General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Autotrader.com or Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 5/24/06, 02:28 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autotrader.com or Ebay

I've never sold a car on Autotrader or Ebay before. I plan on selling my car via one of those methods soon. Which one do you think is a better avenue for selling a 2005 Mustang? Anybody have any good or bad experiences with either one?
Old 5/24/06, 03:00 PM
V6 Member

I sold my previous car on Autotrader. It was very easy, and well worth the the minimal cost. I started off by only putting an ad in the major area newspaper. But for 2 weeks, I didn't get a bite. Put the car up on Autotrader, and within 3 days, I had 5 or 6 people calling me wanting to come look at the car.

The only down-side of using an online service like this is the scam attempts that you're bound to get. There are many people out there that will try to scam you out of money. Watch out for fraudulent emails if you put your car up on a website like ebay or Autotrader.
Old 5/24/06, 04:41 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm about to put my '02 GT up for sale and I've been considering both ebay and autotrader too. I've been monitoring ebay sales for several weeks now on cars similar to mine and I've noticed that many are getting bid up very high, and also that some people end up having to relist the cars because people don't follow through with completing the sale. My personal opinion is that you're better off with Autotrader because of the local advertising slant - I think anyone who's going to buy a car is going to want to see it, touch it, and drive it....and i think your chances of finding that type of a buyer is better with Autotrader than ebay. Plus, ebay has some pretty hefty listing and final value fees; from what I've seen of Autotrader, you can pay one price and they'll allow you to keep relisting the vehicle until it sells.
Old 5/24/06, 04:47 PM
GT Member

I think Ebay charges $40 to list it and then another $40 if it sells. I believe you can get a premium listing on Autotrader.com for $55 and the ad stays there until the car sells. I was surprised that Ebay cars weren't selling for a little more. The bad thing about Autotrader is you can't see what the cars are selling for, only what they are listed at.
Old 5/25/06, 08:35 AM
GT Member

Autotrader Experience (first post too!)

Yes, I am a lurker....but I have had direct experience with Autotrader:

I sold 2 cars last year on Autotrader and Autotrader's Antique Car site and had a good experience both times...with some exceptions.

Sold a '94 Z28 (yes, I know...I am coming over from the dark side) to a guy who was not local...I had reservations about his check..so I told him that I would have to wait until it cleared before I released the car...which it did. He sent a transport for it. Here are the key points
1) I prefer local and cash only...for reasons listed below.
2) I made an exception with this guy...but told him that he was going to have to take the risk of sending me a check before he got the car...a car which he had only seen a photo of.
3) Even though I waited till his check cleared...be aware that if you submit a "bad" check to a bank..even if it was not your bad check, but only one that someone had given to you...that the bank may cash it and give you the cash..but that in a "period" of time, if they determine that the check is bad..that they will come back to you and demand the money back. In other words, there was the chance that I could cash this check, wait till it clears, sell this guy my car, and then a week later the bank could come back and demand the money...and I would be out of a car. The only way to avoid this risk is to sell only to local buyers with cash in hand.

Then I sold a 1972 Caddy Sedan Deville...472 4 barrel...19 Feet Long!....I miss that car...but I didn't want to sink more money into it if I was going to commit to buying this Mustang.

Anyway..I recieved a scammer first off! He said he represented a client who wanted to transport the car...but wanted me to accept overpayment of my asking price to cover the cost of transport. BEWARE THIS TACTIC...THIS IS A SCAM. The idea is that you accept the check for the amount over your asking price to cover shipping..and that you send the excess $ to the shipper. The check is bad...so you end up sending someone cash...and then the bank comes back and says, "Hey, this check is bad" and takes back their money....most times, they don't even try to get your car....but sometimes they even go to the trouble of doing that so that you are out the money, and the car. Look for these signs
1) They don't negotiate on the price..they accept it right off the bat.
2) The want to send you a check for more $ than you asked for.
3) They say the $ is for shipping the car...many times overseas.
4) The only way to avoid this scam is to sell the car with CASH ONLY.

I finally sold it to a guy locally, cash in hand.

That is my 2 cents. So here I am...waiting for pricing to drop the order on the '07 and praying that the '94 Mazda 626 I picked up from my brother in law last until my baby comes in!
Old 5/25/06, 07:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not a lurker and I like Autotrader way better tan ebay
Old 5/25/06, 07:04 PM
Bullitt Member

I bought the car I saw on autotrader.
Old 5/25/06, 07:30 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
WELCOME KEEPER.
I sold a land yatch (Olds with a 455) to make room for my Stang.
Sold it on E-Bay through a broker. The first buyer gave a song and dance the next day about losing his job. The real buyer drove across country with cash in his pocket.