Canada Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Making the best of the 05+ optional body-side mouldings.

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/07, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making the best of the 05+ optional body-side mouldings.

I ordered the optional body-side mouldings for my 05 because I HATE (did I shout HATE?) door dings and dents from brain-dead parkers and their careless kids.

Well, I got a small ding anyway (behind the passenger door, next to the rear wheel opening) and I HATED (did I shout HATED) the look of this beautiful car with the body-side mouldings. At least, I thought, I could order them; in the States, they are for rental companies and other commercial clients only.

Anyway, every time I washed the car or looked at it, they bugged me where they were, cutting across the doors, ruining the look (to me). I had enough and, last summer, I got out the old hair dryer and heated up the mouldings, one at a time, on a warm day, and I peeled the buggers off (there were no holes in the door underneath, thank God).

But I didn't throw them away. I removed the wax from the lower door crease area (the shaft of the hockey stick, if you like) and I stuck them on there. They look SO much better and they still give some protection, although they are, of course lower. They stick fine using the original double-sided tape that comes off with the mouldings. I used varsol to get off the remaining glue from the original position and re-waxed that area.

If you want to do this, you should know you have to take your time to get them lined up perfectly straight, but it is really simple, because that crease guides you, which makes it easy. But they stick like crazy, even the second time, and you have to cut them, carefully, on a slight diagonal, about 3 inches from the end (at the rear of the door), if you start them a couple of inches from the front edge of the doors, like I did. You place the severed ends in line with the rest of it on the quarter panel, ahead of the rear wheels openings (I wish I had photos).

The factory should have done this, in my opinion. Anyway, for what it's worth, I offer this suggestion.

Craig
Old 3/14/07, 12:06 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry had to do that ..LOL.
Still post a pic if you can I would like to see how it turned out.
Old 4/1/07, 06:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

The bodyside mouldings off of my black 05 GT are all I have left of the car ironically enough!

I hated them too so I removed them the day the car came home. Put them into a box and into storage they went. Two years later, the car is gone and the mouldings are still here in that box.

So who wants them?
Old 4/2/07, 06:57 AM

Shame the car is gone. What replaced it?
Craig
Old 4/2/07, 03:48 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by daveyramone
The bodyside mouldings off of my black 05 GT are all I have left of the car ironically enough!

I hated them too so I removed them the day the car came home. Put them into a box and into storage they went. Two years later, the car is gone and the mouldings are still here in that box.

So who wants them?
What color?
Old 5/18/07, 10:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mineral Grey Ragtop
Shame the car is gone. What replaced it?
Craig
A Jeep TJ Rubicon. Yeah, I know but ironically enough, I had moved from Victoria to Ottawa and once the snow flew, the GT just wasn't going to cut it. Who knew I'd be backout in Lotus Land this quickly (with the Jeep I might add!).

If you Ottawa guys see a black 05 GT with sequential taillights, a CDC front spoiler and small silver BOSS 281 decals below the GT badges on the fenders, it was mine.