Southeast Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Florida Caravan to TMS/MCA Meet in Birmingham!

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/06, 10:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
runfox that sounds like a good idea - I have a gray TMS shirt
Old 8/13/06, 05:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are SO going to look like a bunch of Mustang junkies. We are going to have to start a Mustangs Self Help Club when we get back, cause all we will be talking about is MUSTANGS!!!

About our route,, I did not get to connect with Dave(Burke0011) this weekend. I know Dave and Dave, you guys got our route planned out right? So we taking the southern route, I-75, I-10, west, Tallahassee, Dothan,Montgomery, Birmingham, right?

One last question. Schedule of events?? I'm not sure I saw one... Also driving on Berber track, Im not, but I was wondering if any of you all signed up for that?
Old 8/13/06, 07:05 AM
Bullitt Member

April (ElenorsMine) is Da BEST!!

April(ElenorsMine) Rocks. I mapped out the car wash list she gave us on the Main event thread, all these car washes are real close to our Birmingham Marriot hotel. I hope you all can read this map I attached here. We could wash our cars on the way in from I-85 North, exit on Vallydales rd to #2 Cahaba Falls carwash. Or check in to hotel then right down the road we come to #1 Car Wash HQ, right down the street from Marriot Birmingham. Then #3, and #4 are just a little farther down 280. We are all hooked up, thanks to April GO APRIL,,,GO APRIL !!
Attached Thumbnails Florida Caravan to TMS/MCA Meet in Birmingham!-carwask-al.jpg  
Old 8/14/06, 10:25 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Im not so sure all of those are manual do it yourself car washes. I think some are detail shops you pay someone else to do it. If I am over that way i'll try to scout it out, but I dont know when I'll get a chance.
Old 8/14/06, 10:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by runfox
We are SO going to look like a bunch of Mustang junkies. We are going to have to start a Mustangs Self Help Club when we get back, cause all we will be talking about is MUSTANGS!!!

About our route,, I did not get to connect with Dave(Burke0011) this weekend. I know Dave and Dave, you guys got our route planned out right? So we taking the southern route, I-75, I-10, west, Tallahassee, Dothan,Montgomery, Birmingham, right?

One last question. Schedule of events?? I'm not sure I saw one... Also driving on Berber track, Im not, but I was wondering if any of you all signed up for that?
Yeah on that route planning..... We didn't really work on it Between putting my rear wheels & tires on FFII, and installing a shift light on FFII we were too pooped to do anything but relax by or in the pool and watch the NHRA qualifying Rest assured we will come up with a sound plan in plenty of time
Old 8/14/06, 11:21 AM
GT Member

I live in mid-east AL and have yet to see a love bug, I will be going to Montgomery this weekend so will be able to let you all know if they are bad over that way, or there at all.

Also anyone doing a track day know if a regular motorcycle helmet will be ok to use?
Old 8/14/06, 12:48 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Haven't seen any down here yet either, but they arrive pretty sudden. Maybe the dry weather will keep them under control this year.
Have you FL guys seen any yet?
Old 8/14/06, 02:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

t until t
Originally Posted by StangNut
Haven't seen any down here yet either, but they arrive pretty sudden. Maybe the dry weather will keep them under control this year.
Have you FL guys seen any yet?
Not until after Labor Day, for SW FL at least.
Old 8/14/06, 02:23 PM

Well if they're not out by the time the show comes around, I'll be joining the caravan.
Old 8/14/06, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Central FLa hate bug report

Well unfortunatly I see em starting to grow!! Thur -fri, my last two days off I saw many smal ones. Started seeing a few on the lawn in the morning, by afternoon , looking out the sliding glass door, they were already swarming. I had to sweep up a bunch of dead ones at the front door and around the back sliding glass door.Looks like that was just the beginning stages. I dont see too many now.

I'm still going to Zaino my car, get a bottle of RejeX and use a bug screen for the trip
Old 8/14/06, 06:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

I wouldn't miss the show on a bet!

Hi, all!

