Canada Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Brokerage fees on parts

Search this Thread

Old 2/5/06, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is probably the wrong forum but......

Have any of my fellow Canadian Stang owners found a practical way around paying the Brokerage fees on parts ordered from the states? Its not so bad when you are buying big ticket items, but their are so many neat smaller items (sequential taillights for example) that would be nice to get but the $60 bucks for brokerage turns a $180US item into a $300 Cdn item after all is said and done. UPS adds the brokerage to every shipment no matter what the cost. Do items shiped via USPS have the same? Most if not all retailers here seem to add it to the cost of their items as well, making all the little things just to darn expensive.

Any suggestions or ideas?
Old 2/5/06, 03:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whitbyred05 @ February 5, 2006, 6:59 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Have any of my fellow Canadian Stang owners found a practical way around paying the Brokerage fees on parts ordered from the states? Its not so bad when you are buying big ticket items, but their are so many neat smaller items (sequential taillights for example) that would be nice to get but the $60 bucks for brokerage turns a $180US item into a $300 Cdn item after all is said and done. UPS adds the brokerage to every shipment no matter what the cost. Do items shiped via USPS have the same? Most if not all retailers here seem to add it to the cost of their items as well, making all the little things just to darn expensive.

[/b][/quote]
I think you'll find USPS your best bet. Canada Post charges a $5 or $8 "handling charge" (which is their equivalent of a brokerage charge) plus the PST and GST. But some suppliers won't use USPS. Some even use UPS exclusively. Check FedEX brokerage charges. I found FedEX freight rates to be a lot cheaper than UPS numerous times in the last couple of years. I don't think they have the rediculous brokerage charges that UPS has but you'll need to verify that.

How far do you live from the border? Forget the question, I checked maps.yahoo.com and 110 miles is quite a trek! I'm lucky to live 10 minutes from the border here so I use a CMRA (Commercial Mail Receiving Agent) to ship to in WA state. The only item they won't accept is regular letter mail as I do not maintain a PMB there (private mail box). I had one "parcel" they refused because it was small enough that it shipped as regular letter mail. The supplier was kind enough to re-ship it Priority Mail at no extra charge. The CMRA charges me $2 per package and I import myself paying just PST and GST (or nothing). Just show the border guards the invoice and often times they just say "go ahead" as it's not worth their time to collect $4 or $5 in taxes. I haven't figured out the "magic" number yet but I think it's around $10 in taxes before they'll collect.

Now, if your travels brings you closer to Niagara Falls then it might be worth looking into a CMRA state side...
Old 2/5/06, 08:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey John. I've learned to ask for FedEx if the supplier won't send it USPS - which is THE BEST and LEAST expensive way to go. Just bought a set of tires/rims from The Tire Rack and they actually send all of their wheels/tires to Canada via FedEx now, despite the fact that UPS is their contract shipper. I have good news and bad about FedEx and high dollar shipments.....the good news is that their brokerage fees are substantially less that UPS. The bad news is that for shipments OVER $1600.00 CDN value, you go through a nightmare to get your stuff. To make a very long story short, my wheels/tires arrived at the Mississauga FedEx terminal from Indiana after only 3 working days. Then they sat for 14 days while I went through h.e.l.l. trying to figure out how to get them to my house, 30 km's away. Seems that UPS is their own broker, thus they are quick.....but expensive. With FedEx and high dollar shipments, they require YOU to assign a broker. Well nobody told me (or The Tire Rack) this crap. After about 10 phone calls back and forth to FedEx Trade Networks (their "preferred broker"), it was suggested that I go with FTN and sign the proper Power of Attorney forms and a whole lot of other garbage that meant absolutely nothing to me....but alot to them I guess. Anyways, they made it home and FTN ended up phoning and apologizing for everything. They even sent me paperwork to get me registered as an "importer" of car parts. Just what I need !!!

Most stuff under a $1600 Cdn value won't have to go through this type of mess. In fact, the Tire Rack made a bit of a boo boo with my order and I received another set of tires/rims (1 pair valued at about $700 USD) in literally 5 days. I was shocked.

So the moral of the story.....if you happen to order a big ticket item and choose FedEx, tell the seller (the shipper) to mark in BIG LETTERS that you're going to be appointing FTN as the broker.

