General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

06 lincoln Zephyr

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/04 | 03:05 PM

What do you guys think?
Old 12/31/04 | 04:02 PM
GT Member

Looks weird. I liked the concept a whole lot more. FWD on a Lincoln doesn't seem right either
Old 12/31/04 | 05:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

I agree with paper. The Mustang changed a bit from show-car to production-car too. The difference is that the Mustang was still pretty in production car form. This is just boring, whereas the show car was so sleek and elegant while thoroughly American from a styling stand-point. The Fusion is much better looking than this.
Old 12/31/04 | 05:41 PM
GT Member

Indeed, the Fusion is very nice, but I think the Mercury looks even better!
Old 1/1/05 | 01:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Ugh, it almost looks like they adapted the concept's front clip onto the big (read: Mid-size) Saturn sedan...

When I saw the concept I was begging for AWD and a 4.0L Duratec V-8 but now, I really couldn't care less.

:notnice:
Old 1/1/05 | 08:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Concept rear view:

Production rear view:

The concept looks far better.
Old 1/1/05 | 09:39 AM
Cobra R Member

oooooh.. ya, i'd call that a bomb. I was thinking it wasn't that bad from the front, but they ruined the tail. I think it all just comes down to the tail lights being too fat. the concept it so much better, i wonder why they changed those tail lights... make it more conservative? boo.
Old 1/1/05 | 11:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Lincoln always does this, they have SWEET concepts, but when it comes to production, for some reason they just seem to loose all there good judgement. Man if only they would just produce their concepts, they would blow Cadilac and all the Germans away. Thats just my opinion anyways.
Old 1/1/05 | 11:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

I agree, could you imagine a Lincoln line-up with the Mk IX and Mk X show cars in it (obviously the Mk X needs a different name, but they would figure it out) as well as a LS replacement that looked like the Zephyr concept and the 4dr Continental concept too? Cadi-who?
Old 1/1/05 | 02:15 PM
Post *****

Originally posted by jsaylor@January 1, 2005, 2:25 PM
I agree, could you imagine a Lincoln line-up with the Mk IX and Mk X show cars in it (obviously the Mk X needs a different name, but they would figure it out) as well as a LS replacement that looked like the Zephyr concept and the 4dr Continental concept too? Cadi-who?
I agree, that is lineup Lincoln should have!!

The two Mark concepts, as well as the Continental concept are beautiful. Hopefully Ford will change the production rear of the Zephyr . . .there's still time.
Old 1/1/05 | 03:28 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Wow, Lincoln went from out-selling Caddilac a few years ago to now being downgraded as competition to Buick.

The front end looks out of place on a production car, it seems as if it was tacked-on. I can somehow he a bad transition in my eyes.

I think if both Lincoln and Mercury are going to be saved, the each need a halo car to pump some excitement into the brands.

At least they didn't start the name of this car with an "L"
Old 1/1/05 | 03:45 PM
Post *****

^*couh*loser*cough*

concept was waay better.

edit: just looked at my post, and noticed something..."loser" refers to the whole L name thingie. i hope i didnt accidentally offend some1 oops
Old 1/1/05 | 05:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

I agree with Galaxie. Look at the concepts they keep churning out and you immediately know the light is still on somewhere at lincoln and Mercury. However, somewhere along the line, and I imagine it is where ideas meet bean-counters, these ideas get watered-down beyond recognition.

I think the obvious answer for Mercury is to turn them into a rwd sort of near-luxury/performance brand. Sort of like a rwd take on Acura with more American style, power, and design. Or imagine a car line full of cars kind of like the Buick Grand national...comfort and speed (mostly cheaper than the GN though) Or better yet, imagine a modern day version of Mercury in it's glory days, which is really what the above describes.

An entry level sedan about the size of infiniti's G35, but with available V-8 power sounds perfect to me. Then move up to a 4-door sedan about the size of and as slick as a first-gen Aurora , but rwd with V-8 only power...I might make it a sort of 4-dr fastback-coupe too, and call it a Marauder.

Since Lincoln needs to become a full on luxury car company again you could also build a lsightly bigger car on that Marauder platform as a replacement for the market the TC covers now. It would ground Mercury with a car that is easy to sell, and you could make it big and comfy without making it as stodgy as the TC. This would be a great way for Ford to keep all those TC livery sales too.

Throw in a real luxo pony-car Cougar and a revived entry level, rwd Capri coupe and the car side is covered for Mercury. These platforms would lend themselves to sharing with Ford and mercury and provide a great basis for sport/luxo rwd type crossovers and wagons too.

I think the reason ideas like this pop into Ford's head but never make it into production is they always seem to hate to give Mercury the "good" ideas. Why? If Mercury were a rwd performance/luxury brand there is nothing saying Ford cannot build cars in this range too.

However, Ford does need to keep building cars like the 500 and the Fusion as these are where the real money is at. Mercury's like this might even make a rwd, sport oriented Galaxy replacement for the CV more palatable for the bean-counters. A revived Capri could share a platform with a modern day, rwd Cortina to compete with the Mini for far less money. The list goes on.

Lincoln is easy, it just needs to become a real luxury car makes again, and would be fine if they would just move their concepts to production. A V-12 Continental Coupe flagship would be nice though. Like the Mk IX with a V-12 for instance.
Old 1/1/05 | 08:38 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by TomServo92@January 1, 2005, 9:46 AM
Concept rear view:

Production rear view:

The concept looks far better.
I agree.

Lincoln will make five new cars over the next few years. Three include the Mark LT, the Zephyr, and a car-based Aviator. The next two should be a Lincoln coupe and a Continental.

Lincoln should take the LS's chassis and make a Continental from it. Give it two wheelbases and tons of luxury. Oh, and a powerful V-8.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?f...php&carnum=1174

http://images.google.com/images?q=Lincoln+...G=Google+Search

Anyone with me?
Old 1/2/05 | 07:59 PM
Cobra Member

Well, Peter Horbury just took over the reigns of Ford/Lincoln/Mercury design after making Volvo look good..so, hopefully over the next few years some real awesome cars will be hitting the streets...

I think a V10 super sedan would be a real good idea for Lincoln, something to take on the S and 7...(and future Caddy supersedan)
Old 1/8/05 | 09:52 AM

it looked horrible at first but upon second glance the rear really isnot offensively bad, just a bit awkward and a initial shock. the front is pretty good and not much changed at all.
Old 1/10/05 | 10:18 AM
Cobra Member

I think Lincoln lost it when they did not go with a really cool Mark IX coupe to blow away the STS. I was not happy with our LS, I like our 05 GT much more. I should have been in charge of Ford, we would not have all these SUV's to take up space. If you want to burn up gasoline, do it in a cool coupe or vert.
Old 1/10/05 | 10:34 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I wouldn't mind owning one.
Old 1/10/05 | 04:52 PM

Black
Old 1/10/05 | 04:52 PM

side shot

Quick Reply: 06 lincoln Zephyr