General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Brand Loyalty

Search this Thread

Old 2/17/07, 09:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand Loyalty

Hi Guys,

In my marketing class we have been talking about Brand Loyalty and just thought I'd start a discussion here on the topic.

How many of you guys have "loyalty" to a certain brand of automobile? If so, which company, and if you wish, why is that?

I personally do not have a specific "brand" loyalty, but I DO have one requirment: Any car I will purchase in my lifetime, barring becoming a millionare and buying a Ferrari or Lambo, will be AMERICAN. Although I do like Ford the best in terms of their overall models, Anything I buy will be Ford, GM, or Chrysler.

Why is this? I like the style and power that American cars have and I beleive in supporting my countries industries.

Anyway, it's late and I'm tired, buit the idea just popped into my head.

Thanks for your time,

05BlackV6
Old 2/17/07, 09:44 PM
Cam Tease

I've no sense of loyalty to any thing, person, or idea.
Old 2/17/07, 09:56 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I have brand loyalty to Ford.

For me, Chevy and Toyota are in the same group.
Old 2/17/07, 10:00 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Oldsmobile Rules!!!
I am an Olds man like some men are Baptists!!!
Wait a minute... I can't buy an Oldsmobile.
Well I used to blow off Camaros with my Plymouth.
I'll get me a Plymouth.
What!!!! No Plymouths!!!!
I am now a Ford man.
BRAND LOYALTY IS MEANINGLESS
IN THE MODERN WORLD IT IS LIKE EXPECTING A PENSION
Old 2/17/07, 10:10 PM
Bullitt Member

I see your point 100%. It is sad about those two comapnies. They died partly because they executives and desginers couldn't come up with one unique desgin for the brands. Plymouth was the greatest offender in that regard. ( - the prowler of course.)
Old 2/17/07, 10:20 PM
Cobra Member

No brand loyalty here although I am very partial to Alfa Romeo and hope my next car will be a 69-71 GTV.

You'll always find Ford or Chevy fans but I suspect that's mostly among enthusiasts. Toyota and Honda have lots of loyalists because their cars do what they're supposed to do: run reliably and inexpensively.

I have no statistics to back this up but I'll bet Porsche has a higher percentage of repeat buyers than any other brand.
Old 2/17/07, 10:43 PM
Bullitt Member

im a ford guy, love ford trucks, swear BY ford, swear AT gm and DC, i do like gm cars tho, and i think that pretty much covers it, im all american with a soft spot for the aussie fords
Old 2/18/07, 12:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

I don't have much loyalty when it comes to car brands, or pretty much anything that has a brand (cameras/lenses, rifles/ammo, cloths, stores, whatever). I'll buy the same brand again if I was pleased with the previous item of that I had, and if there isn't anything obviously better in the same price range that doesn't require me to make much more effort. If I find something better, I have no problem with getting a different brand the next time around. Like grocery stores or quicky marts. I have my favorite brands, but I won't go completely out of my way to find one if I need something soon and I'm not near one.

I have owned Dodge, Chevy, and Ford vehicles. I liked them all. To me, unless someone works in a (for instance) Ford plant, I see no reason for that person to buy a Ford just because it's a Ford. That makes sense for someone who works at Ford to buy a Ford with loyalty, they have a reason to be loyal to the Ford company, they put their heart into working there and there is no doubt you will be loyal to them. But the average person, even the average car enthusiast, I see no reason to be loyal to a car brand.

I like American cars, so that's what I buy. I like rear wheel drive, and american V8 roar. But I'm not loyal to an "American car" either, I just happen to like the way American does muscle cars. If a foreign company made a car that was similarly priced, that had rear wheel drive and a V8 that sounded like an american V8, I would have no hesitation buying one if I felt it was better than what the american big 3 had to offer. Though, I doubt the parts that make our Mustangs are all made and/or designed in the US.
Old 2/18/07, 01:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

FOrd guy all the way. Always have been always will be unless they go under. Which I don't think will happen. IF you listen to most on this board for is already belly up!!!!
Old 2/18/07, 01:53 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I grew up liking GMs, but I'm for FORD now and forever! I have nothing against chevy and chrysler. I do like both of them, but I LOVE Ford.
Old 2/18/07, 02:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a well built car is a well built car, no matter who makes it. that being said, i think i will still claim a loyalty to Ford. with the exception of the Jeep Cherokee i owned prior to the Bullitt, i have owned all Ford or Ford-based vehicles.
There are some mighty nice vehicles out there, and i can't guarantee that every vehicle i buy from now on will be a Ford product, but one thing i WILL garauntee is that every vehicle i buy from now on will be a domestic!!! (barring the lotto winning, then i'd have to acquire some exotics... )
Old 2/18/07, 05:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

