General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Camaro, Shelby Gt and MKS will see production

Search this Thread

Old 8/29/06 | 10:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Not today, I fear. But nice try anyway.

I'll leave it to you to figure out which "famous" journalist said THIS (a quote that typically represents what automotive journalists think about the SRA) >>

Its brakes were cooked by turn six; the final slow corner completely overwhelmed the live rear axle; and through the fearsome Corkscrew, which twists down a gradient so steep you can’t even walk up it, I’m afraid Mr Ed was about as pin sharp as a punt gun. I **** nearly soiled myself.
Clarskson thinks anything American stinks anyway... He's not a jounalist, he's TV personality.

On the other hand, I challenge you to find me three articles that state the new Mustang GT has exemplary handling...
Motor Trend

The steering is tidy. Cornering prowess is inspiring: the GT powers through the slalom at better than 65 mph. Yes, the Mustang's live axle has been roundly criticized for being a blatant cost-cutting measure, but all those sniffy "Independent Rear Suspension" badges won't do other drivers much good when your GT is already leaving exhaust echoes around the next bend.
Car & Driver
Not even the most recent independent-rear-suspension SVT Cobra can match the new GT's skidpad grip, which now also surpasses a Nissan 350Z Touring's, come to think of it. Pitched hard into corners, the Mustang is initially neutral, then tends toward understeer. If the push annoys you, just stab the throttle and you can induce power oversteer. Neutral, understeer, oversteer. Quite a smorgasbord. And the tail-happiness now materializes more gently, rather than in one heart-stopping twitch. Throughout, extraneous body movements are nicely damped....

In fact, every C/D tester peered at least once under our GT's rump to ensure there weren't a couple of pricey half-shafts whizzing around in there.
Edmunds
The latest Mustang uses an all-new MacPherson strut front suspension design combined with performance-tuned rack and pinion steering. The setup provides absolutely stellar driving dynamics, while the large front and rear anti-sway bars tame body roll to an absolute minimum. We were skeptical about Ford's use of a solid "live" axle out back rather than developing a more advanced independent rear suspension setup, but the reality is that most would-be buyers don't want to pay for all that extra technology. And when one balances the '05 Mustang's low cost and excellent ride and handling ability with the lack of cutting-edge technology, it appears that Ford made the right decision.
Old 8/29/06 | 10:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

This is getting interesting....

Old 8/29/06 | 10:51 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
Clarskson thinks anything American stinks anyway... He's not a jounalist, he's TV personality.
Nope and nope. For one, he is a very well-regarded Automotive journalist. He writes for the Sunday Times and the Sun. as well as Top Gear Magazine. Appearing on TV didn't make Leon Mandel any less the journalist, same for Clarkson.

Secondly, he doesn't think "anything American stinks." He lampoons the Stereotypes of American society and the American Automotive industry, but that's a popular facet of English nationalist humor, and we can hardly argue that his comments are baseless. He's a big Mustang fan, he owns a Ford GT and considered buying a GT-500KR, and has been generally supportive of what Ford money has done for PAG. Hardly the acts of a senseless America-basher.
Old 8/30/06 | 02:26 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by TomServo92
The fact is you got busted quoting someone with zero credibility but lack the courage to admit it.

The "fact," according to you. You love your obfuscations, don't you? For what was I busted, exactly? (In order to be "busted," one has to have done something wrong.) For quoting someone who is clearly capable of differentiating the handling dynamics of various automobiles? How exactly is this guy's credibility any less than, oh, say YOURS?

Let's stick to the issue, and the issue is that everybody - from those with an ounce of common sense (like the writer I first cited) to a pound of journalistic credentials (like the journalist I later quoted) universally grasp the fact that IRS technology is uncontestably superior to SRA technology on any contemporary performance car, notwithstanding the "yeah, but for the money..." argument that's always trotted out, or the abilities of engineers to make an antiquated technology "adequate."
Old 8/30/06 | 02:33 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Nope and nope. For one, he is a very well-regarded Automotive journalist. He writes for the Sunday Times and the Sun. as well as Top Gear Magazine. Appearing on TV didn't make Leon Mandel any less the journalist, same for Clarkson.

Secondly, he doesn't think "anything American stinks." He lampoons the Stereotypes of American society and the American Automotive industry, but that's a popular facet of English nationalist humor, and we can hardly argue that his comments are baseless. He's a big Mustang fan, he owns a Ford GT and considered buying a GT-500KR, and has been generally supportive of what Ford money has done for PAG. Hardly the acts of a senseless America-basher.
Thank you for injecting a little balance into this discussion. I was just about to correct the person above by reminding him that Clarkson was a journalist before becoming a TV celebrity, and is still quite highly regarded, despite his propensity for polarizing theatrics.
Old 8/30/06 | 02:49 AM
Closet American

On the other hand, I challenge you to find me three articles that state the new Mustang GT has exemplary handling...

Motor Trend

The steering is tidy. Cornering prowess is inspiring: the GT powers through the slalom at better than 65 mph. Yes, the Mustang's live axle has been roundly criticized for being a blatant cost-cutting measure, but all those sniffy "Independent Rear Suspension" badges won't do other drivers much good when your GT is already leaving exhaust echoes around the next bend.

