Southeast Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Speed Trap Information for those attending the MCA 30th

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/06 | 11:05 AM
V6 Member

Speed Trap Information for those attending the MCA 30th

Alabama State Troopers have been setting up Speed Traps, or Traffic Blitz's as they like to call them, on Alabama Interstates. I drove through the "Blitz" mentioned in the below article and it was amazing the number of people that were pulled over on either side of the road. I have seen the Troopers do this on I-459 3 different times this year, and have heard about the same thing on I-65 between Montgomery and Prattville. I would imagine that a bunch of speeding Mustangs would be a easy target for the Troopers!!

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnew...581.xml&coll=2

Also note the use of LIDAR, this is very hard to detect even for the best Radar/Laser detectors.

Old 8/16/06 | 11:30 AM
GT Member

if you are coming up 231N, Ozark AL is a big speed trap as well from the local cops.
Old 8/16/06 | 12:14 PM
Big Falken Tires

I knew it would be 'dangerous' for our drive up - cruise control at speed limit +5/8 mph looks like the way to go.....
Old 8/16/06 | 12:46 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

65 between Calera and Pelham has become quite the speedtrap also.
Old 8/16/06 | 01:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Burke0011
I knew it would be 'dangerous' for our drive up - cruise control at speed limit +5/8 mph looks like the way to go.....
Agreed - we'll get there and no need to be in a rush IMO.
Old 8/16/06 | 04:33 PM

I have seen this speed trap in action twice, once last Saturday, and early this year. Basically they sit a SUV under the Liberty Park overpass. Inside this SUV in the LIDAR. There are usually between 5-8 police cars already sitting on the "ON" ramp ready to enter the flow of traffic and give tickets. To make it more realistic, they place a dummy in the passenger seat of the SUV...lol
Old 8/16/06 | 04:40 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally Posted by RTGreen
I have seen this speed trap in action twice, once last Saturday, and early this year. Basically they sit a SUV under the Liberty Park overpass. Inside this SUV in the LIDAR. There are usually between 5-8 police cars already sitting on the "ON" ramp ready to enter the flow of traffic and give tickets. To make it more ralistic, they place a dummy in the passenger seat of the SUV...lol
HAHA
I saw the dummy cop in Alabaster today.
They were doing a speeding sting on 119 and I laughed my butt off at his earless sunglass wearing fakeness.
Old 8/16/06 | 06:18 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

I've never been accused of going slow but I agree with keeping the speeds down for the simple fact of being in a caravan. I've only been in one other one before. Had about a dozen Mustangs and one Mustang rear ended another one.

OT, but what happened to the smiley? Or was it :evil:?
Old 8/16/06 | 06:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have seen this speed trap in action twice, once last Saturday, and early this year. Basically they sit a SUV under the Liberty Park overpass. Inside this SUV in the LIDAR. There are usually between 5-8 police cars already sitting on the "ON" ramp ready to enter the flow of traffic and give tickets. To make it more realistic, they place a dummy in the passenger seat of the SUV...lol
Todd I can't believe you just called me a "dummy"! The easiest way for me to catch violators is to just drive o I459 at the speed limit in my unmarked Expedition and use the rear radar to clock the guy who decides everyone is going too slow for his taste. During the Bike race at Barber's I got a WRX at 115 and a couple of bikes around 100.
Old 8/17/06 | 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by tacbear
Todd I can't believe you just called me a "dummy"! The easiest way for me to catch violators is to just drive o I459 at the speed limit in my unmarked Expedition and use the rear radar to clock the guy who decides everyone is going too slow for his taste. During the Bike race at Barber's I got a WRX at 115 and a couple of bikes around 100.
LOL Whitt! If it was not a dummy in the passenger seat, then someone had you wearing a wig I should have stopped and taken a picture if that was the case..lol.

Oh, I know you guys are sneaky, and I know you like to pimp the unmarked stuff. I notice you guys seem to hit I-459 pretty hard, but I never see you guys on I-65S between Hoover and Alabaster much....not that I want to, maybe there are not enough complaints? Or is it the 2 lanes of already slow hellish traffic that keep you guys away?

Old 8/17/06 | 08:29 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

You gotta be kidding me. Every day I see a state trooper parked on the median between the Alabaster and Pelham Exit. Sometimes for fun they have two of em there to screw with you.
I especially hate the black Unmarkeds cruising around.

And Alabaster has gotten radar happy recently too. Love their 35MPH speedlimits.
Old 8/17/06 | 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by EleanorsMine
You gotta be kidding me. Every day I see a state trooper parked on the median between the Alabaster and Pelham Exit. Sometimes for fun they have two of em there to screw with you.
I especially hate the black Unmarkeds cruising around.

And Alabaster has gotten radar happy recently too. Love their 35MPH speedlimits.
Nope, I travel 65S from the Galleria from 6:00-7:45 m-f depending on how much stuff I have going on a the office, and I NEVER see a state trooper...In fact the strip between the Pelham exit and Alabaster is where I usually test out my new mods

As for Alabaster, I have the inside hookup so no tickets for me
Speaking of Alabaster I sure am glad they started placing patrol cars at the 65/31 intersection in the mornings...seems to have made people finally realize what the Yield sign means.
Old 8/17/06 | 10:26 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Nope,
As for Alabaster, I have the inside hookup so no tickets for me
Speaking of Alabaster I sure am glad they started placing patrol cars at the 65/31 intersection in the mornings...seems to have made people finally realize what the Yield sign means.
I am usually cruising through there between 11-12 in the afternoons( I don't do mornings!). Never fails, theres a fricking cop just after the trees after the Alabaster exit and right before the Pelham one.
I got the hookup in Pelham so thats where I have my fun- Just AFTER the cops or on 31.

That intersection is a PITA. No one obeys the yield- I am tired of nearly getting mashed when I need to get on there, so I normally take speed trap alley home(31 to Calera).

BTW- Further FYI- BE CAREFUL on 231 and 331 if you are coming up that way- those little towns are notorious for dropping to 35 out of nowhere and setting out cops to nail you for some revenue.
Old 8/17/06 | 10:45 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Nope, I travel 65S from the Galleria from 6:00-7:45 m-f depending on how much stuff I have going on a the office, and I NEVER see a state trooper...In fact the strip between the Pelham exit and Alabaster is where I usually test out my new mods
You work at the Galleria? No way, so do I!
Old 8/17/06 | 11:24 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Aww isn't that cute......
Old 8/17/06 | 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Scothew
You work at the Galleria? No way, so do I!
Yep, I work with some guy named Scott Jackson. I thing he's the best!
Old 8/17/06 | 11:43 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Yep, I work with some guy named Scott Jackson. I thing he's the best!
Thanks man
Old 8/17/06 | 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Scothew
Thanks man
Screw you and your Admin powers

LOL...it even shows that it was edited by you. What did you edit?
Old 8/17/06 | 12:28 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

You two are sick.
Old 8/17/06 | 01:49 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Originally Posted by EleanorsMine
You two are sick.
Pot....... kettle....... black... yeah.

Quick Reply: Speed Trap Information for those attending the MCA 30th