General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Chevy Camaro arrives at Nürburgring sporting Brembos

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/08, 09:21 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chevy Camaro arrives at Nürburgring sporting Brembos

Hmmm, looks like those ugo lights may be real after all. This car looks pretty close to production ready to me. The rest looks good, though.

More pics.

The Stang looks better, though...and I'm not just saying that 'cause I own one.

Last edited by Hollywood_North GT; 4/7/08 at 09:22 PM.
Old 4/7/08, 09:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Meh... I just don't like it anymore. The new has worn off. Is it just me or are the rear fenders a different shade of black?
Old 4/7/08, 09:29 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I guess they are sticking with those headlights. I agree its Lost in Translation.
Old 4/7/08, 11:13 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think those headlights may put the Brembo brakes on some prospective buyers if the car really does go into production sporting those atrocities. Simple solution - one-piece lens covering the headlight projectors in a reflective bucket/surround (Kind of like a Fox/SN95 "Euro clear/projector" headlight center section) Beats having those 4 beady eyes staring back at you.
Old 4/8/08, 04:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That car is horrid. All hail the mustang. Ford was first to ogo retro and they hit the nail right on the head. Everyone else followed and failed IMO. 4door charger ne one
Old 4/8/08, 06:03 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the car is nice overall. peices like the headlights can be changed very easy by the aftermarket so if thats the biggest complaint the car has other then the interior i think they aren't doing too bad.
Old 4/8/08, 09:02 AM
V6 Member

HEADLIGHTS AREN'T PRODUCTION.....................That thing looks awesome,i can't wait for next spring. 'Ring tested,Brembo brakes,IRS,Corvette engines,incredible styling..............whew,i hope the Ford really brings its best game for the '10 Mustang or i sense alot of Ford fans may jump ship. This new Camaro could be the first truly great pony car. This may be like when the C5 came out and it just elevated the Corvette to a whole new level,i think this may be similar. I want a red SS,badly.
Old 4/8/08, 09:14 AM
Needs to be more Astony

It will only be good good if they keep the price down, if the base V8 car is over 30 grand then i say forget it, it priced itself out of its class.
Old 4/8/08, 09:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Knight
It will only be good good if they keep the price down, if the base V8 car is over 30 grand then i say forget it, it priced itself out of its class.
And if they keep the weight down. If this comes in at 30k for a base V8 and weighs 3800lb, which seems likely, what we'll effectively have is a C6 to C6.5 style upgrade of the 2005+ GTO concept at best. Handling may be a bit better and acceleration may pick up a little, but to be honest I doubt you'll be able to notice the difference in either case since the base V8-powered Camaro is only picking up a little (very little) in the way of power and is likely gaining a couple of pounds compared to the GTO. More and more it appears were getting a GTO redux in a retro Camaro suit, and last I checked nobody was calling the GTO the greatest pony-car or muscle-car ever

I've said it before and I'll say it again, odds appear very good GM botched this one. And if the 2011MY Mustang GT makes it to production with the rumored 5.0L, DI, 400hp V8...odds of which seem extremely good at this point....the Camaro is in some deep....
Old 4/8/08, 09:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

I still don't like it. Looks cartoonish to me.
Old 4/8/08, 03:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Haljordan
HEADLIGHTS AREN'T PRODUCTION.....................That thing looks awesome,i can't wait for next spring. 'Ring tested,Brembo brakes,IRS,Corvette engines,incredible styling..............whew,i hope the Ford really brings its best game for the '10 Mustang or i sense alot of Ford fans may jump ship. This new Camaro could be the first truly great pony car. This may be like when the C5 came out and it just elevated the Corvette to a whole new level,i think this may be similar. I want a red SS,badly.

