Old 11/29/07, 08:23 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Challenger SRT8 MSRP announced.

Msrp $37,995
Old 11/29/07, 08:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have they released any production photos?
Old 11/29/07, 08:50 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not bad.
Old 11/29/07, 08:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I'm guessing they will sell for 10k over that for a long while
Old 11/29/07, 09:29 AM

Undoubtedly, there will be a lot of dealer gouging, errr, markup, when the Challenger hits the streets, Dodge really can't help that nor could Ford with the GT500. But $37 big and change ain't bad as compared to the $42K GT500, which has a bit more motor but less capable chassis -- who knows about other features and details.

Question is, what does this hint at for the R/T version? If I recall, the SRT-8 versions are usually about $10K over the base R/T versions, which would indicate a base Challenger R/T coming in around $28K, which makes sense. Tart it up with a few options and a typical R/T will probably be rolling out the door at about $30-32K, a bit more than a Stang but arguably for a bit more car, i.e., similar level of value.

Wonder when Chevy will start dropping details on the Camaro?

This pony/muscle car war is shaping up to be interesting.
Old 11/29/07, 09:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

38k is MSRP but then i can only imagine what the Dealer ADM's are going to be!!!
Old 11/29/07, 09:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StangPower05
38k is MSRP but then i can only imagine what the Dealer ADM's are going to be!!!
I won't be suprised to see anywhere from $10,000 to $25,000 over MSRP. And we have to remember. That price ($37,995) is base MSRP, with no options. I'm sure with options, it will price out over $40,000 easy. Not a bad starting price though. I'd take one when Sublime becomes available.
Old 11/29/07, 09:57 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Glenn
I'm guessing they will sell for 10k over that for a long while
Probably, since Dodge is planing to sell only 5,000 Challengers in first year.
Old 11/29/07, 10:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

If its an SRT-8 then it won't be "base" the whole SRT package always adds more than just an engine, leather etc. Not a bad price IMO.
Old 11/29/07, 11:15 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
And only in Silver, Black or HemiOrange

wonder what the Canadian pricing will be.... if any are coming to Canada for 08
Old 11/29/07, 11:17 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Don't forget the GG tax, should put it righ at $40K before options.
Originally Posted by rhumb
Question is, what does this hint at for the R/T version? If I recall, the SRT-8 versions are usually about $10K over the base R/T versions, which would indicate a base Challenger R/T coming in around $28K, which makes sense. Tart it up with a few options and a typical R/T will probably be rolling out the door at about $30-32K, a bit more than a Stang but arguably for a bit more car, i.e., similar level of value.
You're assuming this price point is permanent. I think it's highly possible they're discounting the first year in order to offset some of the inevitable ADM and to build press/goodwill going into their production run. Then, when the full lineup hits the lots, they bump the SRT-8 up 3-4 grand and justify by saying they now have the R/T and Base models filling out the lower price points.
Old 11/29/07, 12:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Undoubtedly, there will be a lot of dealer gouging, errr, markup, when the Challenger hits the streets, Dodge really can't help that nor could Ford with the GT500. But $37 big and change ain't bad as compared to the $42K GT500, which has a bit more motor but less capable chassis -- who knows about other features and details.

Wonder when Chevy will start dropping details on the Camaro?

This pony/muscle car war is shaping up to be interesting.
A bit more motor? I would argue that 75hp is a bit more than just, well...a bit more. And as yet we have no idea of how capable the Challenger's chassis is. Even more, for all we know the ST8 could be little more than a Challenger RT with the 6.1L stuffed under the hood in place of the run of the mill Hemi. Assuming that this will be executed on the same kind of level that the 300 and Charger were isn't a safe bet since this is only SRT's second go 'round with a model anything like those cars. Given this, at the moment any extrapolation regarding price is nothing more than a guess, and arguably not even an overly educated guess at that..
Old 11/29/07, 01:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jsaylor
A bit more motor? I would argue that 75hp is a bit more than just, well...a bit more. And as yet we have no idea of how capable the Challenger's chassis is. Even more, for all we know the ST8 could be little more than a Challenger RT with the 6.1L stuffed under the hood in place of the run of the mill Hemi. Assuming that this will be executed on the same kind of level that the 300 and Charger were isn't a safe bet since this is only SRT's second go 'round with a model anything like those cars. Given this, at the moment any extrapolation regarding price is nothing more than a guess, and arguably not even an overly educated guess at that..
I think he meant that it has more cubes. 5.4 vs 6.1.

The GT500 is near 4K pounds and front end heavy so its not exactly a Auto-X contender either.
I would imagine the SRT version will be a capable handler similar to the SRT Charger but I doubt it will be anything better.
Old 11/29/07, 01:49 PM
Cobra Member

A bit more motor? I would argue that 75hp is a bit more than just, well...a bit more.

Have they actually said itll be 425hp yet? Id be quite surprised if its not tuned up a little from what the charger/300/magnum have already been using for a few years.
Old 11/29/07, 03:02 PM

All this is talk about pretty much anything is, of course, gross speculation at this point -- what else would it be -- but hey, ain't that what d'ese here forums are for, workplace escapism?

