General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Camaro out sells Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/11, 12:19 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camaro out sells Mustang

Check this out. Certainly doesn't seem to be the case around here. Complete opposite ....

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...6169874%2F1492
Old 6/17/11, 01:05 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Interesting, back when Mustang was "underpowered" (4.0 and 4.6) it was outselling Camaro. Now when Mustang is really the best car overall Camaro is a better seller.
Old 6/17/11, 05:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One model, people are still missing the big picture, or ignoring it.
Originally Posted by fdjizm

Ford Motor Company: Down 0.1%, 192,102 units sold
General Motors: Down 1.2%, 221,192 Units Sold

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...11/Jun/gmsales
Old 6/17/11, 07:09 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep in mind that the Camaro has a lot of built up demand since it was away for so many years.

It's like the 350Z... when it came to market in 2003 after no Z's in America since 1996 it sold like crazy.

The Mustang really isn't "fresh." Aside from the body updates, new engine, and some other tweaks mostly under the covers it's the same car since 2005. I feel like the next generation is going to be big and will likely be a sales winner for Ford.
Old 6/17/11, 09:55 AM
Bullitt Member

I am a GM guy and was looking forward to the new Camaro. I was disappointed in it. It has one of the best engines around but the overall package sux and it sux even more that in order to get a V8 you have to put up with the options they want. Contrary to the report I for the first time bought a Mustang and am enjoying the fact that I got it the way I wanted it and could have had it in just about any other way too. I am completely surprised that the Camaro is outselling it, but now that I think about it I really do see a lot of Camaro's out on the road and convertibles galore. I say GM is missing the point but apparently they figured out how to sell those overpriced camaro's
Old 6/17/11, 04:11 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
Keep in mind that the Camaro has a lot of built up demand since it was away for so many years.
Yeah, but Camaro has been on the market for almost 2 years now. It's not really that new anymore.
Old 6/17/11, 06:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Must be a lot more rednecks in the US that I thought!

Just messin...
Old 6/17/11, 10:14 PM
V6 Member

I think the article has one thing right. The younger crowd seems to get into the Camaro a bit more with the Transformers plug and all. I did like the mustang in Transformers better though! I personally like the style of the Stang much better.
Old 6/18/11, 07:28 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
Yeah, but Camaro has been on the market for almost 2 years now. It's not really that new anymore.
Yeah, but it still is much fresher of a design tthan the Mustang. As far as looks go our cars have been on the market for 6 years now.
Old 6/21/11, 01:56 PM
Cobra Member

Camaro has a nice fanbase, and its making up for lost time.

From 2005-2010, Ford sold nearly 700k Mustangs in a terrible economy. Plus, the Mustang has always sold well.

What % of people are in the market to buy a new Mustang?
Old 6/21/11, 02:02 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by GTJOHN
Plus, the Mustang has always sold well.
Lately they've been pretty low, below 75,000 last year (and even lower this year). Last time sales were that low (mid 1980s) Ford wanted to kill Mustang ...
Old 6/21/11, 02:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

The new Camaro has grown on me but I wouldnt give up my 07 body for one. I have a 91 RS V8 manual, ttop and mullet and was raised on GM products.
Old 6/21/11, 02:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Red Star
Lately they've been pretty low, below 75,000 last year (and even lower this year). Last time sales were that low (mid 1980s) Ford wanted to kill Mustang ...
That's a scary thought. I never thought many cars that are gone would have it happen.
Old 6/21/11, 02:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2005GTDELUXE
The new Camaro has grown on me but I wouldnt give up my 07 body for one. I have a 91 RS V8 manual, ttop and mullet and was raised on GM products.
I agree...the Camaro's are pretty cool. Would buy a Stang, Challenger and then a Camaro given the choice though. I much prefer the older style looking cars. Ford needs to advertise the price. Most people guess my car 20,000 over msrp because their F150 cost them 50 grand,lol.
Old 6/22/11, 06:15 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not TOO worried yet...
Figured at least 3 years of sales on that side of the bridge, all things staying the same...which they won't.
Things being so fluid, wrong timing in the wake of many things can kill sales.

