General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

'11 Challenger 6.4L

Search this Thread

Old 10/18/09, 01:58 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Well acoording to the article sighted...

Information pertaining to the 2011 Challenger has come from a reliable source. The SRT8 will shed the 6.1L HEMI for a larger, more powerful but more fuel efficient 6.4L HEMI with anywhere from 475-525 horsepower.

Now I have zero basis for confirming that but assuming it's correct then in theory there should be better economy and performance.

But yes Zoran I agree with you I was mearly going along with Jasons line of thought.
Old 10/18/09, 04:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I think your dodge fan boy flag is waving. If I'm not mistaken you said in one of your posts chrysler has been successful with this car? Are you serious ??! See Red Star's post for why that is not true.

Anyway, I called the car mediorce because it is. Dodge improving the engine is no big deal to me because the engine is not the problem. It's the humongous gerth this car has.

And yes the 5.0 is a worth waiting for while the 6.4 for the challenger isn't because the 5.0 addresses the mustang's weakness (its motor). I'd be more excited for chrysler if there was a rumor this car was on a diet, or that it was getting a new interior that wasn't in 40 of it's other vehicles
Does one have to be a "fan boy" to cite a different opinion? I understand that mentally that is the path of least resistance and the easiest straw to grab at, but really. Should the reciprocating knee-jerk response be to call you a name like "hater"...is that how this works? If so I'll pass.

My opinion is that yes the car has been successful. However, Red Star cited sales numbers, which if accurate might cause me to retract my statement, but only if we knew what Dodge targeted as a sales target, so that the numbers could be fleshed out. If Red Stars numbers are accurate, (they appear to be) but are in-line with sales projections, then the arguement loses some validity.

Looking at it objectively, I just find it odd that an SRT8 can generate superior braking and handling performance to a GT in some respects and or discretionary differences in other areas, be faster, and you deem it "mediocre"

If you have sales projection vs. actual sales numbers and can validate your declaration ...do tell. I'll wager there is some perspective missing, as a cursory Google search reveals sales from 08 to 09 were up 182%. The key will be identifying actual sales projections.

Last edited by exgto; 10/18/09 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10/18/09, 09:38 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by burningman
What would be your plan for improving performance considering the car isn't getting a weight reduction without a complete redesign? (the chassis has dictated the weight). So the next option is bigger motor and/or power adders.

Just wondering.
Weight reduction would be my first choice, but if that's not an option then I guess the "let's just throw more power at it" solution will have to do. Again though, I'm not impressed. I'd be more impressed if they improved the interior or something

Originally Posted by exgto
Does one have to be a "fan boy" to cite a different opinion? I understand that mentally that is the path of least resistance and the easiest straw to grab at, but really. Should the reciprocating knee-jerk response be to call you a name like "hater"...is that how this works? If so I'll pass.

My opinion is that yes the car has been successful. However, Red Star cited sales numbers, which if accurate might cause me to retract my statement, but only if we knew what Dodge targeted as a sales target, so that the numbers could be fleshed out. If Red Stars numbers are accurate, (they appear to be) but are in-line with sales projections, then the arguement loses some validity.

Looking at it objectively, I just find it odd that an SRT8 can generate superior braking and handling performance to a GT in some respects and or discretionary differences in other areas, be faster, and you deem it "mediocre"

If you have sales projection vs. actual sales numbers and can validate your declaration ...do tell. I'll wager there is some perspective missing, as a cursory Google search reveals sales from 08 to 09 were up 182%. The key will be identifying actual sales projections.
I only called you a fan boy because of the way you came at me in your original post, and from some of the comments you made it wasn't much of a stretch to make that conclusion.

But I see you've got some sense so i'll leave the name calling in elementary school where it belongs.

