General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Did anyone ever play Motor City Online for the PC?

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/08, 03:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Did anyone ever play Motor City Online for the PC?

There has to be a few people on here that have heard of it, and maybe played it. Seems like there were quite a few gear heads that played it. Best racing game ever. It was a MMOG, and you bought, owned, and modified your muscle cars. They had all the best muscle cars. Mustangs, Cuda's, cameros, Galaxies, Nova's, etc.

What I liked, was the amount of detail that went into modifying your cars. Every single engine component could be swapped out. And each part had 100's of choices. It was unlike the racing games where you buy a whole power upgrading package. Certain parts worked with other parts to give you the optimal power. It was trial and error. And after you build it, you could go dyno test it.

I really wish they would bring back the game. It really gave me the bug for muscle cars. I loved them before, thats why I got the game, but I really took and appreciation to them after having the feeling of being able to own, and upgrade your own cars.

The game is now dead. and there will probably be nothing else like it ever.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_City_Online

If anyone played, I was Woody24 @ Midtown.
Old 10/3/08, 03:29 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh did i ever, up until that fateful august night....

Its too painful to think about not having it again...

I had a couple names i used and never really stayed in one server. I used The Batman and Smooth Bob.

Last edited by Knight; 10/3/08 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10/3/08, 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I played from day one up until the second to last month. I took the free game offer, and got Metal of Honor. I wish I would have stayed though, with all the stuff the dev team was doing because there was no reason to maintain an economy in game.

fun fun game. I think it made a lot of gamers turn into gear heads. Or at least have a bug for muscle cars. After the official forum was shut down, a lot of up migrated over to another one. and remember this one guy was all excited because he had just bought a brand new Charger Super Bee. Said he knew nothing about cars before playing the game, and the in-game Charger was his favorite.

My favorite car was the Boss 302. But I didn't get one until late. But after I had it, my setup seemed perfect. Handling was spot on, and had just enough power. I took 3rd in a tournament, and won another 302. heh.
Old 10/3/08, 03:58 PM
Needs to be more Astony

I mainly drove with a green 65 coupe.... cause i had one in real life at the time. but it was a good car regardless. and i had a chop top aar cuda that i painted black with black window tint, that car looked so mean!

I just loved the share number of parts and combinations you could use. you literaly could take everyones car in the lobby and no one would have identical setups. That is like real car crusing. everygame out not is so simplefied and boring, add engine pack...lame, i want to chose the heads and match it with a intake that has power at the right rpm and choose the right carb for best performance.....oh i could go on.... they really need to make a modern game with as much customization.

the game was choppy on my pc and i used the keyboard controls to race so i wasn't very good at the races with turns, so most of my time was spent at the drag strip.
Old 10/3/08, 04:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, I never played it, but I do seem to vaguely remember this game.
Old 10/4/08, 01:17 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
*raises hand* God it was so much fun. Hell I even had a steering wheel and pedal setup for racing. All i did was drag race and do remember much about it anymore. Me and some guys from work played so thats what we did all night when we had to work graveyard shift.
Old 10/7/08, 11:45 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Off-Topic - Isn't GT5 going to have internet PvP this time out?
Old 10/8/08, 08:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bob
Off-Topic - Isn't GT5 going to have internet PvP this time out?
GT5 Prologue already does. So would assume that the final version of GT5 will.

*edit. And while all the current racing games are fun, there really isn't any challenge to them when playing online, other than being a perfect driver. With Motor City online, everybody had different setups, unlike todays racers. Seems like today, everybody has the exact same car, exact same setup. With MCO, you could have a car with more top end speed, or quicker acceleration. You could wreck, and still end up finishing 1st because you were quicker out of turns, or faster on strait aways. I will miss it.

