Benetta Buell-Wilson swerved to avoid a metal object..."

I don't think metal objects run out in front of you...I don't see any emergency situation with this...

Wonder what kind of "metal object" is was... [/b][/quote]
could have been a drive shaft off a truck in front of her or something. a lady was killed here not too long ago when one came off and went through her windshield.
Old 6/5/04, 09:24 PM
GT Member

True...
Old 6/7/04, 12:31 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Moosetang@Jun. 4th, 2004, 2:51 PM
They totally ignore the glowing ratings the current explorer gets. Instead, they want Ford to design and remanufacture previous-generation Explorers. Thats insane. Next they'll be demanding that Ford put Air Bags in '65 Galaxies.

My cousin and her husband had an explorer they flipped. Why? Becuase they were doing 115 in it along a stretch of poorly lit highway and lost conrtol. I swear I'll testify against them if they ever try to sue Ford, becuase it was 100% their fault.
Off topic yes but all the same interesting you said that, my friend has a 65 Galaxie and it was also my dads first car. Ever have a relative ask a friend for a drive?
Old 6/7/04, 12:35 AM
V6 Member

Truth is, I know her. Really I do, she was trying to put her seatbelt on in the 5 m.p.h school zone so she wouldn't get a $75 ticket and flipped. No I'm just kidding but seriously it's all rediculous.
Old 6/7/04, 05:13 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think there should be a permanent line on the stearing wheel that states:

"This vehicle WILL rollover if you drive/act like a tool!"

I love people who complain about stuff, because its never their fault.
An aquaintence of mine totalled his truck by running an amber light, and someone making an improper left infront of him.

They were both in the wrong, yet he argues "not my fault, she turned in front of me. I was only going 50, 55k/m at most..."
Right, he won't slow down to 80 in a school zone, I fear for my life when he drives, and witnesses heard his magnaflow 'accelerate rapidly' to blow through that yellow.
No not partly his fault at ALL....
Old 6/7/04, 06:21 PM
GT Member

Ban SUV's? That is ridiculous. I can see why californians, or floridians would say that. I live in an area that gets a pretty good bit of snow. I cant miss work for weather, and I drive 40 minutes in perfect weather to work. I have kids, so a truck is not in the cards. I need, and use mine. I dont however, kill people with it, or drive wrecklessly with it. If you beleive all of that, you might say "lets ban light trucks as well" Why not? They weigh almost the same, and handle pretty much the same. Now let's move onto sportscars. People drive fast in them, and that is dangerous. Happens all the time here. Some kid gets a mustang or camaro and goes out to see what it can do, and he's wrapped around a telephone pole. A good friend of mine died in his mustang, and crippled some woman who was just driving home from work in her jeep.

I drove Jeep Cj7's for years. Known to be one of the most dangerous vehicles on the road. Never wrecked, or even came close. Just gotta know how to drive, thats all.

I thought this was a free country? Why are we banning everything?
Old 6/7/04, 10:54 PM
Bullitt Member

A Ford Explorer is 16 times as likely as the typical family car to kill occupants of another vehicle in a crash.
I guess when somebody is hit by these 3 ton SUVs, they can always find comfort as they lay dying, that they were hit by a "bad driver" and not a "good one"...
Old 6/7/04, 11:57 PM
GT Member

Are we banning busses and tractor-trailers too? When does it all end? There are people who want cars like mustangs banned, because they are faster than they need to be. I think banning cell phones while driving would yeild better results.
Old 6/8/04, 12:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by twincamfxd@June 8, 2004, 12:00 AM
Are we banning busses and tractor-trailers too? When does it all end? There are people who want cars like mustangs banned, because they are faster than they need to be. I think banning cell phones while driving would yeild better results.
Yeah but to drive those you have to go through a lot more for a license!

The problem is, and I know Ill get burned for this, is that families buy these huge trucks, I call them trucks cause that is what a majority of them are based off of, and then let the wives, who are usually all of 5 feet tall and can barely see around the darn things, drive them to do the daily errands. Mean while she has always been use to drive a little tiny Honda civic that she could do all of those things like put on makeup and fiddle with her hair because it was smaller and braked better. Now I’m not sexist or anything like that, but up here in NY I went into the city one day with some friends and I can not even begin to count the number for full size( we're talking Durango, explorer size and larger) SUV's that were on the road with only ONE person driving and NO passengers! And of all these that we saw I would be willing to bet that 85-90 % of them were females. :scratch: That is just stupid! Very few if any family truly needs anything larger than an SUV the size of an Escape. Plus what % of them actually use the 4wd capabilities of the vehicle?

As far as killing off the SUV's its already beginning, look at what car companies are now doing, a lot of them are brining out car based platforms that are awd, or are changing the design of SUV to be smaller and car based instead of truck based to help with this type of situation of people not being able to handle the cars they own. This lawsuit to me ranks right up there with the lady and the hot coffee from McDonalds. This day and age everyone wants something for nothing but if poo goes wrong never wants to take responsibility for it. :notnice: I just say we just ban all personal lawsuits!
Old 6/8/04, 12:38 AM
GT Member

I just say we just ban all personal lawsuits!

I am with ya there!!
Old 6/8/04, 07:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Canyonero Theme Song
Old 6/8/04, 08:57 PM
GT Member