Canada Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Beware Of UPS

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/05, 03:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I know this is probably in the wrong forum...sorry...Im sure a MOD will correct my mistake :worship:

Now for my RANT/Warning....
I just got a call from my son to say that my louvers were in from CDC So I was all happy...then he said that the UPS driver couldn't leave them because we had to pay some money :scratch: So I called UPS and they told me I have to pay....ready for this.....$ 86.06 !!! :shock: So I said, "For what"??? She said BROKERAGE fees !! I said, "Are you nuts? The parts are only worth $189.00 "!!! She said that the cost for filling out the customs papers was $86.06 and I had to pay it before I could get my parts !! So I paid 15 for shipping and 86 for brokerage fees totalling 101.00 for a 200.00 part !!?? WTF !!!! I will NEVER use UPS again !! I have since called USPS, Canada Post and FED EX and they all told me to stay away from UPS. The postal services and FED EX only charge on average $5.00...yes FIVE dollars for their brokerage fees !! So please....If your getting something shipped to you DON'T use UPS...They are a RIPP OFF !!!

END OF RANT
Old 10/3/05, 03:18 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This has never happened to me before, but I've heard of it happening to others.
Sounds like a rip-off to me too.
Old 10/3/05, 03:19 PM
GTR Member

my grandmothers toaster had a recall awhile back and they dropped off a new one and ups told her (the item was packaged in a postage paid box that the company mailed her just for that toaster) she had to pay a 5 dollar fee for pick up. :notnice:
Old 10/3/05, 03:27 PM
GT Member

I had to ship a $500 laptop to England..UPS said with the custom papers/tax would bring the cost to $250! I told them I wasn't going to pay half the laptop's worth just to ship it...took it across the street to the post office...40 bucks
Old 10/3/05, 03:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Holy crap! I can't believe that UPS would rip you guys off like that. Upwards of 45% of the original purchase price is absolutely insane. If I ever have to have something shipped I'll be sure not to get UPS. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10/3/05, 03:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ken, Ken, Ken....why didn't you talk to me. I could have told you to stay away from UPS. There is a way around brokerage fees but it is too late for you on this one.

A message to all Canadians buying items from the States. DON'T USE UPS. If anything, use the US postal service.

Serves you right anyway for trying to keep up to my Mustang mods
Old 10/3/05, 03:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The brokerage fee only applies to items being shipped to Canada, not within the States. Most on here will never have to worry about this.
Old 10/3/05, 03:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by cop on my back@October 3, 2005, 1:36 PM
Ken, Ken, Ken....why didn't you talk to me. I could have told you to stay away from UPS. There is a way around brokerage fees but it is too late for you on this one.

A message to all Canadians buying items from the States. DON'T USE UPS. If anything, use the US postal service.

Thats It Richard...AKA THE ZAMBONI.... Your benched for tonights game !!!
As for keeping up with your mods....I got the nice MRT louvers..so NA-NA-FREAKING-NA-NA !!!
Old 10/3/05, 04:00 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, you are right, this is going to get moved to the Canada Region since this pertains to Canada. It is not really UPS's fault, blame the government. That is the price you pay for duty and taxes. UPS of course raises it a bit, after all, they should get paid for doing the paperwork. Trust me, you would have paid more if you used a different broker.

Now you know why it is so hard to resell something after. People in the states are buying the intake cover for $149.00 US plus $20.00 shipping. It cost me $286.00 to get the thing to my door.
Old 10/3/05, 04:03 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by cop on my back@October 3, 2005, 3:36 PM

Unfortunately not all companies in the states will ship to Canada using US Postal Service, and some that do will not guarantee the shipment.
Old 10/3/05, 04:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

I guess NAFTA really doesn't exist.... :-(
Old 10/3/05, 04:21 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Brokerage is high, but UPS just stupi-fies it....
I hate them.
Old 10/3/05, 04:36 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

it IS UPS' fault to a degree. this has been going on forever - i'm surprised anyone still accepts companies shipping to them via UPS.

i always make sure they can ship USPS - still have to pay duties/taxes, but the brokerage is always only $5.

orrrrr you can ship it across the boarder and then go and get it - what you claim at the crossing is up to you.
Old 10/3/05, 06:39 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by flight96@October 3, 2005, 5:07 PM
Now for my RANT/Warning....
I just got a call from my son to say that my louvers were in from CDC So I was all happy...then he said that the UPS driver couldn't leave them because we had to pay some money :scratch: So I called UPS and they told me I have to pay....ready for this.....$ 86.06 !!! :shock: So I said, "For what"??? She said BROKERAGE fees !! I said, "Are you nuts? The parts are only worth $189.00 "!!! She said that the cost for filling out the customs papers was $86.06 and I had to pay it before I could get my parts !! So I paid 15 for shipping and 86 for brokerage fees totalling 101.00 for a 200.00 part !!??
Why in the world would you pay that for a part that isn't a critical need? Reject the package, get your money back.
Old 10/4/05, 09:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by DiamondBlue@October 3, 2005, 4:42 PM
Why in the world would you pay that for a part that isn't a critical need? Reject the package, get your money back.
I considered that. But then I would just be making grief for CDC, and thats not right. Its not their fault. However someone has given me an idea. He said to pay for it with VISA, then call Visa and cancel the charge. In my opinion what UPS is doing is fraudulent.
Old 10/4/05, 10:36 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by flight96@October 4, 2005, 11:45 AM
I considered that. But then I would just be making grief for CDC, and thats not right. Its not their fault. However someone has given me an idea. He said to pay for it with VISA, then call Visa and cancel the charge. In my opinion what UPS is doing is fraudulent.
I would think CDC has shipped to Canada before and is well aware of what UPS charges for thing like this. You cannot be the first customer that has had this happen.

They should make customers aware of additional charges they could expect beyond what they pay up front S&H.
Old 10/4/05, 01:42 PM
Retired Tms Staff

I have the same louvers and paid the same shipping fee. I guess I must be the only one that doesn't have anything against UPS for upping a brokerage fee. Must because I am also a business owner.
Old 10/4/05, 04:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@October 4, 2005, 11:45 AM
I have the same louvers and paid the same shipping fee. I guess I must be the only one that doesn't have anything against UPS for upping a brokerage fee. Must because I am also a business owner.
Wow really...they charged you $80 + as well??
Old 10/4/05, 08:14 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I ordered my exhaust from the states and paid more than that in brokerage + taxes.

You pay when you order something from the states. The paperwork is the same but the brokerage depends on the value of the item I believe...

You won't get anywhere with them, they are standard rates unfortunately.
Old 10/4/05, 08:47 PM
GT Member

Blame Canada.

Not UPS. NAFTA is a pile of crap. This has happened to me before too.

Tell me again why the price of natural gas is going up 52% despite the fact WE have all the natural gas in North America. I don't remember any hurricanes disrupting our gas fields in Alberta. A: We have to sell our gas to the busted up south and buy our own natural gas at world prices (i.e. skroo job).

As for parts? Drive down to the US and pick them up. They have recently increased the daily limit on how much you can bring back. Just don't buy any sneakers. Heheh..

Better yet, get stuff installed down there and drive it out. What are the going to say? "Sir could you please lift the hood?" "We have reason to believe you have a hot azz motor under the hood, due to reasonably priced US parts"

-C

Quick Reply: Beware Of UPS