General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Any L.E.O.'s with a V-6 Charger in here?

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/08, 01:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, I finally got the Charger back. Voltage regulator or something went out which is why everything kept shutting off and the lights were going crazy. Besides the siren fuse that keeps popping it has been okay for the last couple days.

I haven't had a chence to get in the Hemi Charger yet. The traffic folks have been busy lately. I'll let ya know when I try one out.
Old 1/7/08, 08:14 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love mine. Simple as that.

I haven't experienced any of the problems you speak of. Keep in mind, some of those problems seem to related to things added to the car by your department. I.E.- electronics, cage etc.

I haven't had a problem with our electronic equipment and our cage is perfect. This is the first patrol car I've had with a cage in it that I actually moved the seat forward a little because there's so much leg room. I'm pretty long legged and I never have enough room in a vic. And it even has a little more room for prisoners. The first guy I arrested said "Hey, I like this, there's more room back here."

I agree on the trunk space as it's severely lacking.

Handling is about twice as good as the vic and with the hemi, it blows the vic out of the water.
Old 1/7/08, 10:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to hear the Hemi Charger is a winner! Now if only we could get Ford to drop the 3V 4.6 in the Vic to compete a little....
Old 1/8/08, 04:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

As of last Saturday, the Charger is no longer my beat car. We had a department wide sign up and realignment of beats since we added a new Division to our department and I moved to another beat so I'm back in a Crown Vic.

I will miss the stereo the most I think. But, like I have said before if the Charger was a Hemi instead of a V-6 I could live with the shortcomings (room side to side was very tight for me). It handled great and was rock solid at speed but, the V-6 just does not cut it for me. The gear shift was awkward and slow to shift from drive to reverse or back to drive.
Old 1/9/08, 07:41 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Treadhead
I will miss the stereo the most I think. But, like I have said before if the Charger was a Hemi instead of a V-6 I could live with the shortcomings (room side to side was very tight for me). It handled great and was rock solid at speed but, the V-6 just does not cut it for me. The gear shift was awkward and slow to shift from drive to reverse or back to drive.
Yep, stereo system in the charger is great. And I agree, the quick turn around is severely limited by the hesitation between shifts. I don't like it, but with the hemi, it catches up fast enough to make up for it. I couldn't imagine it with the V6.
Old 1/9/08, 04:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

I still don't know what they were thinking. Granted it has a good top end but, there is so little grunt on the bottom I feel like I could get out and run faster. The brake squeal is an ungodly ear piercing screech. You couldn't sneak up on a deaf person with those things!
Old 1/10/08, 10:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Treadhead
As of last Saturday, the Charger is no longer my beat car. We had a department wide sign up and realignment of beats since we added a new Division to our department and I moved to another beat so I'm back in a Crown Vic..

Curses!!! They reassigned the beat cars again and guess who has the Charger again?!
I wonder if anyone would notice if I put the patrol car stickers on a Traffic units' Hemi Charger?
Old 2/29/08, 08:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Finally got some good news! Our Captain came to our roll call last week and told us that our new patrol cars have been ordered and they are all Crown Vics. No Chargers!
He said the Chargers were not very well received by the troops (Duh!). I guess someone was actually listening to us which is amazing. I'm guessing the new cars should be here around June, July or August.

The siren, air horn and PA still keeps going out on my Charger. No one knows why.
Old 3/1/08, 08:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good deal! I think that if we ever have to do without our prized Crown Vic's, our dept. is going with the Hemi Chargers. I can't decide if that is a good thing or not though.
Old 3/1/08, 11:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

If mine had a Hemi I could deal with the little stuff.
Old 3/3/08, 03:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

More junky Charger news.

Another Officer blew it up chasing a Mustang!
I don't know if it's terminal or not though. I was told it was steaming and had fluids pouring out underneath and didn't sound too good.
Old 3/3/08, 04:43 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Did he put a bullet in it? Lol
Old 3/5/08, 04:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Did he put a bullet in it? Lol
Haha, I hope so!