2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

X Plan tactics! Xplaners Unite!

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/05, 08:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I just got my X Plan pin!

But alas, my struggles are not yet over! :bang: I now need to get a Ford dealer to accept my xplan pin on the Mustang GT I want! I thought we should start a thread on how to get dealers to accept the xplan. Share your story.

Did you have trouble finding a dealer to take xplan?

Did you use certain tactics to get one to accept the plan?

If you're a ford employee, how can someone get a salesperson to accept an xplan pin? Is there stuff we can do to influence them? Bigger downpayment? Purchasing add ons? etc....

Share your tactics and hopefully we can get more people to get their xplan pin accepted! And maybe we can get a list of current dealerships that accept xplan. I know Ed AKA ISELLFORD in Illinois(?) accepts xplan, so if you're having trouble getting someone local, you can order one with the xplan through him and you will have to pay whatever your local fee is for out of state vehicle purchases plus whatever your local Ford dealer will charge as a courtesy fee for shipping the vehicle to you.

So far here's my plan.

Phase I. Steal underpants
Phase II ?
Phase III Profit!

I can't lose! Oh wait, that doesn't work. So please, all you people who actually got a dealer to accept the xplan tell us how you do it and why you think they took the plan and when. I have a feeling it's harder to get them to accept now than it was a year ago.

:jedi:

I wonder if I should just check out the mustang on the lot and get the sales guy to schmooze me, and then after he's spent 10-20 minutes telling me how awesome the car is, and he gets me talking about it, I'd tell him I have an xplan pin and ask if he'd accept it. I feel that might get me further than cold calling dealerships asking if they take xplan.

I also wonder if they are more willing to take xplan if I place an order for one that has yet to be built. I think they wouldn't care since that really won't affect their current inventory, but I also get a feeling there is still a limited amount of GTs they can order. I'm hoping this situation is different for the 06 since they haven't even come out yet! Let's put our minds together TMSers!

Peace,

Chuck

Update---
:w00t:
Thanks TMSers. I got my local dealer to accept xplan. Here's how.

Me: Hi, I wanted to place a custom order on an 06 mustang GT with the Xplan, will you take it?

Sales: No, no one will take the Xplan on the Mustang GT.

Me: That's not true. I found a dealer in San Diego who will take it, and I've already started to place an order, but I haven't put down my deposit yet because I wanted to see if any dealer near me will honor the plan.

Sales: Hold on, let me get you the manager.

Manager: Hello.

Me: Hi, I was talking to (salesguy) and I wanted to know if I could place a custom order on the 06 Mustang GT.

Manager: Yes, we're taking orders now.

Me: That's great, I also wanted to know if you would take the xplan. I found a dealer down in San Diego who will take it, and I've already started to place an order with them, but before I put down my deposit, I wanted to see if any local dealer will honor the plan. Since having to deal with the other dealer will be a bit of a hassle for me.

Manager: Yes, I'll take the xplan. Just come down with your information and we'll talk about options.

Me: Thank you.

Pretty cool. It's almost like you have to use the Jedi Mind trick on the dealer. I found that you have to sound confident and act like you getting a mustang GT on xplan is already in the bag, and they're just going to lose a sale if they try to bluff you into paying MSRP or more. It's almost like talking to a pretty gal and not letting on that you think she's hot.

I think its important that you tell the dealer that another dealer within a 2 hour drive, in state will give you the xplan. That way the your story is plausible and 2 hours is just enough of a hassle to make it seem like if they say no, you'd be willing to drive the 2 hours to get the savings. But its enough of a hassle that you'd want to check with all your local dealers. Lucky for me, I have 5-6 dealers within a 30 minute driving distance. I'm in Los Angeles. I also feel its important that you get your story out before the manager can say no so they can make a decision with full information and don't prematurely say no.

That's my two cents. I hope this helps other people with the xplan.

