General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Camaro Now Slated for 2010!?

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/06, 05:20 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, I don't think they really have any intentions of putting it into production. They're just trying to "keep the dream alive" to keep more hardcore Camaro fans from jumping ship. They just keep postponing and pushing it forward.

It looked pretty desparate a few months back when on the Cheverolet website they had this huge picture of the Camaro concept like it was a production car and all the real products in these little boxes under it.
Old 4/18/06, 08:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vermillion98 @ April 17, 2006, 5:23 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Personally, I don't think they really have any intentions of putting it into production. They're just trying to "keep the dream alive" to keep more hardcore Camaro fans from jumping ship. They just keep postponing and pushing it forward.
[/b][/quote]

I just don't understand why, if GM is in such bad financial shape, they would spend the money on a "niche" car like the Camaro. Like everyone has said, the S197 platform will be coming out with it's first redesign in 2009. Even if the Camaro looks like the auto show car that every bow tie guy seems to like, doesn't Chevy think that Ford is going to make the Mustang look that much meaner and sexier? They are basically showing Ford the cards they are holding and daring them to make the Mustang that much better...not much of a business plan, if you ask me. Maybe you're on to something here...

I would think that GM would be focusing their efforts on a mass production car....affordable, reliable and good looking, to try to beat the Camry in the domestic markets....
Old 4/19/06, 10:06 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Becuase Bob Lutz is a Putz when it comes to profit margins. He'd rather fill GM's lineup with Solstice/Skye/Camaro niche cars than build a volume sedan. For a car guy it's no bad attitude to have, but when the imports are taking your volume cars to the woodshed you have to compete. It's the same problem Nasser had in his time at Ford, good car guy but not smart enough with the money.
Old 4/19/06, 10:58 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I must say after seeing the Camaro concept in person at the Dallas Auto Show, it looks a lot better in person. The interior looks like crap, but I love the exterior (minus the side mirrors).