Last edited by woody24; 10/8/08 at 08:57 AM. Reason: added info, instead of making new post.
Old 10/8/08, 10:05 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally Posted by woody24

*edit. And while all the current racing games are fun, there really isn't any challenge to them when playing online, other than being a perfect driver. With Motor City online, everybody had different setups, unlike todays racers. Seems like today, everybody has the exact same car, exact same setup. With MCO, you could have a car with more top end speed, or quicker acceleration. You could wreck, and still end up finishing 1st because you were quicker out of turns, or faster on strait aways. I will miss it.
Not nessessarily, Forza 2 is pretty good with the point system that it is not very common for 2 people to be driving the same car/setup.

people take different approaches to their cars so if someone does have the same car one person might put a little stickeyer tire and another might opt for less tire and more power or less weight, and races turn out very diverse and fun.
Old 10/8/08, 10:43 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by woody24

Kind of like NASCAR!
Old 10/9/08, 11:10 AM
Needs to be more Astony

There are some guys trying to make a new game like MCO. Called Motor World Online. I hope the have the dedication and talent to get it done, would be really cool to see.
Old 10/9/08, 11:17 AM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Wow, never played but this is making me jealous! We need something like this now no doubt
Old 10/9/08, 01:55 PM
Bullitt Member

It was a shame too. It just wasn't marketed very well. I think they went after the older/gearhead crowed. People who were into cars, not necessarily racing games.

I wish they would have made a patch to just play if offline. Race with AI, or even just by yourself. It was the first racing game a TRULY loved. Mainly because it was specifically muscle cars, and you could buy every single part almost imaginable. And it felt like you owned the cars too. I remember my first few races, I tried my hardest to not put any scratches in my cars, because you had to pay to have them fixed later. But then after I started winning money, I didn't care.
Old 10/9/08, 02:10 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Your really not helping, at all, get them to bring this back. Sounds amazing, I don't care for a lot of the new racing games because you can't do anything custom/your own combo's to your cars.
Old 10/9/08, 02:27 PM
Needs to be more Astony

it was ahead of its day, before the extreme muscle car craze that happened a couple years after the game was gone.
Old 10/9/08, 02:32 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

I remember seeing it, but I was still living at home then, and my parents still haven't upgraded from 56k
Old 10/12/08, 11:27 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Hah, funny GT5 Prologue story, I DL'd the online component last night and went racing head to head. I had a Nissan GT-R in my inventory and kept getting my butt whipped at the Daytona and Fugi race tracks, so I raced and sold till I could afford a GT(40) then went back to Fugi.

It was me and one other guy running against Corvette Z06's, a variety of Ferraris, the GT-R's and a few other types. The Ford GT(40)s dominated the field so well that around 11 or 12 races later everybody was running a GT(40) and the new guys showing up were bringing in the different makes.

Lol, it was almost like some sort of 550hp spec race I cant wait till you can really get into chassis/engine tunning (hopefully it will transfer to the online game) and sort the cars out for a particular driving style. I really favor a car that oversteers.
Old 10/13/08, 10:58 AM
Bullitt Member

I played GT5 online for a little bit. Sucked that most everybody used the same car on daytona. And really sucked if you got stuck in last place to start off with, because the noobs in front, don't know how to keep a line. Or try to block, when you're obviously faster than them.
Old 10/13/08, 12:45 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I never played but I vaguely recall hearing about it

Sounds pretty freaking sweet though. I would definitely play it if it were out today
Old 10/13/08, 12:55 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally Posted by future9er24
I never played but I vaguely recall hearing about it

Sounds pretty freaking sweet though. I would definitely play it if it were out today
you have no idea, just imagine a game where for example you have a sb 302 ford, and looking to add some top end power, you go to the parts store and don't find just 1 2 or 3 stage parts but literaly 20-50 different types between the brands and all are differnt and have differnt flows, power ranges... and then you decide to check the parts auction, they that same performer intake can be had for 50 bucks cheaper here then in the store, what a deal! , or a rare Trans am cross boss intake not avaiabe in stores!! and you decides to do heads or cam, and you have the same amazing selection of choices. it feels like you are building a real engine not just a game..

I have to stop now, i am getting too excited....

Quick Reply: Did anyone ever play Motor City Online for the PC?