General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Challenger in 18 to 24 Months??

Search this Thread

Old 1/18/06, 03:49 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Route 66@January 17, 2006, 8:25 PM
Where are gas prices soaring??? Maybe dropping, but surely not soaring.
They're definitely not dropping.

Oil prices climbing back up again
Old 1/19/06, 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What will the cost be of the new Challenger?? If history does repeat it will be significantly more than the Mustang. The smart thing Ford did was make the Stang available to most car buyers. Just like back in the '60's. I'll bet both the Camero and Challenger will be a higher costing car than the stang.
Old 1/20/06, 10:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was playing around with nice pics of the Lincoln MKS and it looks like a production car, not a show car.

The details on the Challenger are near production too, with nothing anywhere on the car over the top-in most cases the production 300 looks less 'feesable'. The dash and interior is well sorted, nothing on the facias looks non-producable, it even looks like the bean counters have already 'chopped' the interior into shape. I would say its possible to see a very close car to this in no time flat, under 2 years even. Even the 'funky' headlight treatments look like they were moulded from plastic. Show cars usually do this in very expensive machined aluminum for more 'wow' factor(not to mention no tooling). This 'show' car if it was that far out should not look so much like a production car. It even has weatherstipping fitted to the doors. Even if its a one-off, the dash/console look like production trials. And DCX have surely not been scared to bend steel on bodies in the past few years for sure.

Just like the lincoln, look at the hvac controls out of molded plastic and fully labled with nothing you would see out of the ordinary. Considering that a car's dashboard is over 1/3 the cost of development with a new car, its the most tell-tale place to sort out show from go.

lookie here: http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/Car.php?carnumber=840

And see what you can find inside that looks over the top.

The Camaro though looks like a one-off fiberglass shell / way out concept car built by hand. It looks about as feesable as the Ford 427 concept interior. Its a typical 'dream' car like the ford SYN concept. Pull up pics on maximum-cars.com and see how 'ready' any of it is.
Old 1/21/06, 03:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

I hope the Challenger goes into production and I hope it happens quick- I want one
Old 1/21/06, 04:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by ex-Galaxie500@January 21, 2006, 4:45 PM
I hope the Challenger goes into production and I hope it happens quick- I want one
Ditto, I like it. And you may actually be able to get one for closer to MSRP much sooner than a GT500!!!!!
Old 2/12/06, 12:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ex-Galaxie500 @ January 21, 2006, 2:45 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

if (big if) the '08 model is available mid summer '07 I'll have to reconsider the mods planned for my '05!
Old 2/12/06, 12:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(00StangGT @ January 16, 2006, 3:56 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Too bad it's on a platform designed for big luxury cars.....I don't see it being a very good driving vehicle as the platform is not engineered for the application
[/b][/quote]

The Mustang is built on the same platform as the Lincoln LS and a couple Volvo models. Not exactly big luxury cars but still not sports cars.

Also, I had the chance to ride in a Magnum SRT8. Trust me, that car is no slouch. So don't discount the Challenger simply because of who it shares a platform with.
Old 2/12/06, 01:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AWmustang @ February 12, 2006, 2:43 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The Mustang is built on the same platform as the Lincoln LS and a couple Volvo models. Not exactly big luxury cars but still not sports cars.
[/b][/quote]

The Mustang's platform is its own with certain design ideas carried over from the LS.

Getting a Challenger out in 18 months is going to be a "challenge". If it is a shortened-wheelbase version of the current 300/Magnum/Charger platform, I predict it will take some serious work to design, test, and make the car production ready in existing facilities. Twenty-four months seems more likely.
Old 2/12/06, 02:46 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AFBLUE @ January 16, 2006, 2:09 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Competition is good for everyone. Puts pressure on Ford to keep the Mustang exciting
[/b][/quote]

Yeap, but whats the problem? I drive my 2005 GT Coupe the whole Year in snow and sunshine and i wanna have a other car - maybe a vert - for 3 or 4 month in summer. Hope the challenger comes open [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]

Its not an alternative for my pony, only a new toy for me [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BC_Shelby @ January 18, 2006, 4:52 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
They're definitely not dropping.

Oil prices climbing back up again
[/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] we pay 1.65 USD for one litre premium unleaded here in germany.

See it this way: Its cheaper Your pony runs with fuel than with scotch or californian wine [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 03:02 PM
Bullitt Member

I'll take mine in black.
Old 2/12/06, 03:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The Challenger appears to be on the same page as the SRT-series of automobiles, which run in the $40K range.

That puts Challenger square in the headlights of the more capable GT500.

As for the Camaro: I liked the concept, but I'm watiting to see how it looks once it is toned down for production.
Old 2/12/06, 04:01 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(06GT @ February 12, 2006, 5:40 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The Challenger appears to be on the same page as the SRT-series of automobiles, which run in the $40K range.

That puts Challenger square in the headlights of the more capable GT500.

As for the Camaro: I liked the concept, but I'm watiting to see how it looks once it is toned down for production.
[/b][/quote]

This is what I have been thinking, the Challenger is going to be priced similar to the GT500 but the Camaro will probably be offered in various models/price ranges which may be more competition for the v6 and GT Mustangs. I really like both concepts and I think they will both have their place with respective enthusiests.
Old 2/12/06, 04:26 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FourLights @ February 12, 2006, 6:04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
This is what I have been thinking, the Challenger is going to be priced similar to the GT500 but the Camaro will probably be offered in various models/price ranges which may be more competition for the v6 and GT Mustangs. I really like both concepts and I think they will both have their place with respective enthusiests.
[/b][/quote]

I'll have to correct myself, I just saw evidence that they may offer several versions of the Challenger.
Here is a link:
http://www.dodge.com/challenger_survey
Old 2/12/06, 06:38 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

That article sounds like BS to me. Yet another so called automotive writer giving their own speculation without regard for the facts.

If the Challenger is built, it will be on the next generation LX platform, which is not due until 2009.

Also, latest word is that the Challenger is getting the green light for limited production with only a hemi version (no V6).
Old 2/12/06, 07:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe the Pacer and Gremlin will make a comeback too!!
Old 2/19/06, 10:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AFBLUE @ January 16, 2006, 2:09 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Competition is good for everyone. Puts pressure on Ford to keep the Mustang exciting
[/b][/quote]

I've driven both the Magnum and the Charger, and the platform is actually very capable. Although not quite as nimble as the Mustang, the Charger is no slouch. It should only get better shedding the punds and inches to get Challenger sized.
Old 2/19/06, 12:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Juice @ February 19, 2006, 11:48 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I've driven both the Magnum and the Charger, and the platform is actually very capable. Although not quite as nimble as the Mustang, the Charger is no slouch. It should only get better shedding the punds and inches to get Challenger sized.
[/b][/quote]

Challenger sized? I guess you don't realize that the Challenger concept is just as long as a Magnum (and probably pretty close in weight as well).
Old 2/26/06, 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

I guess I don't get it....everyone thinks that the 6.1L Challenger will be better and more affordable than the GT500.

The R/T Challenger should be fairly close to the Mustang GT in pricing(maybe within 5K). The 6.1L Challenger should be pretty close to a GT500(before dealer mark-ups).

Why is there a mis-conception? Or am I wrong?