Southwest Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Repeal Texas Front Plate Law

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/04, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B) B)

Hi Folks,

To all you Texas folks out there,you have a chance to change the front plate law here in Texas.

Just go to : Repeal Texas Front Plate Law

Check it out,if you agree,please sign.

Thanks

B) B)

Mac
Old 7/2/04, 01:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Very cool! It'd be great to get rid of this law. B)
Old 7/2/04, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

i doubt it will happen. they just passed that ridicoulous law that says they can pull you over if any part of your plate is covered or obscured.

I think the law was aimed at those license plate covers that you can only read the plate at certain angles or whatever...helps vs red light cameras etc.

that is not how they are enforcing it though. If you have one of those dealer frames that goes around your license plate they can stop you.

it happened to me. I was driving along and i pass this cop coming out of a side street. We are going along the same direction for a while. He is in the lane to my left. When we came up to 2 different red lights he wouldnt even pull up next to me. He would stop to where he was still behind my rear bumper. Thats when i knew i was going to be pulled over... so after he did that twice he finally stopped me. he gave me some line like

"sir i stopped you because your license plate is obscured and i wasnt sure what state you were from because that dealer frame covers up part of the word texas."

I wanted to tell him how much of an idiot he had to be if that was true. First off when you see TX license plates all day long they are easy to identify. Duh it has a state of TX shape in the middle for one. but i went along with it.

I think he pulled me over because he thought i looked like a thug or something because he was asking where i worked and all that crap he just used that dealer frame as an excuse...that is what they always do, pull you over for something trivial in hopes of finding something else.

i guess my point is if the can pull you over for a dealer frame i dont see them getting rid of one whole license plate.

makes about as much sense as making people wear seatbelts but then you can ride a motorcycle without a helmet.
Old 7/7/04, 03:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They've been trying to repeal this for a long time. Since 1995 I want to say?

One of the big problems is 3M, 'cause with no front plates, you'd be halving the amount of reflective paint the state bought from 3M. Needless to say, 3M has a strong lobby.

Who cares that you'd be saving the state money? (Or the state would be making more money since material cost would go down ..1/2 the metal, paint, labor, etc.).... :angry:

This guy did a good blurb on it:
http://www.nsxsc.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/000001.html
Old 7/7/04, 08:34 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
One of the things I hated about Texas ... That and the two huge stickers on the windshield. We moved to TN from Dallas two years ago .. and I'm GLAD I didn't have to drill in the front of my mach. I think I would have cried.

Supposedly, California was trying to do this as well.