General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

2005 Roush Ford F-150 Tejon

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/04, 08:06 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want a full-size pick-up that hauls something more than sheets of plywood, you'll want to know about the Roush F-150 Tejon - aka the "Big Texan." It's sort of like a 4x4 version of a Roush-modifed Mustang GT, only bigger and meaner.

Jack Roush is a race car driver who got into aftermarket "tuning" (among other things), now working closely with Ford to soup up production vehicles like the Mustang and lately, the redesigned F-Series pickup. Roush-massaged vehicles are ordered new and shipped to participating Ford dealers, so the Roush package of high-performance upgrades is almost a factory option, with the main difference being that the parts are not added on the Ford assembly line, and each vehicle can be custom-tailored with the owner's specific ensemble of improvements.

The F-150 Tejon, for instance, comes in three basic configurations: the standard Tejon, Stage 1, and Stage 2. The Tejon begins with a stock F-150 (any bed or cab style) and adds a 20-inch chrome wheel/tire package, threatening-looking hood scoop, rumbly dual exhaust (worth 10 hp over stock, according to Roush) and high-visibility "Tejon" bed graphics. Billet gas and brake pedals, a modified instrument panel gauge cluster and special "signature series" Roush performance sport buckets are among the available add-ons.

Stage 1 takes the Tejon to the next level with a lowered, performance-tuned suspension package (in addition to the 20-inch rims that comes on the Tejon) and an "in the weeds" body kit with revised front clip (painted body color), including recessed driving lights and chin spoiler. The truck is lowered two inches in the front and three inches in the rear - which with the suspension mods and the aggressive wheel/tire package produce lateral acceleration capability as high as .89 g, not far off what a Corvette can deliver and absolutely kicking for a full-size truck. Firm pricing hasn't been announced as of this writing, but Roush estimates "mid-to-high $30,000s" out the door when the package becomes available later this year.

Not enough? There's always Stage 2, designed for "extreme street appeal and optimum performance." Everything included with the Stage 1 package is part of the deal plus road-racy fender flares, dual side-mount exhaust and an available supercharger option to push the power output of the F-150's 5.4 liter V-8 beyond 400 hp. That's 15 hp more than the current SVT Lightning, which comes in at 385 hp.

More significantly, the Lightning you can buy right now is the old model - based on the '96-'03 "melted brick" F-Series body style that was retired last year. Ford says it will be at least mid-2005 before a Lightning built around the new F-Series bodywork and chassis will be available. That gives the Tejon - which is based on the much-improved '04 F-truck body/chassis - a long head start, even though Roush does not view his machines as being SVT competitors. Where SVT vehicles are subtle and designed to "run silent, run deep," anything that's undergone the Roush treatment is designed to turn heads in addition to turning tires. They are vehicles for people who like a little more flash and brash than SVT vehicles offer as well as exclusivity. SVT vehicles are produced in much greater numbers than Roush-modified Mustangs and F-150s. And because they can be fitted with so many different options, each vehicle is closer to being a unique creation as well.
Old 7/18/04, 08:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, pretty cool...

I hope we find something similiar for the Shelby Expedition
Old 7/18/04, 08:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That is SWEEET! I'm lovin' that! How bout one in DSG? That would look awesome in my driveway next to a 2001 Lightning!
Old 7/18/04, 09:01 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I wish Roush had put a Shaker on it rather than that fake scoop.
Old 7/19/04, 11:14 AM
Bullitt Member

nice -

current lightning is rated at 380 hp

hood scoop looks like it was lifted from a current Mustang GT
Old 7/29/04, 08:43 PM
V6 Member

I was playing around and tried a little something. This was also my first attempt at a homemade chin spoiler so sue me :P