General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

explain "rice" to me...

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/05 | 08:34 AM
mav
GT Member

Old 2/10/05 | 08:35 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Rice to me is a great food. High in carbs, which I love. I prefer chicken fried rice actually, but thats just me.
Old 2/10/05 | 08:36 AM
Jackass

Rice-Boy, from www.riceboypage.com offers up this pearl: " There are the ones that care about performance and want to make their cars go fast/handle well. Then there are the ones that want to make their car look good. But there is a third group [ricers] - those who try to make their car look fast."
Old 2/10/05 | 08:37 AM

This may be the wrong forum for this though...
Old 2/10/05 | 08:42 AM
GT Member

Check out the "Rice Haters Club" (http://www.ricehatersclub.com/). I cut and pasted the following:

We believe in doing what ever it is you want to do to your ride, be it a stocker or an all-out dragster, as long as it doesn't veer off into the Ricer World.

What do we consider "Ricer" to be? Well, if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be here, but I'll humor your inquisitiveness anyway.

-Any bone stock ride that is covered in stickers from companies that have nothing to do with that ride is a Ricer.
-Any ride with a paint job that looks like something Walt Disney threw-up is a Ricer.
-Any ride with more bondo than sheet metal is a Ricer.
-Any ride with undercarriage lighting is a Ricer.
-Any ride with neon ANYWHERE is a Ricer (beer trucks omitted).
-Any ride with wheels 3 sizes too small or too large is a Ricer.
-Fartpipe coffee can exhaust? Ricer.
-"R" Badges? Ricer.
-Monster tach in a mechanically stock vehicle? Ricer.
-Ground effects bought at Home Depot? Ricer.
-Fake scoops mounted where even real scoops would serve no purpose? Ricer.
-A spoiler that more resembles a picnic basket handle? Ricer.
-Aviation parts mounted "for better traction"? Ricer.
-Defrost ducts painted with latex paint to match the color of the sticker on the brake pads? Ricer.

A Ricer doesn't have to be an Import. There are plenty of Riced-out Domestics on the road. In fact, many of our members own Imports. We are NOT anti-Import, we are anti-Ricer.

They also have many pictures posted as examples. And some of them are freaking hilarious.
Old 2/10/05 | 08:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Altoids link about nails it, good find.
Old 2/10/05 | 08:49 AM
I Have Admin Envy

This is a great discussion topic.

My interpretation of "rice" is an economy car styled with gaudy, excessive body kits, wings and wheels, along with obnoxious exhaust systems to give the impression of high performance. This is most common with import compact cars but domestic cars as well.

Calling a true performance car like the S2000, G35, 350Z, Supra, etc. rice just because of where they come from is ignorant IMO. They are good perforamce cars and I would not personally turn down any of those cars if I were to get one for free. (obviously my preference is a Mustang)

Now, the cars listed above could also be considered "riced" out if they had those tacky body kits installed. In a sense I guess riced out is more of a term used for any car that has tacked-on body kits which draw attention to it, but do not compliment the lines of the car.
Old 2/10/05 | 08:49 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by Buck_Nekid@February 10, 2005, 9:45 AM
Check out the "Rice Haters Club" (http://www.ricehatersclub.com/). I cut and pasted the following:

We believe in doing what ever it is you want to do to your ride, be it a stocker or an all-out dragster, as long as it doesn't veer off into the Ricer World.

What do we consider "Ricer" to be? Well, if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be here, but I'll humor your inquisitiveness anyway.

-Any bone stock ride that is covered in stickers from companies that have nothing to do with that ride is a Ricer.
-Any ride with a paint job that looks like something Walt Disney threw-up is a Ricer.
-Any ride with more bondo than sheet metal is a Ricer.
-Any ride with undercarriage lighting is a Ricer.
-Any ride with neon ANYWHERE is a Ricer (beer trucks omitted).
-Any ride with wheels 3 sizes too small or too large is a Ricer.
-Fartpipe coffee can exhaust? Ricer.
-"R" Badges? Ricer.
-Monster tach in a mechanically stock vehicle? Ricer.
-Ground effects bought at Home Depot? Ricer.
-Fake scoops mounted where even real scoops would serve no purpose? Ricer.
-Aviation parts mounted "for better traction"? Ricer.
-Defrost ducts painted with latex paint to match the color of the sticker on the brake pads? Ricer.

A Ricer doesn't have to be an Import. There are plenty of Riced-out Domestics on the road. In fact, many of our members own Imports. We are NOT anti-Import, we are anti-Ricer.