Hope this helps, Mark
Old 2/6/06, 11:46 AM
Bullitt Member

So far I have ordered at least three parts from the States. Two with UPS and the other with USPS. Sad to say, I had to pay a brokarage fee on all 3 pieces. There is no way around this except to drive accross the border and have parts installed there and drive back accross. Even then you take a chance of getting busted at the border. I would rather pay for the shipping.

So much for the "FREE TRADE" agreement. BS if you ask me.
Old 2/6/06, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whitbyred05 @ February 5, 2006, 6:59 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

wait, save up, and buy all the little things at the same time. have them shipped to a friend or family member's house on the US side of the border, then bring them back across. saving 500$ in fees is worth the chance to drive ur pony a couple hundred miles!
Old 2/8/06, 11:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(STANG_IT @ February 6, 2006, 10:49 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
So far I have ordered at least three parts from the States. Two with UPS and the other with USPS. Sad to say, I had to pay a brokarage fee on all 3 pieces. There is no way around this except to drive accross the border and have parts installed there and drive back accross. Even then you take a chance of getting busted at the border. I would rather pay for the shipping.

So much for the "FREE TRADE" agreement. BS if you ask me.
[/b][/quote]
How much was the brokerage fee via USPS versus the UPS brokerage fee (excluding PST & GST)?

If you broker the items across the border yourself, you save the freight carrier's brokerage fees, plain and simple. UPS is something like $25 or $30, isn't it? No need to "have the parts installed there and drive back" to accomplish this. There's no chance of getting "busted at the border" if you declare the items and pay the taxes, if they tell you to.

"Brokerage" does not include PST or GST. Whether you're buying the parts local, or having them shippped direct, you're still paying the PST and GST taxes.

The "FREE TRADE" agreement concerns "duty"...the vast majority of automotive parts are duty free. It's only BS when you start looking at the softwood mess, stumpage fees, and all that crap. That's where free trade agreement is really falling apart, IMHO.

If you're looking to avoid PST/GST, then that's another matter...
Old 2/8/06, 01:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never had to pay any brokerage fees with USPS, just the $5 customs fee plus tax (GST + PST)

I have about $1500 worth of parts just sitting and waiting at my Parent's place in Arizona that I am going down to pick up in 2 weeks. I won't have to pay any taxes or duty because I will be there with the whole family for more than 7 days. Just lucky I guess.
Old 2/8/06, 04:33 PM
I Have Admin Envy

I agree with everyone above, avoid UPS if you would like to avoid the heavy brokerage fees.

What we need is a TMS member in buffalo who will let stuff get shipped to his house. I'll gladly pay him with a 2-4 for brokerage fees [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cheers.gif[/img]

Hey John (WhitbyRed) Are the the guy I always see going westbound on the 401 in the morning?
Old 2/8/06, 04:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Redfire 05Gt @ February 5, 2006, 5:41 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
How far do you live from the border? Forget the question, I checked maps.yahoo.com and 110 miles is quite a trek! I'm lucky to live 10 minutes from the border here so I use a CMRA (Commercial Mail Receiving Agent) to ship to in WA state. The only item they won't accept is regular letter mail as I do not maintain a PMB there (private mail box). I had one "parcel" they refused because it was small enough that it shipped as regular letter mail. The supplier was kind enough to re-ship it Priority Mail at no extra charge. The CMRA charges me $2 per package and I import myself paying just PST and GST (or nothing). Just show the border guards the invoice and often times they just say "go ahead" as it's not worth their time to collect $4 or $5 in taxes. I haven't figured out the "magic" number yet but I think it's around $10 in taxes before they'll collect.
[/b][/quote]
Thats a pretty cool idea. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/8/06, 09:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

I just arrived home tonight to find a UPS sticker on my door...the COD fee is 99.88 [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img]
The supplier (not mentioning any names yet) was supposed to ship it to Blaine... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsdown.gif[/img]
I called UPS to complain (not their fault) and get the breakdown...48.84 taxes...<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">51.04 brokerage</span>!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img]
We discussed my options and they're taking it back to the "border" (some warehouse in Richmond) and I can go there and clear it myself.