I haven’t chimed in before because I can’t join the caravan. But there’s no way I’d miss the show. I’ve been to the Mustang 30th, 35th and 40th and to the MCA 25th so I’ve got to keep the streak alive.

The wife and I are driving up on Friday so it’ll be Saturday before I get to check in. I’m staying at the Marriott Courtyard near US 31 and I-459 (next major interchange south of y'all) because the wife can easily get to and spend Saturday at the Riverchase Galleria Mall – everybody gets to do their own thing!

My thanks to April for the car wash location info! And to runfox for mapping them. On the issue of love bugs, a trick that I used years ago that I may just have to try again, is to spray the likely contact areas with PAM, the kitchen no-stick spray. Supposedly they won’t stick well and it should be easy to hose off what little debris actually stays.

See you there!

Chris
Old 8/14/06, 07:28 PM

Won't the Pam run all down the hood and sides of the car once you start driving?
Old 8/14/06, 09:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Won't the Pam run all down the hood and sides of the car once you start driving?
Sure, but it will leave a thin coating that should prevent the bugs sticking to the paint. You just have to be sure to wash it, and the dirt that will also collect there, off as soon as possible. Just like in cooking when most of the liquid evaporates or gets absorbed in the food, there's still a very thin layer of coating left that prevents sticking.

I would only apply it to the parts of the car likely to be hit by the bugs: front lip of the hood, grille area and front bumper, headlights, back of both mirrors and the small strip at the top of the windshield. I would not spray it on the windshield proper as it will probably interfere with proper wiper action.

My personal concern is whether there might be an effect on the paint. But we didn't have problems with PAM and paint 20+ years ago - so given today's significantly better paint technology, I doubt there will be a problem today either.
Old 8/15/06, 09:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Bugs, bugs everywhere!!

Yeah I would say we all need to prepare for the worst. I drove up from Miami north one year in my wifes Mecury Villager van and hit central floa on the turnpike, it was like black rain, the front end was all black. I cleaned what I could off, but until the day we sold that van, it still had black residue on the front bumper.

My plan of protection is a bottle of RejeX,(should work better than PAM, if I cant find it locally I'll order it off the net) a bug screen and fresh Zaino underneath it all.

Anyone seen a schedule of events yet???

Reason I ask, my son is training for deployment to Iraq at camp shelby Miss. He has the labor day weekend off and wants me to pick him up and take him there for the weekend.So I have to see what day would be best for me to pick him up and take him back.
Old 8/15/06, 09:41 AM
J2D
GT Member

With regards to the Carwash's on the map, I know all of them except the Cahaba Falls one.

Carwash HQ is a standard car wash, you hand your keys to a guy and they run it through then dry, vacuum, clean wheels etc.

Goo Goo, is a do it yourself, but its not one of those coin-op pressure spray kind, its like a fancy gas station car wash, but you do the vacuuming etc.

Jack Rabbit is a Detailing shop, however at the same location there is a texaco that has a car wash and next door there is a coin-op pressure wash style car wash. (just realize there are 2 Jack Rabbits, the one my description refers to is the one in Homewood, not the one on 280)
Old 8/15/06, 10:57 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by J2D
and next door there is a coin-op pressure wash style car wash.
THAT'S the ticket in my book. A pressure wash place is what I want....
Old 8/15/06, 11:04 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I wanna go!

The caravan will be going right past my exit(#231) on 65 on the 31st.
Old 8/15/06, 12:46 PM

I'd like to find one of the touchless automatic car washes like some gas stations have. The car won't be very dirty so I think that'll be enough to just knock off the road grime. Plus they're great for cleaning the underside of the car.
Old 8/15/06, 03:21 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I'd like to find one of the touchless automatic car washes like some gas stations have. The car won't be very dirty so I think that'll be enough to just knock off the road grime. Plus they're great for cleaning the underside of the car.
When you pass Exit 242 on 65 N- get off there, make a right, make first left, the Shell station there has what you are looking for.
Old 8/15/06, 03:29 PM

Thanks, April.
This will be the first time any car of mine has been to a car wash since I was in high school.

Quick Reply: Florida Caravan to TMS/MCA Meet in Birmingham!