Car & Driver
Not even the most recent independent-rear-suspension SVT Cobra can match the new GT's skidpad grip, which now also surpasses a Nissan 350Z Touring's, come to think of it. Pitched hard into corners, the Mustang is initially neutral, then tends toward understeer. If the push annoys you, just stab the throttle and you can induce power oversteer. Neutral, understeer, oversteer. Quite a smorgasbord. And the tail-happiness now materializes more gently, rather than in one heart-stopping twitch. Throughout, extraneous body movements are nicely damped....

In fact, every C/D tester peered at least once under our GT's rump to ensure there weren't a couple of pricey half-shafts whizzing around in there.

Edmunds
The latest Mustang uses an all-new MacPherson strut front suspension design combined with performance-tuned rack and pinion steering. The setup provides absolutely stellar driving dynamics, while the large front and rear anti-sway bars tame body roll to an absolute minimum. We were skeptical about Ford's use of a solid "live" axle out back rather than developing a more advanced independent rear suspension setup, but the reality is that most would-be buyers don't want to pay for all that extra technology. And when one balances the '05 Mustang's low cost and excellent ride and handling ability with the lack of cutting-edge technology, it appears that Ford made the right decision.
Well, I'd hardly call the aforementioned praise "exemplary"; more like "for an SRA this is surprisingly effective." It's a bit of a backhanded compliment when you read between the lines, or read a few of the other notable/questionable quotes from those articles that you left out >>

CAR and DRIVER >>
It's hard to attain roll stiffness and still keep the tires in constant contact with the pavement using this time-honored (read "neolithic") technique.
In other words, SRAs are an antiquated technology.

EDMUNDS >>
The overall design and build quality of the interior are outstanding... Going into tight corners, the Mustang hunkers down and exhibits the slightest hint of oversteer, a refreshing improvement over the understeer-prone '04 model.
The above remarks are erroneous and contradictory, respectively. The build quality of the interior is hardly "outstanding." And most journalists are claiming that the car is prone to understeer, NOT oversteer. In fact, the whole Edmund's article is a little TOO gushing with praise, calling into question its impartiality.

All that said, you provided three reasonably positive reviews regarding the SRA, and I thank you for that.

I guess TomServo92 was too lazy to dig them out.
Old 8/30/06 | 05:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The "fact," according to you. You love your obfuscations, don't you? For what was I busted, exactly? (In order to be "busted," one has to have done something wrong.) For quoting someone who is clearly capable of differentiating the handling dynamics of various automobiles? How exactly is this guy's credibility any less than, oh, say YOURS?

Let's stick to the issue, and the issue is that everybody - from those with an ounce of common sense (like the writer I first cited) to a pound of journalistic credentials (like the journalist I later quoted) universally grasp the fact that IRS technology is uncontestably superior to SRA technology on any contemporary performance car, notwithstanding the "yeah, but for the money..." argument that's always trotted out, or the abilities of engineers to make an antiquated technology "adequate."
I never expounded on the handling characteristics of the Mustang nor did I quote someone who did so my credibility isn't an issue in that regard. I merely commented on an observation made by someone else which, whether you want to admit it or not, made you look silly. Of course, in your typical modus operandi, you deflect it by bringing my credibility into question.

Like I said, I don't really want to argue the handling issue because I agree that the IRS is better. Surprised I actually agree with you on something?
Old 8/30/06 | 05:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I guess TomServo92 was too lazy to dig them out.
Obviously reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. Let me repeat it again:

I agree on the IRS!

Got it this time or do I need to use smaller words?
Old 8/30/06 | 02:26 PM
Closet American

I never expounded on the handling characteristics of the Mustang nor did I quote someone who did so my credibility isn't an issue in that regard. I merely commented on an observation made by someone else which, whether you want to admit it or not, made you look silly. Of course, in your typical modus operandi, you deflect it by bringing my credibility into question.
Sophistry.

Like I said, I don't really want to argue the handling issue because I agree that the IRS is better. Surprised I actually agree with you on something?
Not surprised at all, actually. Of course you should agree with me on this - I'm right. But it's interesting that you feel the need to point out an instance of agreement as a cause for surprise - almost as though being disagreeable with me on a regular basis is a favorite passtime for you.

Old 8/30/06 | 02:29 PM
Closet American

Obviously reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.
Old 8/30/06 | 02:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Sophistry.
Nope. That was straight-forward reasoning. I (and most likely few others) had a chuckle at your expense and you didn't like it. Just remember BC, we're not laughing at, we're laughing with you!

Not surprised at all, actually. Of course you should agree with me on this - I'm right. But it's interesting that you feel the need to point out an instance of agreement as a cause for surprise - almost as though being disagreeable with me on a regular basis is a favorite passtime for you.

You're right so seldom, I feel the need to point it out whenever I can. It's part of my good-natured personality to bolster the self-esteem of those in need of it.
Old 8/30/06 | 03:29 PM
Closet American

Nope. That was straight-forward reasoning. I (and most likely few others) had a chuckle at your expense and you didn't like it. Just remember BC, we're not laughing at, we're laughing with you!