I dont think we even need to wait for ford to "bring up" there game in 2010....I think our cars already look alot better than this "thing"
Old 4/8/08, 03:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I hate the headlights, and I normally like that style. If they're going to make a retro mod, make one, but they keep moving further and further away from it. I love the proto they used in Transformers, but I'm getting further and further from liking it. I'm glad I just bought a stang.
Old 4/8/08, 09:08 PM
Cobra Member

The rear quarter view looks especially bad. For me that's a weak point for the S197 Mustang too, but the Mustang still looks much better.
Old 4/8/08, 09:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Just something about the stance just doesn't do anything for me. I know most of the shots it's under load, but I'm talking about the ones where it's not. It rides too high and the wheels are tucked in too far under the wheel well...but you can fix that with aftermarket also.

Until I actually see one, I still will not have made up my mind. But generally, I'm dissapointed.
Old 4/9/08, 06:02 AM
Needs to be more Astony

I wonder what this camaro runs around the 'ring in.
Old 4/9/08, 08:41 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Clark Kent
I dont think we even need to wait for ford to "bring up" there game in 2010....I think our cars already look alot better than this "thing"
I don't mean looks,styling is subjective. I mean Ford had better not carry over a 300HP engine for the '10 GT if it doesn't want to fall behind. It's bad enough the new Genesis will match the V8 with it's V6,but if the new GT loses alot of power to the Camaro,it would make the stang look even worse,i'm not saying it has to match it HP to HP,but it needs to close.
I think the Mustang reputation was really damaged in '94 when all Ford could do was a 215HP GT to match the LT1 Z28,and i would hate for something similar to happen again. I don't care if the Mustang outsold the Camaro,the GT looked like a joke compared to the F-body.
By all reports,it would seem Ford does have something special planned for the GT,i would hope,with a 370HP Challenger and 350+HP Camaro running around,not to mention the Hyundai pony car,which should cost the same as a GT. That's what i mean by bringing up its game. Better brakes,better handling and alot more HP is what Ford needs to counter the Camaro. Carryover anything,which is a Ford trademark, is suicide for its image,i don't care how good it looks.
Old 4/9/08, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

I don't mean looks,styling is subjective. I mean Ford had better not carry over a 300HP engine for the '10 GT if it doesn't want to fall behind. It's bad enough the new Genesis will match the V8 with it's V6,but if the new GT loses alot of power to the Camaro,it would make the stang look even worse,i'm not saying it has to match it HP to HP,but it needs to close.
I think the Mustang reputation was really damaged in '94 when all Ford could do was a 215HP GT to match the LT1 Z28,and i would hate for something similar to happen again. I don't care if the Mustang outsold the Camaro,the GT looked like a joke compared to the F-body.
By all reports,it would seem Ford does have something special planned for the GT,i would hope,with a 370HP Challenger and 350+HP Camaro running around,not to mention the Hyundai pony car,which should cost the same as a GT. That's what i mean by bringing up its game. Better brakes,better handling and alot more HP is what Ford needs to counter the Camaro. Carryover anything,which is a Ford trademark, is suicide for its image,i don't care how good it looks.
A) No one is going to celebrate a Genesis, and outside of women and the import tuner crowd, I don't see it being a huge competitor in the US. Hyundai has certainly ratcheted up their build quality in the last few years, but this market isn't their forte, and they've changed the build version away from the proto enough that I'm not thinking it's going to sell that well. Too bad they got rid of the hood for instance.

B) Honestly, Ford has had lapses in the past where their engines weren't very powerful in relation to mostly GM, but do you honestly think we're in one of those times? They're talking twin turbo engine builds right now. Come on. There won't be anything to worry about. And the S197 is still dead sexy, which is quite honestly quite a lot of what sells cars. They are also still one of the safest cars on the road, and are still comparably powerful to others in it's class for the average buying public which isn't planning on modding their vehicles (ie, not us). If anything, as stated many times, the Chally and Camaro are probably great things for us, because Ford will feel compelled to give us more of what we like.

