Search this Thread

Old 9/8/07, 01:53 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
use the fogs for just driving lights when u dont feel like using the HID's
Old 9/8/07, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Saleen HIDs with Silverstars. The Silverstars suck and don't even come CLOSE to matching the HID bulbs. Don't bother.

Here are the Saleen HIDs with foglight HIDs. Unfortunately my headlights are 4300k and my foglights are 6000k, so they don't match! I think I will eventually change out the Saleen capsules to the 6000k color so that all lights will match.
What kit did you use to get HID fogs? Is there a 4300k version of the HID fogs?
Old 9/9/07, 08:43 AM
GT Member

Bi-Xenon HIDs and HID Fogs...go!

Alright, i'm looking for the BEST HID option out there...Bi-Xenons and HIDs for fogs, and i think i want 6000K.

However, i'm thoroughly confused by all the posts regarding HIDs and the various eBay vendors out there and how their offering differs from the other vendors like StangMods.

Can someone give me a few links to the kit i'm looking for, Bi-Xenon (both HID, i don't want highs or lows halogen) and HID fogs.
Old 9/10/07, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Anonimac
Alright, i'm looking for the BEST HID option out there...Bi-Xenons and HIDs for fogs, and i think i want 6000K.

However, i'm thoroughly confused by all the posts regarding HIDs and the various eBay vendors out there and how their offering differs from the other vendors like StangMods.

Can someone give me a few links to the kit i'm looking for, Bi-Xenon (both HID, i don't want highs or lows halogen) and HID fogs.
In my opinion, I think going with a single-HID bulb that uses a solenoid to switch between driving+high beams is the best.
1) HIDs require a few minutes to warm up to full brightness
2) HIDs require alot of extra voltage to start up
3) I'm not sure about this part, so please correct me if I'm wrong: I believe HIDs can only be ignited a certain number of times and each time you flick it on, you are taking away from its life.

So when you want to flash your HID high beams a few times to signal to someone, if your high beams are separate bulbs, they won't be warmed up, and also they will have to be re-ignited every time you flash your high beams. If you have a solenoid, then you can flash all you want, because the bulb is not ever actually turning on or off (OEM solenoid covers part of the bulb for low beams and retracts for high beam.. I don't know how the other solenoid solutions work).
Old 10/2/07, 09:12 PM

Found a decent match...

test
Old 10/2/07, 09:20 PM

Found a decent match! (post attempt #2)

Ok guys, I talked to the guy at StangMods.com about our mismatched fog-light predicament.. and he found me a 4000k HID fog (not found on website)... here are some before (with stock halogens) and afters (with 4000k Stangmods.com HIDs).. SOO MUCH BETTER THAN BEFORE!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

It's not a 100% match.. the 4000k HID fogs are still a little bit whiter than my yellowish stock HID headlights. I'll go see if they have anything SLIGHTLY lower in temperature to make a perfect match... Also, my HIDs look more blue than they really are in the other pics because I used different cameras..
Old 10/3/07, 05:00 PM
V6 Member

For those of us with the OLD school lights. I thought I would just put my imput in!

Old 10/3/07, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Emperor008
I'm confused. The HID lights are nice, but are they only for headlights or foglights as well? If you drive with both heads and fogs on (like I do) and the head lights are HID, wouldn't that ruin the symmetry between the two lights?

Hi Emperor008,

HID refers to the light source not the light assembly itself. AFAIK the optional '08 headlights are HID and the fogs are halogen. You can buy HID conversion kits for the foglights no problem. I have Saleen's HID headlights and a pair of H10 HID conversion bulbs in my fogs and they match because I specified 4300K H10 bulbs for the fogs. They match pretty well once they are all warmed up.

BTW, the Saleen HID kits complete are available at reasonable prices if you get lucky, I managed to buy a new set complete in the box for $440 and the H10 HID bulbs and ballast and ignitors were only $120.

The Saleen HID headlights are pure white and noticably brighter with a wider beam on the ground than the stock headlights. The H10 HID fogs are VERY bright and throw an extremely wide and bright pattern. With the Saleen HID's on low and the H10 HID fogs all lit up you cannot drive fast enough to run out of road. I just need to look at the schematics and alter the wiring to allow the H10 HIDs to remain on with the Saleen HID highbeams. It isn't critical though because the Saleen HID's on low and the H10 HID fogs are more than enough light for most any speed you are likely to achive in the dead of night.

HTH!
Old 10/4/07, 05:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

I know at this time it is very hard to get a projector bulb with HID's, so we must resort to the ebay style or saleen. All my previous cars that had HID's (350z, Murano, S40) all used projector style bulbs and they were great. Are the HID's that everyone here are using (besides the saleen) as bright as an HID with projector bulbs?
Old 10/4/07, 06:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jmanpatsfan
I know at this time it is very hard to get a projector bulb with HID's, so we must resort to the ebay style or saleen. All my previous cars that had HID's (350z, Murano, S40) all used projector style bulbs and they were great. Are the HID's that everyone here are using (besides the saleen) as bright as an HID with projector bulbs?
Sure they get just as bright if you use the same temp, 4300k, but a projectors spreads the beam out wide and evenly which is what makes them great. Sticking them in a reflector housing not make for them just intensifies and already weak beam pattern.
Old 10/4/07, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by ren274u
Sure they get just as bright if you use the same temp, 4300k, but a projectors spreads the beam out wide and evenly which is what makes them great. Sticking them in a reflector housing not make for them just intensifies and already weak beam pattern.

Hi ren274,

You are correct the bulbs are just as bright, the difference in the light on the ground is one of efficency. The Saleen HID headlights are noticably brighter than any of the upgraded Halogen bulbs you can buy and much whiter but still not in the same league as a projector HID lighting system as far as even illumination and total light on the ground goes.

A projector headlight can get much more of the light on the ground than a reflector design for several reasons. First they use a deeper reflector which can capture and focus the HID generated light. Second after the light is tightly gathered and directed out the front of the reflector the best designs are capped with a single or better yet compound lens to focus the light on the road much more widely and evenly. This is the real difference, efficency through focused optics.

I think there is adequate space behind the headlights to accomodate a true HID optimized projector headlight but so far nobody as built one. I suppose you could go to a junkyard and collect the parts necessary to assemble a good HID projection reflector and lens and then adapt it to the stock headlight buckets Saleen style. But so far nobody has made an effort and published how they did it or even offered them up for sale.

Would anybody have an interest in a dual projector HID system in a stock Mustang headlight housing? I don't think so due to major issues with style and the fact that most people driving the new Mustangs don't have much experience with what was originally an upmarket European car feature. Personally I think a dual HID projection headlight bucket would look completely out of place on the Mustang but it might be perfectly doable from junk yard parts and some puttzing around out in the garage. Another option would be to make a four HID projector headlight assembly using small lenses and stash them inside a split headlight door styled to look like the two light 70's Boss 302's leaving the stock foglights where they are.

Cheers!