You're right so seldom, I feel the need to point it out whenever I can. It's part of my good-natured personality to bolster the self-esteem of those in need of it.

Ahhhhh, Tom, Tom, Tom...time for a little introspection, wouldn't you say? If you want to discuss "bolstering self-esteem," let's talk about your need to bolster your own by kicking off this little tirade with an "owned" emoticon—one clearly designed to lure me (successfully, I might add) into a debate with you so that you can test yourself against a superior intellect.

That's the REAL core of this whole debate.

Back to you, Mr. "Reading Comprehension." I patiently await your next obfuscation...

Old 8/30/06 | 05:32 PM
Cobra Member

I should have expounded. He's most famous for his TV work and writes opinion columns, which I don't consider journalism. I consider journalism to be the accurate, fair, balanced, and fact-based reporting of news, which is the exact opposite of what he does.

Jay Leno writes columns for Popular Mechanics and the UK's Channel4 website, does that make him any less of a TV personality?

Secondly, he doesn't think "anything American stinks."
Yes, he does. He always has something bad to say about anything American.

He lampoons the Stereotypes of American society and the American Automotive industry, but that's a popular facet of English nationalist humor, and we can hardly argue that his comments are baseless.
"Lampoons" huh? If I "lampooned" the British on this forum the way Clarkson "lampoons" America, my posts would be deleted and I would be warned by a flamingly zealous moderator. If I constantly did it like he does, I'd be banned.

He's a big Mustang fan,
Well I guess he's not totally evil....
he owns a Ford GT and considered buying a GT-500KR, and has been generally supportive of what Ford money has done for PAG. Hardly the acts of a senseless America-basher.
That really doesn't prove he's not a "sensless America basher". I've known people who love Japanese imports but have the highest contempt for Japanese/Asian people in general. But this "article" he wrote is America bashing at its worst.
Old 8/30/06 | 05:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ahhhhh, Tom, Tom, Tom...time for a little introspection, wouldn't you say? If you want to discuss "bolstering self-esteem," let's talk about your need to bolster your own by kicking off this little tirade with an "owned" emoticon—one clearly designed to lure me (successfully, I might add) into a debate with you so that you can test yourself against a superior intellect.

That's the REAL core of this whole debate.

Back to you, Mr. "Reading Comprehension." I patiently await your next obfuscation...

The "owned" emoticon was meant to be funny. The fact that it "lured" you in is a product of your ego and not any ulterior motive on my part.

While I find our little verbal sparring matches exhilarating, they aren't for the benefit of my self-esteem (which is quite healthy BTW). While they lack any real challenge, they do help to keep my wit sharp. Perhaps after a few years of sparring with me, you might actually be able offer a legitimate challenge instead of being an amusing little diversion to entertain me in my spare time.

BTW, you need to pay another visit to Dictionary.com and find a new buzz-word. You've pretty much worn "obfuscation" out!
Old 8/30/06 | 06:47 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Just reading you two going at it has risen my IQ and my vocabulary

I always look forwards to your spats
Old 8/30/06 | 06:48 PM
Closet American

Perhaps after a few years of sparring with me, you might actually be able offer a legitimate challenge instead of being an amusing little diversion to entertain me in my spare time.
Thanks for proving my point for me.

BTW, you need to pay another visit to Dictionary.com and find a new buzz-word. You've pretty much worn "obfuscation" out!
And thank you for serving up that red herring for us. It was delicious. You keep on trying over there, though. Law of averages says that one day you're bound to get it right.
Old 8/30/06 | 06:53 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
I should have expounded. He's most famous for his TV work and writes opinion columns, which I don't consider journalism. I consider journalism to be the accurate, fair, balanced, and fact-based reporting of news, which is the exact opposite of what he does.

He always has something bad to say about anything American.
Let's be altogether fair here for a moment. Clarkson also CONSTANTLY rags on his own British-made automakers and English society in general. He's also derided Japanese, French and, yes, even German cars.

About the only automotive culture I haven't heard him disparage are the Italians.

Given the current state of the American auto industry, we're a fair target for someone with his acerbic wit.
Old 8/30/06 | 06:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for proving my point for me.
Well, someone needs to do it since you seem incapable!

Thank you for serving up that red herring for us. It was delicious. You keep on trying over there, though. Law of averages says that one day you're bound to get it right.
I notice you didn't use "obfuscation". I think that might have been some you "crow" you ate not red herring.
Old 8/30/06 | 07:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by thezeppelin8
Just reading you two going at it has risen my IQ and my vocabulary

I always look forwards to your spats
Thanks! We'll be here all week!
Old 8/30/06 | 07:01 PM
Closet American

Well, someone needs to do it since you seem incapable!
So you're admitting to proving my point for me, then? I think someone's really slipping up over there!

I notice you didn't use "obfuscation". I think that might have been some you "crow" you ate not red herring.
"Some you crow"?

So since you don't like - or can't comprehend - the word obfuscate (since you keep referencing it like you don't understand it), try this one: paralogisms, of which you continue to remain obsessively fond.

Quick Reply: Camaro, Shelby Gt and MKS will see production