BTW, you can get the xplan by going to www.blueovalforums.com and asking for a pin in the pin request section. Feel the love people!
Old 7/13/05, 08:27 PM
GT Member

easiest way, order it in michigan
Old 7/14/05, 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by metfoo@July 13, 2005, 7:30 PM
easiest way, order it in michigan
Mossy Ford in So. Cal takes Xplan.
Old 7/14/05, 12:24 PM

Well after aquiring the underpants you have..... oh wait I got sidetracked.

I basically emailed about 15 different dealers going out from my location. Fortunately 3 in that initial email salvo would accept the X-plan. I did a little research on the dealers and picked one. Everything seems on track so far. This seems best suggestion just keep widening your radius until successfull.

Good luck
Old 7/14/05, 12:25 PM

I got Star Ford at Oxmoor here in Louisville, KY to do X-Plan on the 06 GT I ordered.

The management said they wouldn't do it at first, but the salesman I had rocked and told me to hang on, that'd he get me the X-plan. He left and came back ten minutes later and said 'done'. I asked him what he did and he said he simply told them that I refused to buy the car unless they accepted my X-Plan.
Old 7/14/05, 12:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by cyoon@July 13, 2005, 8:17 PM
Did you have trouble finding a dealer to take xplan?
Did you use certain tactics to get one to accept the plan?

I can't lose! Oh wait, that doesn't work. So please, all you people who actually got a dealer to accept the xplan tell us how you do it and why you think they took the plan and when. I have a feeling it's harder to get them to accept now than it was a year ago.
I went to all the local dealers earlier this year and none of them would sell me on the Xplan so I decided to hold off. I went and test drove a GT last week and really liked it so I decided to go ahead and order a new 2006 model. While sitting down to price it out I mentioned I had bought a previous Explorer from them on Xplan and they went ahead and offered me Xplan on the new Mustang order.

I also wonder if they are more willing to take xplan if I place an order for one that has yet to be built. I think they wouldn't care since that really won't affect their current inventory, but I also get a feeling there is still a limited amount of GTs they can order. I'm hoping this situation is different for the 06 since they haven't even come out yet! Let's put our minds together TMSers!

So, my new 06 is on order under the Xplan pricing with a priority of 16 so I think I won't have it for a while. They did say that they have no problem doing Xplan on orders but they don't do them with cars already in their inventory. Another dealer here is still saying NO to the Xplan even on orders so I think it depends on how many sales a particular dealer does whether they can afford to sell at those prices or not. I am in El Paso TX by the way.
Old 7/14/05, 12:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Both my local dealers will do X plan on order.
but Chicago is not local for you, sorry
Old 7/14/05, 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

My local dealer offered me X Plan on a ordered 2006, not cars on the lot. Doesn't help you much since I'm in Florida. Now I just have to decide if I want to order one or not... or wait for the Cobra....

Decisions, decisions....
Old 7/14/05, 06:50 PM
V6 Member

Here's what worked for me. I e-mailed a number of small town dealers that showed GT inventory on the Ford website. Found a Ford dealer near a military base about an hour from my house that had 4 GT's in stock!

I called their internet sales guy and told him I had a dealer willing to order an 06 for me at x-plan. I told him if he would honor x-plan on a GT in stock I would commit to buying it. He ran it by his manager and he was surprised that the manager said "take it, it's a car deal". I picked up my GT last Thursday and have been enjoying it ever since.

So takeaway may be to (1) focus on out of the way dealerships, (2) try those near military camps (they may have more inventory); (3) ask but show that your committed; and (4) cross your fingers that you're talking to them at a time when they want to move vehicles.

Good luck!
Old 7/14/05, 07:40 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 06VistaBlueGT@July 14, 2005, 12:28 PM
I got Star Ford at Oxmoor here in Louisville, KY to do X-Plan on the 06 GT I ordered.

The management said they wouldn't do it at first, but the salesman I had rocked and told me to hang on, that'd he get me the X-plan. He left and came back ten minutes later and said 'done'. I asked him what he did and he said he simply told them that I refused to buy the car unless they accepted my X-Plan.
:angry: Thats my avatar! Give it back!
Old 7/14/05, 07:48 PM
Bullitt Member

What ever you do, get something in writing. Plenty of folks here have stories of dealers saying they would take an xplan and backing out later.