2015 SRT Barracuda

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/12, 12:10 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I'm not seeing the resemblance.
Remember how Pontiac GTO (a.k.a. Holden Monaro) failed in the USA?
Old 9/22/12, 12:14 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Zastava_101
How would that be possible? Plymouth was discontinued back in 2001 ...
Chrysler recently made SRT its own brand like they did Ram. I could see it being labelled SRT Cuda.
Old 9/22/12, 12:16 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
And that Alfa you've posted is a small, mid-engined 2-seater. Can't see it being based on that. Not unless it's a very flexible platform.
From what I've read, Alfa is planing to sell only 2,500 4Cs per year.

So I doubt that they built a whole new RWD platform just for 4C. I don't see them building another RWD platform just for Barracuda and few similar cars, its just not cost effective.
Old 9/22/12, 12:24 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Alfa are supposed to be sharing the 4c platform with Maserati.......and Maserati are also working on a smaller (RWD) saloon to sit under the QP. A version of that would be ideal to share between Alfa (159/166 replacement) and with Chrysler for next-gen 300/Charger/Cuda etc. That's just wishful thinking on my part though.
Old 9/22/12, 12:29 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Remember how Pontiac GTO (a.k.a. Holden Monaro) failed in the USA?
The GTO failed due to a very bland looking body. America wasn't ready for it. They are actually more desired now than ever before. GM failed, not pontiac or the GTO. The SS is on its way also and I'm excited about it.
Old 9/22/12, 12:31 PM
Post *****

The GTO failed due to a very bland looking body. America wasn't ready for it. They are actually more desired now than ever before. GM failed, not pontiac or the GTO. The SS is on its way also and I'm excited about it.
Pontiac lost their styling ability years ago. Those last few trans am hood's were awful.
Old 9/22/12, 12:33 PM

From what I've read, Alfa is planing to sell only 2,500 4Cs per year.

So I doubt that they built a whole new RWD platform just for 4C. I don't see them building another RWD platform just for Barracuda and few similar cars, its just not cost effective.
Why not? There was the prowler, crossfire, challenger. If it looks anything like the rendering, I might just be in the market myself. Chrysler will do whatever they can to sell units.
Old 9/22/12, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco

Pontiac lost their styling ability years ago. Those last few trans am hood's were awful.
Yes they were but I can't say any better hoods are coming from Shelby.
Old 9/22/12, 12:40 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

GTO failed because it was a wrong name for a car. If they sold it as ... Pontiac Monaro, I'm sure it would've sold in much higher numbers.
Old 9/22/12, 12:42 PM
Post *****

GTO failed because it was a wrong name for a car. If they sold it as ... Pontiac Monaro, I'm sure it would've sold in much higher numbers.
Well it was certainly the wrong name for that car. Maybe they thought they'd be able to pull off a family sedan since Charger was having some success as a 4 door.

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/22/12 at 12:44 PM.
Old 9/22/12, 12:45 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Chrysler will do whatever they can to sell units.
Not really. Chrysler almost went out of business recently and they're more careful now with money than ever before.
And they're not gonna spend all that money on developing a new platform unless multiple models can use it. Otherwise, its just not cost effective.
Old 9/22/12, 12:45 PM

Just the opposite brother. The only reason it sold is because of the loyalty and respect people had for the GTO name plate. And yes many were disappointed when they finally saw it in person. You really don't understand American car enthusiasts. It doesn't always have to be logical.
Old 9/22/12, 12:52 PM

Not really. Chrysler almost went out of business recently and they're more careful now with money than ever before.
And they're not gonna spend all that money on developing a new platform unless multiple models can use it. Otherwise, its just not cost effective.
I worked for Chrysler. They have never been careful. And I completely commend them for the size of their *****. Innovative and cutting edge. The challenger for instance is such a home run and I smile every time I see one on the road. Chrysler has reliability and engineering issues. Always have. Cutting edge but not properly tested.
Old 9/22/12, 01:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cntchds
I feel like using a nameplate like that and not going with a retro design is a mistake. There is no reason they couldn't call that something else that doesn't tie in with a car it has no similarities to.
Sounds like the 04-06 GTO lol, that was in no way a true goat but it was still a **** nice car.
Old 9/22/12, 01:10 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I worked for Chrysler. They have never been careful.
And that's why they've been in a danger of going down multiple times over the past 40 years.

Also, they have never been owned by Italians before ... They can't spend their money anymore the way they would want to, Fiat's the boss now.

The challenger for instance is such a home run and I smile every time I see one on the road. Chrysler has reliability and engineering issues. Always have. Cutting edge but not properly tested.
Challenger wasn't a risky move at all, it was pretty much what was expected after the success of retro Mustang and Chevy giving Camaro a green-light.
Old 9/22/12, 01:12 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Just the opposite brother. The only reason it sold is because of the loyalty and respect people had for the GTO name plate. And yes many were disappointed when they finally saw it in person. You really don't understand American car enthusiasts. It doesn't always have to be logical.
There were many more of those who did not buy GTO because it wasn't retro than those who bought it because of the name.
Old 9/22/12, 01:25 PM

I sorry to disagree with every aspect of your thinking but I truly believe you are completely backwards in your assumptions. And the fact that I am in car enthusiast central and you are well "not" leads me to believe that my opinions are closer to target.
I really enjoy debating you because you are an enthusiast that I almost never agree with.
Old 9/22/12, 01:30 PM
Calgon Take Me Away!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I worked for Chrysler. They have never been careful. And I completely commend them for the size of their *****. Innovative and cutting edge. The challenger for instance is such a home run and I smile every time I see one on the road. Chrysler has reliability and engineering issues. Always have. Cutting edge but not properly tested.
I LOVE the Challenger. I think it was risky and they could have really messed it up but they didn't. Although bulkier and bigger than the Camaro, I like it better. Oh, and slower..:. But that's ok.

One thing I found weird was that they made the Charger into a four door sedan? So not dukes of hazzard badass anymore! Although, it's not an ugly car.
Old 9/22/12, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by lalayla

I LOVE the Challenger. I think it was risky and they could have really messed it up but they didn't.

One thing I found weird was that they made the Charger into a four door sedan? So not dukes of hazzard badass anymore! Although, it's not an ugly car.
Nope. A two door version would be kinda cool though. A lot of people nowadays don't look for cool anymore. They don't want to fold a seat down to get in the back. Just sorry lazy not cool Americans. Usually Yankees. And west coasters.
Old 9/22/12, 01:36 PM
Calgon Take Me Away!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope. A two door version would be kinda cool though. A lot of people nowadays don't look for cool anymore. They don't want to fold a seat down to get in the back. Just sorry lazy not cool Americans. Usually Yankees. And west coasters.
I agree. A two door would be awesome
They are good looking cars.

And I like cool, dammit!

Quick Reply: 2015 SRT Barracuda