No loyality to anything? No person? Must be single or divorced. Don't get a pet.
Old 2/18/07, 10:17 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by htwag
No loyality to anything? No person? Must be single or divorced. Don't get a pet.
Yea, I thought the same thing. Obviously scorned about something.
Old 2/18/07, 10:27 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm a tried and true Ford guy. I route for their race teams, I drive their vehicles, I recommend people to look at Ford products and at least consider them when they're buying a new one. I run into a surprisingly large number of people who state "Fords are a POS" yet when I push them, they have nothing to back it up. I really feel the bad press Ford has received in recent past history has hurt them very badly. Anyway, I'm quite loyal to Ford and I feel there is still the spirit of a great company lurking within its walls. I'm just doing my part to help by bringing attention to Ford's new products etc.
Old 2/18/07, 12:36 PM
V6 Member

Yeah, I have brand biases and loyaltes. We all do.
- I prefer RC to Coke, but you hardly ever see it in my fridge
- Everyone buys Tide and Charmin
- Started drinking Miller High-Life in the 70's and I still enjoy it in moderation. It's not the only beer in my life, but like the rest of the products listed, it's never done me wrong.
- Jeans. Levis, Wrangler, Gap... whatever. Guys aren't likely to go too far out there on these.
- Toothpaste. Crest or Colgate. But really only Crest.
- Tissues. Doesn't matter what brand, they're all Kleenex, right?
- Cars?
- Ford always gets a shot. Seen some bad stuff from them, but it's a family tradition. Had a '93 Taurus with a blown head gasket on the 3.8l like just about every other owner. Had an '00 Escape bought back by Ford.
Had an '04 F150 XLT SuperCab that Ford spent way too much on warranty work on. I now have an '06 XLT SuperCrew that is one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. I'd highly recommend it.
- GM - Owned them in the 80's and learned about their disloyalty to the customer the hard way.
- Chrysler? Needed a minivan and they had the best on the market. Then they lost me on irritating defects.
- Toyota - Where is my Celica? Chose the '82 GT over everything as my 1st new car purchase. Haven't seen anything as compelling since. Besides, they went price crazy and started building them for people 5'8" or shorter.
- Honda - My previous 2 new cars. I'll probably go back some day.
- BMW - Loved my Z3, but their pricing is a bit too agressive.
- Mazda - 2 Miatas, 0 problems in 10 years. 0. Zip. Nada. None. This from cars that spent an awful lot of time near redline and sliding in corners. Still one of the best cars available, but I've gotten older and need a little more room these days.

So what's the point of all that? I'm loyal to the products that do right by me. However, I can have or only need so much so the products I chose need to suit me.
Old 2/18/07, 04:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

For the most part, I like Fords. There's a good chance my next car will be a Ford as well, and if it isn't it will almost certainly be American. There are a handful of foreign cars I'd like to own (Porsche 911, BMW M3, AM Vanquish (kind of American), etc.), but the odds of me owning any of those are pretty slim. I like buying American products and happily there are currently quite a few nice American cars I'd like to own.
Old 2/18/07, 05:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I will only drive FoMoCo products, and now my wife does...she came from a GM family..her father is ****ed at me lol.

we have 4 vehicles and all are Ford or Mercury. I buy Motorcraft replacement parts and oil. I was brought home from the hospital in a Ford and grew up with them. My motto is "When they quit building the Mustang, I will stop driving!" Get the picture good enough?
Old 2/19/07, 07:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been a Ford guy ever since I was little. That is all my parents have ever owned. My dad has had 75 F150, 88 F250, 95 F250, and now a 2005 F250. All went well over 100,000 easily. They have also had several Crown Vics that have been over 100,000 miles (current 1994 CV has 61K on it). And now, there are 3 Model A's, a Model T and a 1966 Mustang coupe in the garage, so my father is extremely loyal to the Blue Oval! When I got the chance to sell cars, I went with Ford since I knew the product and also because its a brand my family has been buying for a LONG time. Plus if I were to sell Chevy's I may have gotten disowned, lol. Anyhow, short of winning the lottery (to buy a Lamborghini, and a Koenigsegg), the cars I buy will only be american with a Blue Oval on the grill. I will never purchase a japanese vehicle as long as I am alive. American cars for me with the Blue Oval on the grill.
Old 2/20/07, 03:59 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Error404
I don't have much loyalty when it comes to car brands, or pretty much anything that has a brand (cameras/lenses, rifles/ammo, cloths, stores, whatever).
Well, while I'll agree with you on cars, department stores and soap, one MUST have brand loyalty when it comes to camera equipment.

It's gotta be Nikon all the way, baby!

OK, OK, Canon in a pinch.
Old 2/20/07, 04:06 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
Anyway, I'm quite loyal to Ford and I feel there is still the spirit of a great company lurking within its walls. I'm just doing my part to help by bringing attention to Ford's new products etc.
I agree with you, 97svtgoin05gt. The problem Ford faces, as I understand it, is not with Ford's design and engineering expertise, it is with upper management; those dufuses who are more concerned about politics and protecting their own little fiefdoms within the company - and make all their decisions based upon consumer focus groups and cost-cutting and marketing hyperbole - as opposed to focusing on a design and engineering-led turnaround.

Personally, I think Mulally needs to give upper management at Ford an enema. It's those guys who will sink the company.

Quick Reply: Brand Loyalty