With that disclaimer laid down, I'll extrapolate from the existant SRT8 LX chassis to the Challenger SRT8, which I presume will be tuned tauter yet and perhaps a touch lighter, and declare it potentially better than the capable if nose heavy GT500 chassis bounding along with its buggy axle out back.

The GT500 does have a nice bit more HP than the current 6.1 Hemi, but they're both pretty stupendous motors in any case. As others have mentioned, it wouldn't be surprising if the Challenger's 6.1 gets a few more ponies yet over the sedan/wagon/SUV existing SRT8s for this full-on performance model, but then, Ford can readily uncork more fizz too from the GT500 as Shelby has demonstrated.

I see no reason to presuppose that Dodge will suddenly go stupid and bow the Challenger's legs precisely because of the excellent job done with its other SRT8 stable mates. Of course they could loose their mojo, but their record would argue otherwise.

I think the onus will be on Ford, and Chevy, to come up with competitive or superior pony cars rather than hoping Dodge boogers this up. The Mustang's good, very good, but its days of being a sole big fish in its own pond are coming to an end as Dodge and Chevy are about to dump some hungry sharks into the water.

I think the gist of these discussions ought not to be so much whitling past the graveyard in the fond hope that Dodge and Chevy will somehow botch things up and the Stang will thus forever reign supreme, but rather, how's Ford going to up its game with the Mustang to match what will likely be a pair of very excellent and extremely competitve pony cars.
Old 11/29/07, 03:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Does that include Gas Guzzler Tax...I think it would also be nice to see what that price offically gets us....still no pics from dodge on this thing.
Old 11/29/07, 03:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by ScottyBoy302
Have they actually said itll be 425hp yet? Id be quite surprised if its not tuned up a little from what the charger/300/magnum have already been using for a few years.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more ponies, but given the current state of things at Chrysler I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't either.

All this is talk about pretty much anything is, of course, gross speculation at this point -- what else would it be -- but hey, ain't that what d'ese here forums are for, workplace escapism?

With that disclaimer laid down, I'll extrapolate from the existant SRT8 LX chassis to the Challenger SRT8, which I presume will be tuned tauter yet and perhaps a touch lighter, and declare it potentially better than the capable if nose heavy GT500 chassis bounding along with its buggy axle out back.

The GT500 does have a nice bit more HP than the current 6.1 Hemi, but they're both pretty stupendous motors in any case. As others have mentioned, it wouldn't be surprising if the Challenger's 6.1 gets a few more ponies yet over the sedan/wagon/SUV existing SRT8s for this full-on performance model, but then, Ford can readily uncork more fizz too from the GT500 as Shelby has demonstrated.

I see no reason to presuppose that Dodge will suddenly go stupid and bow the Challenger's legs precisely because of the excellent job done with its other SRT8 stable mates. Of course they could loose their mojo, but their record would argue otherwise.

I think the onus will be on Ford, and Chevy, to come up with competitive or superior pony cars rather than hoping Dodge boogers this up. The Mustang's good, very good, but its days of being a sole big fish in its own pond are coming to an end as Dodge and Chevy are about to dump some hungry sharks into the water.

I think the gist of these discussions ought not to be so much whitling past the graveyard in the fond hope that Dodge and Chevy will somehow botch things up and the Stang will thus forever reign supreme, but rather, how's Ford going to up its game with the Mustang to match what will likely be a pair of very excellent and extremely competitve pony cars.
I'm skeptical that Dodge can deliver a Charger dynamically superior to the Mustang and do it for a similar price. The LX cars are nice enough, but they have gotten continually more expensive as time has elapsed and even the sub 40k sticker for the Challenger, sans GGT, is a bit of a shocker and has me propping up an eyebrow regarding what might not be there.

That said, I'd be surprised if the weight difference between the Challenger and it's sedan stablemates exceeds 100lb by any significant margin given how large the coupe is going to be. And, even assuming a 200lb weight difference, the Charger SRT8 has a rather serious amount of ground to make up to attain the same level of handling that the GT500 exhibits and I remain skeptical that a bit of chassis tuning and some minor weight loss can cover that much of a gap on it's own.

That said, I think the Challenger is an interesting car that is more of an oddly named, modern day 69 Charger than a true pony car given it's large size....even if we are using Mother Mopar's hybrid muscle/pony car Challenger and Cuda as a yardstick.
Old 11/29/07, 04:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If that price is correct, I may consider one after the stang is paid off
Old 11/29/07, 04:27 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Mine is payed off so I'm thinking Plum Crazy or Black RT
Old 11/29/07, 05:55 PM
Bullitt Member

I think its safe to say the Mustang already has. Its been in production longer than most cars on the road and holds the record in sales. I have nothing aganist other brands, and the Challenger is deffinately cool, (Id consider one for a toy if I was looking)but I don't see it as much of a threat. A simple blower swap to a Kenne Bell on the GT500 nets 200hp more at the wheels(guy in my car club did this).

Quick Reply: Challenger SRT8 MSRP announced.