Midwest Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Newbie All but owns the name "Rustang" take a look

Old 10/22/07, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Newbie All but owns the name "Rustang" take a look

I'm new to the forum, but have loved Mustangs since 1969 when my uncle pulled in the drive with a brand new GT500 FB.

Here are some pics of my "Rustang" (And she is nasty with it.) shes a scrapper refugee, hiding in my wallet and kicking out all my cash but give me time, give me time.

In the end, a '69 Shelby Convertible apperance, 4.6 modular engine with the harness, computer and trans. all from a P71 package Crown Vic. police car. Mustang II IFS from Heidt's IRS all with disk brakes, Pwr. RNP steering, 22 gal. fuel cell and all sorts of current pwr. options, i.e. windows, door locks, pwr. sport mirrors, auto dimming rear veiw, pwr. trunk lock, power antenna, etc.

Already have all the Shelby parts, engine and trans etc.

Now comes the real work, FRAME - As in A-L-L of it.

... Alright, whats up with the attachments? The pics are all around 350kb jpeg files. I hit manage attachments, browse the ones I want to upload, enter them and press upload - No Go??? "Page cannot be displayed" What the......?!?

Help! ... irritating!

Okay, well.. finally! pics!

That last one is the rust that fell from one smack with a hammer on the bot. of the drivers front torque box. - Yiekes!

Yea, I know - "Scrap her!, junk her, get another one - it would be
cheaper" I just can't stand to see a classic Mustang be crushed, even a plain jane, 6cyl, 3sp like this was orig.
Attached Thumbnails Newbie All but owns the name "Rustang" take a look-scrapper-021.jpg  
Attached Images          
Old 10/22/07, 11:27 PM

More pics
Attached Thumbnails Newbie All but owns the name "Rustang" take a look-scrapper-020.jpg  
Attached Images       
Old 10/22/07, 11:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now THAT is what I call a project car!!! Good luck man, keep us informed on the progress!
Old 10/23/07, 03:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dan...you must not be afraid of anything. It will be great if you can bring her back but you definitely have your work cut out for yourself. Good luck!!!
Scott
Old 10/23/07, 04:11 PM

Well, I have a brother in law and also a good friend since High School who have both done body work for years (One on the Mustangs, Vetts, and Cameros mostly), another School buddy who is an ASE Master mech. and has been doing the work for over 25 years, his spec. is elect. (Thank goodness, I hate chasing elect. prob.s) My Dad is a fabric man for the interior, and I have helped them all play with cars from time to time so hopefully we'll get it right and I'll learn a bit more.

Should be building the frame jig for it in the next week or two. I did not opt for the rotisserie 'cause I was afraid she would not hold her own weight as bad as the rails are (Front and back).
Old 11/2/07, 06:55 PM

I set the camera to a lower resolution, so I did not have to print and then scan the pics to get the size for upload.

Here are some clearer pics of the car...
Attached Thumbnails Newbie All but owns the name "Rustang" take a look-img_0163.jpg   Newbie All but owns the name "Rustang" take a look-img_0165.jpg   Newbie All but owns the name "Rustang" take a look-img_0172.jpg   Newbie All but owns the name "Rustang" take a look-img_0183.jpg   Newbie All but owns the name "Rustang" take a look-img_0211.jpg  

Newbie All but owns the name "Rustang" take a look-img_0168.jpg   Newbie All but owns the name "Rustang" take a look-img_0196.jpg   Newbie All but owns the name "Rustang" take a look-img_0246.jpg   Newbie All but owns the name "Rustang" take a look-img_0205.jpg   Newbie All but owns the name "Rustang" take a look-img_0210.jpg  

Old 11/8/07, 09:54 AM
Cobra Member

So you intend to put a whole front clip, floor, etc in it? That's quite a project. Props to you for taking on such a large job.
Old 11/8/07, 10:21 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Dan, there are applications out there you can use to re-size your pics, that way you will have high-res pics when you want them, and can still post up to this or other sites that want lower res. I use GIMP (www.gimp.org), it's free and works great. I'm sure there are others out there, maybe even some that can do bulk re-sizing for you.