C) The S197 doesn't have those atrocious headlights. Blech.
Old 4/9/08, 11:32 AM
V6 Member

HEADLIGHTS AREN'T PRODUCTION...............I agree the Camaro and Challenger are great things for the Mustang,i hope the Camaro especially is hugely successful. I'm just stating that i really hope Ford would not rest on any of the S197's laurels,which,according to the lastest rumor in the '10 section...........5.0L 400HP. Awesome,i'm not holding my breath,but it's that's true,i'm sold. That 5.0L designation,while not the same engine,has such a huge mystique for me and i'm sure,many,many other Mustang fans.The SRT-8 has it's engine size announced on it's hood,i would be even more excited to see the return of the 5.0L badge.
The Genesis will compete,if not for GT sales,it could surely make a HUGE dent in V6 Mustang sales,which could be a HUGE problem. It's a pony car,and it needs to not be ignored,not matter who makes it. Who would celebrate a Genesis?? Some people wonder why anyone would celebrate a Mustang,everyone is different. I'm looking forward to this car as well,i see it as a nice 1-series competitor as well.
Old 4/9/08, 12:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

HEADLIGHTS AREN'T PRODUCTION
That's a relief, the just don't fill out the grill right.

That 5.0L designation,while not the same engine,has such a huge mystique for me and i'm sure,many,many other Mustang fans.
I grew up in the eighties, graduated in 1990, I'm right there with ya. 5.0 says Mustang for me in many ways.

The Genesis will compete,if not for GT sales,it could surely make a HUGE dent in V6 Mustang sales,which could be a HUGE problem.
I agree, and the market is getting more and more cloudy as Hondas, Nissans, Toyotas, Mitsus, Hyundais, etc all approach similar HP and performance numbers, which makes it crucial that Ford puts value in the Sixers, which I think Ecoboost will give it. I just wonder about Genesis in relation to Hyundai's reputation as a value company. Value doesn't say sexy, which is why there is such a huge market for changing Civics into what some people consider sexy. However, there already are many established cars with a huge aftermarket base, whereas the Genesis and Hyundai in general don't have much. Not saying the average mall-shopper who bought a Tiburon is going to care, but it does help to generate hype. But what I think will hurt the Genesis is the fact that it WAS pretty sexy, but they took a lot of those really attractive pieces off for the sake of cost saving measures. Looking at performance numbers isn't generally the hobby of the average mall shopper buyer, so if you start to take away the cars looks, what are you doing to sales? I agree with you, it will still be a market player, and could be pretty influential if it gets some market support and isn't plagued by any serious build problems from Hyundai.

Who would celebrate a Genesis?? Some people wonder why anyone would celebrate a Mustang,everyone is different.
History can do a lot for a car, obviously, it speaks to longevity, which the Mustang unquestionably has, which leads to market support both in the buying public and the aftermarket arena. Buying a Mustang is buying a legacy, not just a car, it's also buying the promise that parts will be available for your car in 20 years, and that someone will want it. I also happen to think it looks good and performs better than most on the street. Reason enough to celebrate. The Hyundai is an unknown, in it's first build year, and about to be thrown into a ring with lots of other approaching sports car platforms. I'm not ready to say it's going to threaten the sixer just yet. I guess it'll come down to features, which is where Hyundai usually gets an edge over other companies. In that respect, I think you might have a big point. I think Ford hasn't kept up very well in all the little features that car buyers look for. Example, why in the world doesn't my GT have auto-on light-sensing headlights? My 2001 Celica had those and there isn't a mustang with them yet. What gives?

Last edited by Mackitraz; 4/9/08 at 12:49 PM.
Old 4/12/08, 10:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Most Mustang owners could care less about auto-on sensing headlights and some of the other "features" that imports build into their cars.

It will be interesting to see what the real, live Camaro is from GM. Everything up to this point is still rumor if you ask me.

Quick Reply: Chevy Camaro arrives at Nürburgring sporting Brembos