Search this Thread

Old 6/4/04, 05:47 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Rollover victim wins $369M verdict
Old 6/4/04, 05:55 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not an automotive engineer, and I don't know the particulars of the accident, so my comment may be out of line, but I'll voice my opinion anyways.

I'd be willing to bet if the same manuever was made in a Tahoe, Trailblazer, Montero, (insert most any SUV here), etc., that manufacturer would be under the gun too. Folks have got to realize when they buy those types of vehicles they are more prone to flip simply due to their geometry. It ain't a sports car.

This seems to be on the same par with blaming cigarette makers for a person's lung cancer when it was their decision to buy and smoke the things to begin with.

Interesting topic.. hopefully we will have a good discussion here.
Old 6/4/04, 09:17 AM
V6 Member

Normally I side with the little guy and against big business but that award amount seems excessive to me. Sure she's paralyzed but only from the waist down. Her lawyer sure seems happy in that picture too. He'll never have to work another day in his life if he doesn't want to.
Old 6/4/04, 10:27 AM
GT Member

Offered to knock $100 million off the damage award if Ford would fix the design problems in the Explorer
Like gokbgo said...it's an Explorer not a sports car. Maybe they should lower it to half an inch off the ground and chop the top by about 6 inches...then maybe it won't be so prone to rolling.
Old 6/4/04, 11:31 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
<rant>always amazes me...kinda off topic but on at the same time.
how people will cry and say there is no price for human life or injery..then go and sue someone.

I know no one died but it's in the same spirit
I hate that this country has become a place of lawsuits</rant>

Now that being said..I wonder if she is gonna take driving lessons now at least she can afford them.
Old 6/4/04, 01:13 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's funny.. I bet that she was driving too fast or didn't notice that object making her swerve wayy to quickly.. but nothing is her fault
Old 6/4/04, 02:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I think it's just a question of common sense, SUVs are more unstable and more implicated in rollovers than cars, that is a fact, but it seems that's what the buying public wants...so who is to blame?
Old 6/4/04, 02:48 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

They totally ignore the glowing ratings the current explorer gets. Instead, they want Ford to design and remanufacture previous-generation Explorers. Thats insane. Next they'll be demanding that Ford put Air Bags in '65 Galaxies.

My cousin and her husband had an explorer they flipped. Why? Becuase they were doing 115 in it along a stretch of poorly lit highway and lost conrtol. I swear I'll testify against them if they ever try to sue Ford, becuase it was 100% their fault.
Old 6/4/04, 03:35 PM
GT Member

Agreed, most people with SUV's do not drive them like SUV's they drive them like Cars which they are not. Need to send people back to Driver's Ed :bang:
Old 6/4/04, 07:16 PM
Bullitt Member

lawyers idiot juries
Old 6/4/04, 07:47 PM
GT Member

Juries just want to see the big companies take a hit...when it's the little guy vs. The Man, they always want to hurt the big guy...
Old 6/5/04, 08:27 AM
GT Member

I have a 97 rodeo, which is about 10 times more prone to rollover than any explorer. I havent flipped it yet... Why you ask?..... BECAUSE I CAN FREAKING DRIVE!!!!! They give out millions to people because they are idiots? I know she cant walk, but I seriously doubt it was the explorer's fault in any way, shape, or form. That ambulance chaser probably convinced her it was big bad Ford's fault, and obviously took a sizeable chunk of the winnings. I HATE LAWYERS!!! :bang:
Old 6/5/04, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

It does not matter how well somebody drives, if you exceed the handling potential of any vehicle you will get into trouble, and in an emergency situation you might not have a choice than to push it to the limit, so I don't see why we should assume that this was a bad driver...

Is ford responsible? No
Is the money she was awarded exagerated? ...Yes
Should car manufacturer inform buyers of the inferior handling characteristics of SUVs ? Maybe
Old 6/5/04, 09:40 AM
GT Member

Should car manufacturer inform buyers of the inferior handling characteristics of SUVs ? Maybe
It is on a tag on the sun visor.

I know how my truck handles, so I drive slower, I give myself room, I brake early...etc. Most people dont. Most people drive like they are in cars. That is why they flip them, then instead of admitting they were going too fast, or made an irradic move, they always have to blame someone else. That in my opinion, is poor driving.

I witnessed an accident last year, where a woman in a tahoe flipped directly behind my truck. She was talking on a cell phone, not paying attention, hit the brakes too late on a wet road, slid sideways and rolled over. Nobody was hurt thank God, but she was blaming everybody else (including me, for stopping in a turn lane on a red arrow lol) I guess I should run red lights?

I think there should be IQ testing before the purchase of an SUV.
Old 6/5/04, 10:23 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by twincamfxd@Jun. 5th, 2004, 9:43 AM
It is on a tag on the sun visor.

I know how my truck handles, so I drive slower, I give myself room, I brake early...etc. Most people dont. Most people drive like they are in cars. That is why they flip them, then instead of admitting they were going too fast, or made an irradic move, they always have to blame someone else. That in my opinion, is poor driving.

I witnessed an accident last year, where a woman in a tahoe flipped directly behind my truck. She was talking on a cell phone, not paying attention, hit the brakes too late on a wet road, slid sideways and rolled over. Nobody was hurt thank God, but she was blaming everybody else (including me, for stopping in a turn lane on a red arrow lol) I guess I should run red lights?

I think there should be IQ testing before the purchase of an SUV.
Old 6/5/04, 01:48 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by André@Jun. 5th, 2004, 9:02 AM
It does not matter how well somebody drives, if you exceed the handling potential of any vehicle you will get into trouble, and in an emergency situation you might not have a choice than to push it to the limit, so I don't see why we should assume that this was a bad driver...

It says "Driver Benetta Buell-Wilson swerved to avoid a metal object..."

I don't think metal objects run out in front of you...I don't see any emergency situation with this...

Wonder what kind of "metal object" is was...
Old 6/5/04, 02:17 PM
I'm people, and I like.

how bout a ban on suv's (yea, I said it)
those gas-guzzling, flip flop, more severe injury causing, piece of an "automobile" that should only be driven in safari's. I dont find any positive reason that cancels out the negative reasons to drive one on the streets. a lot of people just buy one because they feel "big", and/or because they want to show off to the neighbors. go buy a small car with some speed and some style.
got a family? buy a wagon, or a van. nothing is worth putting your family in a car that gets into more accidents on average.

the truth about SUV's
Old 6/5/04, 02:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by thezeppelin8@Jun. 5th, 2004, 4:20 PM

the truth about SUV's

Good link!
I agree they should take these things off the road.

SUVs are more likely to injure or kill the occupants of other vehicles in a crash. The increasing size of SUVs, and thus their increasing incompatibility with smaller passenger cars, is a growing problem and is likely to result in increasing fatalities.
A Ford Explorer is 16 times as likely as the typical family car to kill occupants of another vehicle in a crash.
Old 6/5/04, 04:17 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
not completely off the road, there are some epople who need the capabilites of them. i think that they should lower the production of them and maybe help buyers decide if an SUV really is the right vehicle for them. people need to know if they reayl need them. i mean c'mon, im in high school and like almost half of the cars in the school parking lot are SUVs. do we really need all of these roadhogs?
Old 6/5/04, 05:11 PM
Banned

If anyone knows about recent count rulings as far as damages go, they know this is completely excessive. I bet at least $200 million gets chopped off when Ford appeals.

Quick Reply: Explorer Rollover Victim Awarded $369 Million