So there you have it...
UPS ~ $50
USPS $5
or DIY for free...
Old 2/8/06, 10:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

For those of you in the <span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Toronto</span> area, a brief search on the 'net and I found this place for you to use as a CMRA...
Check out their website at http://www.chichesterinc.com/USADist...onServices.htm

CHICHESTER, INC.
2045 Niagara Falls Blvd., Unit 9
Niagara Falls, New York
14304 USA

E-mail: chichgroup@aol.com

Toll Free: 1.800.206.6544 in U.S. and Canada

Phone: + 1.416.232.0376 Administrative and Sales Office
Fax: + 1.416.232.2297 Administrative and Sales Office

I didn't see any pricing...hopefully they're close to what SMS charges me...
Old 2/8/06, 10:57 PM

If you are in a major city, or a near the border you can self-clear UPS shipments and pay zero fees. Here is the basic procedure:

1) Get UPS tracking number once your order is in transit.
2) Call UPS and notify them that you will be self-clearing the shipment.
3) When the order arrives they will not even try to deliver it. UPS will prepare the customs "paperwork" and phone to tell you the forms are ready to pick up.
4) Drive to UPS self-clear office and get paperwork.
5) Go to nearest customs office (across the street from UPS in my case) or border crossing and give them the paperwork and pay GST/PST as required. They will stamp your papers once payment is complete.
6) Return to UPS package pickup area and give them your stamped paperwork. They will retrieve your package.
7) Throw the stuff in your car and your done!

If you don't manage to call ahead of time and they try to deliver it, simply tell the driver you are self-clearing and refuse the delivery. The shipment will go back to the depot and the next day you should get a call that the paperwork is ready.

I've done this many, many times. It's a well-kept secret...

Once you figure this out and can import with zero fees, UPS is actually the best carrier to use!!
Old 2/8/06, 11:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(f0rd @ February 8, 2006, 10:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

It's a well-kept secret...

[/b][/quote]
Not any more!!

Thank-you!
Old 2/9/06, 09:40 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Noted [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/9/06, 10:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

I just want to point out that this solution for UPS shipping to Canada is great but don't forget to compare the UPS rates between shipping direct to Canada and shipping to your nearest US city. The UPS International rate is more expensive than domestic.

Also, using a CMRA is extremely beneficial when a supplier offers free UPS shipping within the USA only...
Old 2/9/06, 02:30 PM

Hey John (WhitbyRed) Are the the guy I always see going westbound on the 401 in the morning?

No its not me. My stang is in storage right now.
Old 2/10/06, 02:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Boy do I know all about this robbery. And that is all it is...legalized theft. Stay AWAY from UPS...Its Brown because it's kaka!!!! Look Here...
Old 2/18/06, 09:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

As mentioned previously in this thread don't have products shipped internationally due to brokerage charges etc .US post and Canada Post aren't too bad on smaller items, but the real deal is to get a US shipping address and pickup the parts yourself. Many times ,for single items less than about a$100, the customs inspector may let through with no payment. The worst they will do if you declare your parts is charge you gst and pst . Quite often if you go to a shop across the border that stocks what you want it is easier and faster than going through the ordering and shipping process yourself. If the store doesn't have it they will often order it for you and notifyy you when it is ready for pick up.
I recently was trying to order some Roush products online and them shipped to my US pickup with no luck. I called Roush direct on their toll free line and they told me they had a branch in Concord ,Ont .All prices are the same as in the US but are converted to CAD at the existing bank rate plus pst and gst and shipping is free. Good deal EH?
Old 6/12/06, 07:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hate to bring a dead thread back up but I have a small boat load of things sitting at a good friends house in Michigan and Im looking for the best way to clear them across the border. Installing them isnt an option. I kind of need to go down grab the stuff eat a bit and head back. I dont even have the tiem to spend the night. Its a good 8hrs round trip and thats without eating, packing the stuff in the car etc. Any ideas on eth best way to clear things. Here's the best part, I dont have a receipt for anything, all private sale stuff so I dont have a value for them. Im planning for this weekend if I can figure out a way, if not it goes on hold till the next weekend etc. I only have at max one day off a week so the trip needs to be made on my day off. Im sure someone has come across this before
Old 6/12/06, 07:55 PM
I Have Admin Envy

you can risk it and say that you were visitings a friend, declare nothing, and hope they let you go.

Otherwise, just give a lowball value and pay the tax on that

Quick Reply: Brokerage fees on parts