Wont start after a night out.. - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

2005-2009 Mustang S197 Discussion & News

Wont start after a night out..

Old 11/14/17, 10:47 AM   #1

Wont start after a night out..

Well got a problem starting my stang..

Backed it out of the garage and it were outside over the night. The temperature got below zero.

Next day when I were going to drive it back inside nothing happened..

The start engine are not trying to fire but the gas pump is whirring...

What I checked so far..

Got gas..
Battery is charged

Could the cold have done something?
SleepingBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join The Mustang Source

Join TheMustangSource.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Mustang fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Mustang Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your stang, and have a great time with other Ford Mustang fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Mustang you'll find that TheMustangSource.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TheMustangSource.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Old 11/14/17, 12:34 PM   #2
Cobra Member

First guess would be a weak battery. Even though it appears to be charged, the cold can knock it down enough that it won't start the car. You could try jumper cables or a starter/charger if you have one available.

Next guess is something froze; but that is not likely and I have left a wet car sitting overnight to freeze many times and it still started up in the morning.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/17, 06:57 PM   #3
Shelby GT350 Member

That's not a whole lot to go off of... So starter is engaging and the engine is turning over? Does the exhaust pipe smell like gas? pulling a spark plug is always a scary thing on 05-07 4.6Ls, otherwise I'd say pull some plugs and see if they're getting spark or if they're wet
Cavero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/17, 10:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
First guess would be a weak battery. Even though it appears to be charged, the cold can knock it down enough that it won't start the car. You could try jumper cables or a starter/charger if you have one available.

Next guess is something froze; but that is not likely and I have left a wet car sitting overnight to freeze many times and it still started up in the morning.
Don't own a starter, but could try with a new battery just to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavero View Post
That's not a whole lot to go off of... So starter is engaging and the engine is turning over? Does the exhaust pipe smell like gas? pulling a spark plug is always a scary thing on 05-07 4.6Ls, otherwise I'd say pull some plugs and see if they're getting spark or if they're wet
No, the starter ain't engaging and nothing from the engine. Only the gas pump.
SleepingBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/17, 07:02 AM   #5
Shelby GT350 Member

If the starter doesn't turn over at all, check the relay. Grab the one right next to it, it's for the high speed fan, and see if it's the relay. If the starter still doesn't turn over it maybe the same problem I had, which was the circuit board for the relays was bad and I had to replace the box.
05YellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/17, 01:52 PM   #6
Cobra R Member

I'd say yep, it's the battery. Cold weather is tough on a battery. Sounds so weak it won't engage the starter, so your just getting a clicking noise. If it's past 4 years old it's time to replace. If it's not you may have a dead cell causing the problem. Either way I'd say garb you a new battery, and you should be fine. Good luck.

Last edited by wanted33; 11/15/17 at 01:54 PM.
wanted33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/17, 06:01 PM   #7
Shelby GT350 Member

Yeah very likely the battery but you could try rapping a screwdriver handle on the starter. I had a dying starter on am older car of mine and that would do the trick, at least sometimes
Cavero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/17, 06:13 AM   #8
Shelby GT350 Member

No, the "starter ain't engaging" and nothing from the engine. Only the gas pump.[/QUOTE]

It's hard to understand for sure what he's saying, but it sounds like the starter isn't turning over at all? If so, then like I said could be the relay.
05YellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/17, 12:06 PM   #9
Bullitt Member

Change or charge the battery.

The starter draws a ****load more amps. Everything else on the car can work except the starter when it is low.
07 Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 07 Boss For This Useful Post:
wanted33 (11/17/17)