I deem the SRT8 mediocre even though it outperforms a gt in some aspects because the SRT8 is meant to compete with the gt500. The challenger R/T is the gt competitor and it too is mediocre
Old 10/18/09, 10:14 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

If you take the Challenger for what it is (a GT car) then it makes perfect sence.
This car was built for the transcontinental thrash something I'd never want to do in any mustang.
I look at the Chally as a Grand touring car and not a pony car as everyone wants to class it as. Just because it has pony car proportions means nothing. It's a GT all the way.
Old 10/18/09, 10:34 PM
Cobra Member

I think the problem is that the original Challenger was a billed as a pony car and a competitor to the Mustang and Camaro.
Old 10/19/09, 01:11 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you take the Challenger for what it is (a GT car) then it makes perfect sence.
This car was built for the transcontinental thrash something I'd never want to do in any mustang.
I look at the Chally as a Grand touring car and not a pony car as everyone wants to class it as. Just because it has pony car proportions means nothing. It's a GT all the way.
I can agree with that Doug. But it's not like there is anything else to compare it to...
Old 10/19/09, 09:17 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Old 10/22/09, 05:59 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
something I'd never want to do in any mustang.
honestly thats to bad, my old 02 GT was a great drive from the east coast to Kansas and the 07 GT was even better. The GT500 certainly defines effortless power as I had the chance to give it a run from down here (being SeVa) to NW Pennsylvania (my mom's side of the Family lives in and around Titusville, PA). This includes a 21 hour stint in the 02 on they way back from Kansas and 11-12 hour stints in the 07 GT and GT500. Not only that, but my Folks at over 70 for my dad and nearly 70 for my mother found thier 07 GT a pleasurable drive as well ( this includes a Va-PA-NY round trip for them).

Now if your talking more than 2 people then I'm in agreement.
Old 10/22/09, 06:23 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

actually it's not the power it's the bench butt. I drove my y2K gt for 6 hours one day and i was crawling the walls.
Old 10/23/09, 03:12 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

actually it's not the power it's the bench butt. I drove my y2K gt for 6 hours one day and i was crawling the walls.
I'm with Bob. My 2007 GT is very comfortable, even for the long-haul. Furthermore, having test driven a 2010 Mustang GT, I can tell you without a doubt that the new ones are even more refined and comfortable -- a far cry from the Mustangs of yesteryear.
Old 10/23/09, 09:59 PM
GT Member

Last winter I drove my '99 (with 148,000 miles on the clock) 1200 miles to deliver it to my nephew for his 16th birthday gift. I took three days to make the trip, about 6-8 hours per day. While I was a little stiff at the end of each day, the car did fine. No problems with a cross country trip in a ten year old car. My current 2009 would be even better. So far the longest road trip I've taken is a five hour drive. It's great on the open road!
Old 10/24/09, 06:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a sort of love-hate relationship with this car. After thinking about this off and on for some time now I think Chrysler was probably a bit misguided to try and produce anything remotely akin to a Mustang or Camaro on this platform.....and I think that is where the problem is.....positioning. Standing next to a Black on Black Challenger SRT8 the other day my first thought was 'man, this really should have been a large, comfy, GT car playing in the same price range as a Vette in limited numbers'. The thought came out of nowhere, but it stuck, I think Challenger would have made a lot more sense as a sort of true, large GT counterpart to the Vette emphasizing levels of comfort and refinement Mustang and Camaro can't really focus on at their price points.

Give the car a much better interior that is extremely comfortable, user friendly, and well built....make the base engine the upcoming 6.4L Hemi V8 backed by a rwd, dual clutch transmission sourced from Porsche....and throw in a an adjustable suspension and you have this thing licked....don;t bother building them any other way. Heck, I would have to think about that myself.
Old 10/24/09, 08:28 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

it sounds like you and I have had the same thoughts. Although my position is that it was never a competitor to the Stang even though everyone would have you think so. But man it's one hell of a GT car as is.. SOOOO comfortable.Yes the interor is bland and could use some sprucing up but it's already comfy at least to me. And I could live with it easily. Heck even as bland as it is it's light years ahead of my current car 2000 GT so I have little room to *****.

But like i said when you think of it as a GT then it makes perfect sence.
Old 10/24/09, 09:18 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah, but making a Challenger a luxury Grand Tourer would be akin to making a Charger a 4-door family sedan. Oh, wait...
Old 10/25/09, 02:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More power in the big tub. Okay, they're trying to make it more competitive. Like others have stated, the key here is to try and shave some weight. I'm not sure what their resources are to be able to accomplish that, but the fact that they elected to increase power tells me thats not where their heads are.

Chally is a nice car. It looks good on the road, it makes you take notice etc. Both the Mustang (in its current form) and the Camaro beat it up pretty handily at the moment. I don't see a change for that. The current Mustang might have difficulty with this brand new one, that is a ton of power, but the updated '11 "Stang should be able to deal.