-It's a WAY different economy now
People don't have the same ammount of money they used to, or the jobs they used to. A lot of these cars are just toys, and before you may have had people keeping cars for 2-3 years if there was a reason to change over, but now people are keeping their cars longer, or not even being able to afford the car anymore.

-There's more competition now. Challenger doesn't put down massive numbers, but it IS there as a choice. While there ARE some that are brand loyal and would never jumb ship, there are others out there that are cross shopping all brands.

-7 year hiatus for one car is MASSIVE. Let's say the redesign came out and put up
the current numbers of say 70k a year. You're looking at potentially half a million cars! That coupled with the economy, even when the car came out, not everyone went out and could afford one or wanted to buy first year...or they were waiting for 'vert or Z28/ZL1.

-The current Mustang, for the most part, looks very similar to its predecessor. Even with the engines, is it enough of a change to change up? We may think so, but others maybe not so much. Some people may be up for the new engines, but parts of the looks may have people not buying. Keep in mind there are those that love the car and will buy it, and sometimes it takes people at least 3 years of seeing them until they get used to or have it grow on them. (this also can be said for the Camaro as well. Its so in your face, that people will be accepting of it 2-4 years into its cycle)

Any one or more of these reasons could be reasons why the numbers are the way they are...take your pick.

Last edited by Boomer; 6/22/11 at 06:19 AM.
Old 6/22/11, 01:53 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
I'm not TOO worried yet....
So what you are saying is you are at least a tiny bit worried.
Old 6/22/11, 02:38 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by burningman
So what you are saying is you are at least a tiny bit worried.
Ask me in a year or 2
Old 6/22/11, 08:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Win some loose some. My personal opinion is of the nature that when the Stang was beating the brakes off the T/A and Camaro combined they were polar opposites to the non enthusiast. You sat in the Mustang you fell into the Camaro. That gave the Mustang the edge in what counts the most, V6 sales. The New camaro is no where near as low slung as the 4th gens and hence more attractive to women and those who could care less about the performance aspect. If it were a 4th gen style car with an LS3 the performance edge would be different but I think despite the lack of refresh the stang would still outsell it based on that. Ergonomics sells more cars than 1/4 mile times. And while the 5th gen is no BMW it's leagues better than the 4th gens ergonomically and part of why I think the sales numbers flipped, but that's just my take on it .
Old 6/22/11, 08:52 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Come on 2014! When the next gen Mustang rolls out the S-197 will have been around for 10 model years.
Old 6/22/11, 09:08 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Slims00ls1z28
Win some loose some. My personal opinion is of the nature that when the Stang was beating the brakes off the T/A and Camaro combined they were polar opposites to the non enthusiast. You sat in the Mustang you fell into the Camaro. That gave the Mustang the edge in what counts the most, V6 sales. The New camaro is no where near as low slung as the 4th gens and hence more attractive to women and those who could care less about the performance aspect. If it were a 4th gen style car with an LS3 the performance edge would be different but I think despite the lack of refresh the stang would still outsell it based on that. Ergonomics sells more cars than 1/4 mile times. And while the 5th gen is no BMW it's leagues better than the 4th gens ergonomically and part of why I think the sales numbers flipped, but that's just my take on it .
Not really directing this towards you Slim.
Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not gonna go and research this. I think that mustang sales were beating camaro sales when they were still producing the New Edge stangs. Ford redesigned the stang when there was no real competition for 7 or so years. So now the camaro is back and outselling ford again. I'm thinking that maybe a lot of people may have just settled for the S197 body since there was no other real option. And just maybe a sheet metal change will do ford some good. Just one of my thoughts for the day.

Last edited by AlsCobra; 6/22/11 at 09:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Camaro out sells Mustang