General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Breaking News...!

Search this Thread

Old 12/10/05, 03:13 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not really a surprise, what with all the pirated pictures of a clay model floating about the ‘net, but AutomoBear reports today confirmation that a Camaro concept car will appear in Detroit at the North American International Auto Show. Still no official word from GM, but there now seems very little doubt that Autoblog’s NAIAS team will get to feast their eyes on a new Camaro in January.

Judging by the pirate photos (yes, we’ve seen them too), the 5th-generation Camaro concept car will be strongly reminiscent of the legendary first-gen car, and I think this is a very smart move on GM’s part.

No technical details, but let’s speculate a bit. Certainly, Chevrolet has an embrassment of riches in the powertrain department, so we can expect a long list of V6 and V8 engine options, culminating in Corvette-derived high-performance versions. In the chassis department, who knows, but I think it would be a smart move to go to independent suspension all ‘round - nicely differentiating the Camaro from the live-axle Mustang.
STORY HERE
Old 12/10/05, 06:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the update BC! Although the design does not do a lot for me, I am glad to see more competition coming out.

Old 12/10/05, 08:46 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love how they say that....

'It'll differentiate itself from the Mustang and its SRA'

The mustang has an IRS already designed... the D2C chassis was originally designed for that, and it was taken out last minute....for cost saving.

The Camaro comes out in 09ish (roughly)...

Ford can drop in the IRS at the drop of a hat if they want to...
...so its better than it how?
hahah

Ok..so an 09 Camaro will have a better suspension than an 05 Mustang...well maybe.
I'd actually laugh if the 3Link SRA handles just as good as the 09 "Camaro"s

Either way... Ford knows roughly to expect, and I'm sure they'll have something to combat it.
BET on that
Old 12/10/05, 09:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Boomer@December 10, 2005, 11:49 AM
I love how they say that....

'It'll differentiate itself from the Mustang and its SRA'

The mustang has an IRS already designed... the D2C chassis was originally designed for that, and it was taken out last minute....for cost saving.

The Camaro comes out in 09ish (roughly)...

Ford can drop in the IRS at the drop of a hat if they want to...
...so its better than it how?
hahah

Ok..so an 09 Camaro will have a better suspension than an 05 Mustang...well maybe.
I'd actually laugh if the 3Link SRA handles just as good as the 09 "Camaro"s

Either way... Ford knows roughly to expect, and I'm sure they'll have something to combat it.
BET on that

Also if GM wants to compete they have to get the design right. No goof ups. But all in all competition is good.
Old 12/10/05, 10:27 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by MilStang@December 10, 2005, 7:30 AM
Thanks for the update BC! Although the design does not do a lot for me, I am glad to see more competition coming out.

I don't like the Camaro's design either but I absolutely agree, competition is a good thing. Ford had better step it up if they want to remain on top, the market is heating up in a hurry and we know both GM and DC will try to "one up" Ford to gain market share.
Old 12/10/05, 11:39 AM
I Have No Life

Absolutely...competition is great.
It keeps all of them competing for our business, which is great to have choice...

Of course, it has to come in at the right look/price
or we'll have a repeat of the 4rth Gen.

'It has to absolutely decimate the Mustang out of the box'
SO untrue...
The mustang was outpowered for years, yet still sold...
Theres a reason for that.....
NOT EVERYONE cares about power...but its there and has a potential for it...and the aftermarket to back it up.
Old 12/10/05, 12:50 PM
I Have Admin Envy

I can't wait to see what Ford has waiting in the wings

The current mustang should have a reskin right about 2009 as well. With that, they know the competition is coming, they already have the IRS setup designed for the Cobra (I know this for a fact because when I met HTT he told me they were working on it). The fact is, the design is still there, all they have to do is add it to the program.
Old 12/10/05, 01:16 PM
I Have No Life

Yeah steve,

It'll be interesting. GM has their endless supply of 'LSx' engines to choose from in the power segment...

And ford can use anything from the 4.6/5.4L engine variations.. They can both 'throwdown' if they want to.

And to add to the IRS on the D2C, I was told a long time ago that the car WAS suppose to have it, but they got told last minute to put in the SRA.

Its basically the reverse of what happened in 99.
SN-95 was designed for SRA, but an IRS got shoehorned in.
S197's chassis was designed for IRS, but got a nice 3link SRA fitted for it...
Old 12/10/05, 02:23 PM
Closet American

Most important of all, there has to a GM left in 2009 in order for there to be a Camaro.

So this may all be academic anyway.
Old 12/10/05, 05:30 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Boomer@December 10, 2005, 3:19 PM
It'll be interesting. GM has their endless supply of 'LSx' engines to choose from in the power segment...
I think the best question here is; Does Ford have an afFORDable 400hp/400 ft/lbs. engine for the GT waiting in the wings, IMO I see it like this

A. two engines and two models - V6 car with blah blah blah, or a Z28 with the 6 liter engine coming in at the same price point as the GT Mustang, but having a 100 hp and 100 ft/lbs advantage

or

B. three engines and three models - V6 car, entry V8 to compete directly with the GT and a higher level V8 car slotted in just south of a cobra (not a cobra fighter, but fitting in the price/perf gap that a Gt - Co...err Shelby has).

Personally in 09, I dont want to sit at the stoplight and look like chum for a V8 camaro. I really hated when they came out with the LT1s and Ford had no response, I hated it even more when GM came out with the LSx engines and Fords only response was the terminator, especially considering there was virtually no difference in power between the Z and SS models (sucked for the SS boys I know). Cobra Rs are nice, but only for a few people with deep pockets
Old 12/10/05, 05:45 PM
FR500 Member

Even with the wealth of engine choices available to GM, keep in mind GM's "limit" as far as the Camaro is concerned. It cannot (should not?) outperform the Corvette either in horsepower and handling terms. Of course, by the time '09 comes around who knows what the base Corvette will be rated at - probably 500 hp or so. Barring GM's (or Ford's) demise, it will be interesting to see how things turn out. As for the F-Body's historic power advantage over the Mustang, that probably explains why I liked Mustangs better - rooting for the "underdog" and all... still, Ford better step up in the power department.
Old 12/10/05, 05:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Link to Camaro pics!

2009 Camaro
Old 12/10/05, 10:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have a hard time believing that all of the supposed things going into the Camaro, will get there with a competitive price point to the Mustang GT.

They are limited by -- The Corvette of course, and, I'd say the GTO. Having a vehicle that performs better than the GTO for the GT's price point would not be reasonable.

Maybe we will see a Camaro with all of these things, 450hp maybe, IRS, 1/4 in the high 12's, low 13's stock? But with that, I'd expect a 35k price point for a Z28.