Search this Thread

Old 4/5/07 | 11:43 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Chevy dealers "mad as hell" - target Tundra with ads

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/05/c...ndra-with-ads/
Old 4/5/07 | 12:14 PM
Cobra Member

I understand the reasoning behind this. I have never seen the severe quality difference between American vs import that most people seem to think there is. Does Lexus make a better car then Cadillac? Not in my opinion. Though just because Chevy sold more trucks overall does not mean this guy is not loosing business to a local Toyota dealer, and Toyota has TV ads right now that target American cars. Stating that the competition makes you rush out and buy their car for a "great deal" or you will feel stupid, but that buying a Toyota because of it's quality and high resale value will make you a genius. So if Chevy dealers want to use Toyota's recalls to help them sell cars I don't see how the two are any different. Fair is fair and considering how unbalnced this country is with domestic vs import (Domestic pays out benefits and union dues along with the normal taxes ect. while imports face no import tax and are free to take 100% of their porfits back to their home country to boost their economy).
Old 4/5/07 | 07:44 PM

If it's such a great car, than why would resale value matter?!
Old 4/5/07 | 07:48 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by vistablue mustang
Does Lexus make a better car then Cadillac?
Not if you've seen the '08 CTS.
Old 4/5/07 | 07:53 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Lexus can pass only in the USA. There's a reason why Toyota doesn't sell them in Europe.
Old 4/5/07 | 08:51 PM
Cobra Member

The sad truth of this article is that GM outsold Toyota 59000 trucks to 10000. The passage about the crushed Camry siting under a Silverado makes it pretty apparent that the General Manager of Jim Ellis Chevrolet is very anti-Toyota.

Does he have documented public proof to show that the Toyota in the commercial did not pull 10,000 pounds but installed pulled 5,000 pounds plus the weight of the truck? If he does he's certainly not sharing it with the public.

Reality is that Autoblog is not providing all of the facts in this case so its difficult to accurately guess who is right and who is wrong. From a purely circumstantial perspective, however, Mr. Frost's campaign looks a wee bit sleazy to me.
Old 4/5/07 | 09:23 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Red Star
Lexus can pass only in the USA. There's a reason why Toyota doesn't sell them in Europe.
I believe that the UK is part of the European Union, and thus, a part of Europe.
Old 4/5/07 | 09:24 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Martimus
From a purely circumstantial perspective, however, Mr. Frost's campaign looks a wee bit sleazy to me.
"Childish" is the word I'd use.
Old 4/5/07 | 09:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

"Toyota recalled more vehicles in 2007 than it sold"
is this true?

would be nice if it was.
Old 4/5/07 | 09:53 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by n00bstang
"Toyota recalled more vehicles in 2007 than it sold"
is this true?

would be nice if it was.
Why would it be nice?
Old 4/5/07 | 10:10 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
I believe that the UK is part of the European Union, and thus, a part of Europe.
Yeah, that was my mistake, I forgot they started selling them.

Since I'm originally from Europe, I have many friend there and majority of them laught at Lexus when you compare them to Mercedes, BMW and/or Audi.
Old 4/5/07 | 10:11 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Why would it be nice?
'Cause its competition.
Old 4/5/07 | 10:13 PM

Why would it be nice?
AND, maybe it'd prove that it sucks!!
Old 4/5/07 | 10:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
AND, maybe it'd prove that it sucks!!
lol +1

Actually if you pick apart the statistic, it's not that big of a deal even if it is true. In 2007, that's what 3 full months? Not a very big time frame. And it's probably just a buncha Tundras. But it still gets across the point that Jap cars can suck *****.
Old 4/6/07 | 01:57 AM
Closet American

Just a polite FYI: In Japanese dictionaries, the term 'Jap' is only defined as a disparaging term used against the Japanese people, as is also the case in many English language dictionaries.

Remember, too: What brand is your camera, your stereo, your television, etc, etc, etc.

But I do agree with you that companies like Toyota now seem to be suffering some of the quality problems that began to plague the "Big Three" beginning in the mid-1970s. Toyota arrogance that they can "do no wrong" will eventually catch up to them just like it does every other company. Toyotas throughout the '80s were phenomenal cars...nowadays, less so, relatively.
Old 4/6/07 | 02:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Unionize all of the US based Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and all others manufacturing plants so the playing field is level. The other option is to STOP the unions dead in their tracks here at the big 3 plants to level it in THAT direction. Otherwise, big 3 will get their financial butts kicked for years to come. You can't pay people $45 an hour plus lifetime benes and pensions forever without going under. Simple economics will tell you the unions time has come and gone. If they don't divest themselves from it, it will kill them all.
Old 4/6/07 | 04:04 PM

I know I'm not going to make any friends with this comment....

but maybe Toyota is having probablems with recalls becuase they are building a lot of these vehicles in America now....and the same lazy Americans that build domestic vehicles are now building the "foreign" makes too....just a thought...

but Believe me...I'm as American as they come...but I'll admit..I can be lazy.
Old 4/6/07 | 08:22 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by codeman94
I know I'm not going to make any friends with this comment....

but maybe Toyota is having probablems with recalls becuase they are building a lot of these vehicles in America now....and the same lazy Americans that build domestic vehicles are now building the "foreign" makes too....just a thought...
I think it may be more their overall philosophy - several of the models built in Japan have been affected, too.
Old 4/6/07 | 08:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
Unionize all of the US based Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and all others manufacturing plants so the playing field is level. The other option is to STOP the unions dead in their tracks here at the big 3 plants to level it in THAT direction. Otherwise, big 3 will get their financial butts kicked for years to come. You can't pay people $45 an hour plus lifetime benes and pensions forever without going under. Simple economics will tell you the unions time has come and gone. If they don't divest themselves from it, it will kill them all.
Totally agree. I read somewhere that when you factor in the benefits, the amount the big 3 are paying the average worker per hour is somewhere in the $80-90 range. How can you expect to make any money spending that kind of dough?? I mean, this average includes the grass mowers and floor sweepers as well! You know some of the older guys are making BIG BIG bucks!
Old 4/6/07 | 08:41 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by theedge67
Totally agree. I read somewhere that when you factor in the benefits, the amount the big 3 are paying the average worker per hour is somewhere in the $80-90 range. How can you expect to make any money spending that kind of dough?? I mean, this average includes the grass mowers and floor sweepers as well! You know some of the older guys are making BIG BIG bucks!
Yeah, $70K a year to park cars that roll off the assembly line is a little ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Chevy dealers "mad as hell" - target Tundra with ads