Camaro, Shelby Gt and MKS will see production

Search this Thread

Old 8/26/06, 10:28 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camaro, Shelby Gt and MKS will see production

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...t_lincoln_mks/

This is the part that I hated about this article

As a slap in the Ford Mustang's face, the Camaro will feature independent rear suspension.
WTF. Is this mag biased with GM, or what
Old 8/26/06, 10:36 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
They are pretty much all in bed with GM...
Old 8/26/06, 01:15 PM
I'm people, and I like.

I can't wait to see how the Camaro and Lincoln will look once in production!
Old 8/26/06, 11:15 PM
V6 Member

I don't really think that the independant rear suspension is a slap in the face, it just shows that GM is already starting to make the same mistakes that caused the initial downfall of the Camaro in the first place. I think that the Camaro is going to again become too costly for its own good, or worth.
Old 8/26/06, 11:49 PM
I'm people, and I like.

We've yet to see the price of the 'maro, but all reports say that they will be comparable with the stang... if true, than THAT would be a "slap" in the face, along with the reported higher HP. But will it show in the sales numbers? most likely not. The Mustang still kills with the looks.

BUT it may not be a "slap" because the Mustang redesign may just blow the 'maro out of the map (I'm hoping for some really great stuff).

And I am pretty sure that IRS is possible without boosting the price to a level no one can handle.
For example, the Mazda3 5-door has the same great suspension that the eurofocus has, and the Mazda starts at 17,000.
Old 8/27/06, 01:14 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by 64&94Stangs
I don't really think that the independant rear suspension is a slap in the face, it just shows that GM is already starting to make the same mistakes that caused the initial downfall of the Camaro in the first place. I think that the Camaro is going to again become too costly for its own good, or worth.
It's not entirely certain it'll cost more. Remember that GM pushed the Corvette for years at a cut rate, sacrificing quality and income to allow it to undercut Viper and the foreign competition. It's possible they'll try this with Camaro, at their peril. Lutz may be all about designing cars, but he's not great with spreadsheets. GM's hoping all the money he spends on these new models like Camaro will translate into gaining market share. But if he fails to do this, bye bye GM.
Old 8/27/06, 09:26 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
It seems to me that most auto rags consider it thier sacred duty to demand that every vehicle conform to what they consider state of the art, or at least some sort of minimum level of complexity, otherwise they deride the vehicle when it doesn't meet that standard. As if thier opinion should matter beyond something more than an unbiased technical examination of the subject at hand.
Old 8/28/06, 06:39 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 64&94Stangs
I don't really think that the independant rear suspension is a slap in the face, it just shows that GM is already starting to make the same mistakes that caused the initial downfall of the Camaro in the first place.
Yeah, them IRS suspensions is gonna sink GM.

Old 8/28/06, 06:41 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Old 8/28/06, 07:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Theyre building the Camaros here in Oshawa. Might make an interesting summer job. I wonder if they hire temps.
Old 8/28/06, 09:04 PM
GT Member

Mustang will be redesigned, hopefully with like a..i dunno..350 hp 4.6 or a hipo 4.4.

The MKS..I dont know anymore. Although, that TT DURATEC 35 3.5 is lookin' sweet....mmmm...300+hp in an AWD Sedan.

The Camaro..well, it's pretty simple how it's gonna go.

GM will put in it's standard, Lo-Po 3.8 V6 at the bottom.
6.0l V8 as a Z28
7.0l V8 as the SS..if they know what they're doing.

I don't think that a Z28 with exhaust, and a CAI will pass as an SS. Especially with the GT500 on our side. 12.25..beat that, GM.

On the Mustang vs Camaro thing, and the IRS..

The GT handles **** well with it's SRA. So, bring on the IRS.