Good luck on the car, sure looks like a lot of work. Keep us posted, we want to live through your experience.
Old 11/8/07, 03:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Dan,
Don't take this the wrong way. Your guts are awesome but it's more fun to drive these old cars then work on them IMO. I started restoring several cars but never finished because I got frustrated and the costs were high. I have since then purchased 2 cars from KAR Mustang in Columbus Ohio. A 65 Vert and my 70 Mach I. Both completely restored and all I have to do is keep them clean and drive them. In both cases the cars cost more to restore then I paid for them. In the case of my 70 Mach I, I have had it for 5 years ...bought it restored for $29,000 it has just been appraised at $40,500.00 All I am saying is to restore your car fully will cost more than you can buy a Grade 1 restored Stang. Check them out.
Scott

http://www.karmustang.com/classic_car_inventory.php
Old 11/9/07, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hey Dan,
Don't take this the wrong way. Your guts are awesome but it's more fun to drive these old cars then work on them IMO. I started restoring several cars but never finished because I got frustrated and the costs were high. I have since then purchased 2 cars from KAR Mustang in Columbus Ohio. A 65 Vert and my 70 Mach I. Both completely restored and all I have to do is keep them clean and drive them. In both cases the cars cost more to restore then I paid for them. In the case of my 70 Mach I, I have had it for 5 years ...bought it restored for $29,000 it has just been appraised at $40,500.00 All I am saying is to restore your car fully will cost more than you can buy a Grade 1 restored Stang. Check them out.
Scott

http://www.karmustang.com/classic_car_inventory.php
Agreed, on price at least. But I don't want a "Restored" Mustang. I want a custom modded Mustang, and I am picky about how I want it. and I don't mind the work. Besides, being simi-retired I have the time and don't have a steady regular income (Or want one) anymore, so getting a loan for a finished car is out of the question, even though I could afford it.

This way I can work on it when I get the money for the things I want, and not have to mod. up something I have paid the price for someone else to have done but not be the way I wanted it.

Probably the closest thing I have seen to what I want to do with this car is the '67 clone of a Shelby conv. by Reenmachine. But he didn't even do all I want done, and brother it won't cost me over $100,000.00 when I'm done, and there is no way I would pay that much, oh that '67 IS nice but now THAT is an overpriced car!

Oh, and we have my Brother's '66 coupe (Pasture Pony) to do after this one, it's been sitting in the mud exposed to weather for 22+ years now.

Then comes my Dad's 1963 1/2 Mercury Comet s-22 - (260 V8, T-10 sideloader 4sp.) He is the original owner. Now THAT car goes 100% Concourse Original!
Old 11/9/07, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by frdtch05gt
So you intend to put a whole front clip, floor, etc in it? That's quite a project. Props to you for taking on such a large job.

Yes, we are doing the whole thing, practicaly building the entire car from scratch, thats why we are building a frame jig (Notice I said "Building")rather than going with the rotisserie. Rotisserie may come when the frame is done if it seems the job merits it, and if so we will "Build" a rotisserie.
In addition to the crew mentioned above, my Brother is an airframe mechanic (If it needs to fabricated, lightwieght and strong, he's the guy). With the group we have (And we are a quite screwy bunch ) .... anything is possible. If we need to build it, we'll build it. If we need to refab. it, we'll do that. Mostly with this bunch, it's meeting the challenge that the day to day no longer gives us.
Old 11/9/07, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by jayguy
Dan, there are applications out there you can use to re-size your pics, that way you will have high-res pics when you want them, and can still post up to this or other sites that want lower res. I use GIMP (www.gimp.org), it's free and works great. I'm sure there are others out there, maybe even some that can do bulk re-sizing for you.

Good luck on the car, sure looks like a lot of work. Keep us posted, we want to live through your experience.
Thanks Jay, thats a help!
Old 11/9/07, 09:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Dan,
I understand better now where you are coming from. In case you didn't know the guy that owns Reenmachine is the son of the guy that is president of KAR Mustang. They are great people to work with and they can help you get any part you would need for you build up. Good luck!
Scott
Old 11/9/07, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hey Dan,
I understand better now where you are coming from. In case you didn't know the guy that owns Reenmachine is the son of the guy that is president of KAR Mustang. They are great people to work with and they can help you get any part you would need for you build up. Good luck!
Scott
Yeah come to think of it, I did read that about the connection with KAR once on the Reenmachine site. I do plan to contact them for the LED light kit, Brake master cyl., and Fuel Cell, etc.