They also have many pictures posted as examples. And some of them are freaking hilarious.
So Cobra R is a rice?
Old 2/10/05 | 08:54 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by doulos4JC@February 10, 2005, 9:48 AM
Condaleeza is a Rice.

Sorry, the devil made me do it !!!

Old 2/10/05 | 08:56 AM

Originally posted by SeniorStang+February 10, 2005, 9:57 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SeniorStang @ February 10, 2005, 9:57 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-doulos4JC@February 10, 2005, 9:48 AM
Condaleeza is a Rice.

Sorry, the devil made me do it !!!

[/b][/quote]
So is Jerry.
Old 2/10/05 | 08:56 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by Galaxie@February 10, 2005, 9:52 AM
This is a great discussion topic.

My interpretation of "rice" is an economy car styled with gaudy, excessive body kits, wings and wheels, along with obnoxious exhaust systems to give the impression of high performance. This is most common with import compact cars but domestic cars as well.

Calling a true performance car like the S2000, G35, 350Z, Supra, etc. rice just because of where they come from is ignorant IMO. They are good perforamce cars and I would not personally turn down any of those cars if I were to get one for free. (obviously my preference is a Mustang)

Now, the cars listed above could also be considered "riced" out if they had those tacky body kits installed. In a sense I guess riced out is more of a term used for any car that has tacked-on body kits which draw attention to it, but do not compliment the lines of the car.
The difference is Americans don't have many cars that you can make "rice" out of it. I mean, Ford have Focus, Chevrolet have Cavalier (Cavalier will be gone soon), Dodge have Neon, there are few Saturns and that's it. What idiot would make Mustang or Camaro or Trans Am or any muscle car rice? Japanese, on the other hand, have a lot of 4-cyl cars (some companies, like Honda, still don't have V8), so you have a lot bigger choice in choosing a rice.
To be honest, I used to like rice cars. But that was when I didn't know about muscle cars history and all those great V8 cars (where I'm from most of the cars are 4-cyl, there are hardly any V8). So when I turned 17 I had to choose what car I want and my options were Civic, Eclipse, and Mustang. I went for Mustang and now I am glad I this that.
Old 2/10/05 | 08:57 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Red Star@February 10, 2005, 10:52 AM

So Cobra R is a rice?
No moreso than a Countach is rice.

Laugh at Rice

(Still wondering when people will learn how to trim quotes....)
Old 2/10/05 | 08:58 AM
I'm people, and I like.

i agree with you wholeheartedly Tom

oh yea, and the dude that was saying that your car was rice, Jay, he's ummmmhhh... a "special" case if ya know what i mean
Old 2/10/05 | 09:01 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by Red Star@February 10, 2005, 7:59 AM

What idiot would make Mustang or Camaro or Trans Am or any muscle car rice?
Zoran, you'd be surprised how many idiots there are
Old 2/10/05 | 09:02 AM

Originally posted by Red Star@February 10, 2005, 9:59 AM
The difference is Americans don't have many cars that you can make "rice" out of it. I mean, Ford have Focus, Chevrolet have Cavalier (Cavalier will be gone soon), Dodge have Neon, there are few Saturns and that's it. What idiot would make Mustang or Camaro or Trans Am or any muscle car rice?
Haven't you seen a Mustang with clear taillight lenses and a huge wing before? Trust me, it can be done on any car.
Old 2/10/05 | 09:04 AM
mav
GT Member

Old 2/10/05 | 09:07 AM
mav
GT Member

Old 2/10/05 | 09:12 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by mav@February 10, 2005, 10:10 AM
Example - http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=15750

Why did 68fuelinjected describe the new 06 Eclipse as a "rice burner" if its 100% stock?
Why don't you ask him?
Old 2/10/05 | 09:35 AM
GTR Member

Rice is a relative term, some people think all Japanese cars are rice, some think it is any nationality car that has been made to look "fast" without actually doing any worthwhile mods.
Tom, I really wouldn't let anyone calling a car rice get to you. The people on this forum are 98% mustang owners / enthusiasts, when you go on a Honda forum, they slag off the American V8's, what goes around comes around, it's all like a biiiiig circle.
Personally, I would never own a Japanese car, but that is personal preference (except for a Skyline GTR or Mitsubishi GTO). If you want a quick Japanese car, that is your choice!
Old 2/10/05 | 09:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Red Star@February 10, 2005, 9:52 AM
So Cobra R is a rice?
[/b]
No, but this is.

Quick Reply: explain "rice" to me...