And, if the Mustang is outgunned, it has something the Camaro doesent. Popularity among everyone. Die-Hard enthusiasts, and high school kids suckling from their parent's wallet.
Old 8/28/06, 11:36 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by 05MustangFanII
The GT handles **** well with it's SRA. So, bring on the IRS.
Not that well >> http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1981

To determine whether the Mustang GT convertible is a sharply focused sports car or a floaty-drifty boulevard cruiser, I took her across Decker Canyon. The twisting two-laner serves up nine tortured miles of sheer drops, 100-degree turns and constant elevation changes. With the Mustang’s traction control switched to off, I quickly realized I was driving a pig. Understeer rode shotgun. The brakes faded faster than our government’s excuses for invading Iraq. The GT has so much low-end torque (320 lbs at 4500rpm) that powering out of a corner quickly leads to squealing, smoking, pants-****ting oversteer. Wild stuff, but the GT’s shoddy brakes and ancient suspension make it about as safe as condom-less group sex.
Old 8/29/06, 10:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

In the comments below the review -

Jonny Lieberman:
August 8th, 2006 at 1:54 pm
mdanda:
I do not own this car.
Neither does anyone I am related to.
Yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Jonny Lieberman:
August 8th, 2006 at 2:08 pm
Sajeev,
I’m going to probably anger LOTS of people here, but… I like it how it is.
For the pure joy of cruising, nothing beats it.
By a Corvette if you need the handling.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Jonny Lieberman:
August 8th, 2006 at 2:13 pm
rohman:
I guess I wasn’t clear enough in my driving impression — I love the Mustang Convertible. Decker, the road I took it on, is insane. I believe it is the most dangerous road in California in terms of deaths per mile. The only cars I’ve ever had handle it are my various WRXs and the Boxster (which was stellar).
But neither of those cars scream “ROAD TRIP!†the way the Mustang does.
I am going to force my mother to buy one (It’s between this, a Sebring and the Caddy XLR), and well… while the Prius might be a “vision†of the future, I’ll take the headless Stang everytime, thank you very much
Old 8/29/06, 05:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Hah, what give the clown that wrote this "article" you are referring to any credibility when it comes to judging a car's handling?
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?page_id=1580
Jonny Lieberman

Jonny Lieberman is a Los Angeles-based writer and award-winning home brewer. After receiving a liberal arts degree from Sonoma State University, Lieberman rode the dotcom boom from San Francisco to New York City as a technical trainer and software consultant. When the boom went bust, he returned to LA to partner the now defunct DiannePruesse gallery in Chinatown. Lieberman caught the car writing bug when Portland's "Too Much Coffee Man" magazine asked him to explain the Japanese tuner craze.
Email: jonny.lieberman@thetruthaboutcars.com
Ooh! his automotive credentials are so outstanding. Home brewing, a liberal arts degree, and riding the dotcom boom puts him right up there with Brock Yates

Most people on this forum have better "cred" than that...

That article is worthless.
Old 8/29/06, 06:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Vermillion06
Hah, what give the clown that wrote this "article" you are referring to any credibility when it comes to judging a car's handling?
Ooh! his automotive credentials are so outstanding. Home brewing, a liberal arts degree, and riding the dotcom boom puts him right up there with Brock Yates

Most people on this forum have better "cred" than that...

That article is worthless.
Old 8/29/06, 06:56 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Hey!
I have a liberal studies degree!

no, seriously, I do
Old 8/29/06, 06:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by thezeppelin8
Hey!
I have a liberal studies degree!

no, seriously, I do
That explains much....

Old 8/29/06, 07:00 PM
I'm people, and I like.

I walked into that one

Hey, at least I have credentials to write a car review.
Old 8/29/06, 09:06 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by TomServo92
Not today, I fear. But nice try anyway.

I'll leave it to you to figure out which "famous" journalist said THIS (a quote that typically represents what automotive journalists think about the SRA) >>

Its brakes were cooked by turn six; the final slow corner completely overwhelmed the live rear axle; and through the fearsome Corkscrew, which twists down a gradient so steep you can’t even walk up it, I’m afraid Mr Ed was about as pin sharp as a punt gun. I **** nearly soiled myself.

On the other hand, I challenge you to find me three articles that state the new Mustang GT has exemplary handling...
Old 8/29/06, 10:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Not today, I fear. But nice try anyway.
Since we're playing "guess the quotation", what famous author said this:

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.
The fact is you got busted quoting someone with zero credibility but lack the courage to admit it.

As for your quote, I don't really care. I don't really want to argue the "SRA" issue. In fact, I'd prefer an IRS as well and sincerely hope the next gen Mustang has one.

Quick Reply: Camaro, Shelby Gt and MKS will see production