The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   Wont start after a night out.. (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/wont-start-after-night-out-544844/)

SleepingBear 11/14/17 09:47 AM

Wont start after a night out..

Well got a problem starting my stang..

Backed it out of the garage and it were outside over the night. The temperature got below zero.

Next day when I were going to drive it back inside nothing happened..

The start engine are not trying to fire but the gas pump is whirring...

What I checked so far..

Got gas.. :grin:
Battery is charged

Could the cold have done something?

Bert 11/14/17 11:34 AM

First guess would be a weak battery. Even though it appears to be charged, the cold can knock it down enough that it won't start the car. You could try jumper cables or a starter/charger if you have one available.

Next guess is something froze; but that is not likely and I have left a wet car sitting overnight to freeze many times and it still started up in the morning.

Cavero 11/14/17 05:57 PM

That's not a whole lot to go off of... So starter is engaging and the engine is turning over? Does the exhaust pipe smell like gas? pulling a spark plug is always a scary thing on 05-07 4.6Ls, otherwise I'd say pull some plugs and see if they're getting spark or if they're wet

SleepingBear 11/14/17 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bert (Post 7022360)
First guess would be a weak battery. Even though it appears to be charged, the cold can knock it down enough that it won't start the car. You could try jumper cables or a starter/charger if you have one available.

Next guess is something froze; but that is not likely and I have left a wet car sitting overnight to freeze many times and it still started up in the morning.

Don't own a starter, but could try with a new battery just to be sure.

Originally Posted by Cavero (Post 7022366)
That's not a whole lot to go off of... So starter is engaging and the engine is turning over? Does the exhaust pipe smell like gas? pulling a spark plug is always a scary thing on 05-07 4.6Ls, otherwise I'd say pull some plugs and see if they're getting spark or if they're wet

No, the starter ain't engaging and nothing from the engine. Only the gas pump.

05YellowGT 11/15/17 06:02 AM

If the starter doesn't turn over at all, check the relay. Grab the one right next to it, it's for the high speed fan, and see if it's the relay. If the starter still doesn't turn over it maybe the same problem I had, which was the circuit board for the relays was bad and I had to replace the box.

wanted33 11/15/17 12:52 PM

I'd say yep, it's the battery. Cold weather is tough on a battery. Sounds so weak it won't engage the starter, so your just getting a clicking noise. If it's past 4 years old it's time to replace. If it's not you may have a dead cell causing the problem. Either way I'd say garb you a new battery, and you should be fine. Good luck.

Cavero 11/15/17 05:01 PM

Yeah very likely the battery but you could try rapping a screwdriver handle on the starter. I had a dying starter on am older car of mine and that would do the trick, at least sometimes

05YellowGT 11/16/17 05:13 AM

No, the "starter ain't engaging" and nothing from the engine. Only the gas pump.[/QUOTE]

It's hard to understand for sure what he's saying, but it sounds like the starter isn't turning over at all? If so, then like I said could be the relay.

07 Boss 11/16/17 11:06 AM

Change or charge the battery.

The starter draws a ****load more amps. Everything else on the car can work except the starter when it is low.

SleepingBear 12/3/17 01:09 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

Finally had the time to check the car.

Tried to change battery, no effect.
Checked all circuits and relays.
Checked for faults with the OBD, no result there either.

Also linked to a video I uploaded on vimeo what happens when I turn the key, because there have been some confusion about my explanations. :D

05YellowGT 12/4/17 05:59 AM

OK, if it's not the relay itself, it could be a bad board on the relay box. I was having the same thing happen and it turned out to be the board in the box was bad. If you've determined the starter isn't getting any voltage and all the wiring and ignition switch is OK, there's a good chance you have the same problem. Steeda said the boards going bad is a known problem, and once they replaced mine I haven't had it happen again. Almost forgot, you also need to check the switch on the clutch. You can disconnect it and put a shunt across the pins in the connector and see if it starts.

07 Boss 12/4/17 10:40 AM

Could be the PATS also. Have you tried a different key?

SleepingBear 12/4/17 02:36 PM

Thanks again for the fast answers guys.

Will test these things as soon as I get the time.

Lime GT 12/5/17 11:14 PM

If you have a manual transmission check the clutch pedal position switch. If you have an automatic check the digital transmission range sensor {DTR}. If automatic have you tried starting in Neutral?

You should also check the wiring at the starter. A lot of corrosion goes on down there.

Gabe 12/6/17 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lime GT (Post 7022894)
If you have a manual transmission check the clutch pedal position switch. If you have an automatic check the digital transmission range sensor {DTR}. If automatic have you tried starting in Neutral?

You should also check the wiring at the starter. A lot of corrosion goes on down there.

Going by that video above, it DOES kinda seem to behave like a car that either doesn't have the clutch engaged or if an auto, is in D when trying to start it.
Both scenarios would result in total silence when trying to turn the key to start it (just not sure about the fuel pump priming, I think that happens regardless, when the key is turned to the ON position)

EDIT:
And it's not a PATS issue, since in the video that Theft light is not misbehaving, it goes out and stays out, when turning the key.
If there was an issue, it would be flashing when trying to start the car