2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Wondering what bolt-on's for 05'

Search this Thread

Old 8/7/04, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, since this is my first topic here at mustangsource.com, let me say hello. Ive been reading for awhile, and I must say I am pretty excited with this new mustang. Though I've always been a mustang fan, the mustangs of late have always looked kinda cheap (though i did want my first car to be a 93' LX coupe 5 speed with under 50k miles cherry, haha, that never happened), but now, WOW, these 05's really look sharp.

Anyways, enough of the intros. I love modding my cars, and I plan to do the same with this mustang, if I get one. Ive been kinda out of the mustang mod community after failing to find my holy grail. I got into my old bimmer, and modifying it. HAHAHA, if anyone has ever owned an older BMW (or i guess any year for that matter) yall know just how expensive mods are for them that achieve VERY little. Not like the bolt-on heaven available to mustangs and domestics . So my question is, what will yall bolt on to your new mustang. Will anybody go for forcecd induction with the new 3v heads (i think they are 3v )? Maybe even turbo(so much potential B) )? Please post thoughts.

Jason
Old 8/7/04, 06:56 AM
GT Member

I am sure there will be supercharger kits available very soon after the cars show up at dealerships. The big question is what kind of internals are in the new 3 valve engines? If they are the same weak rods and pistons of the previous generation, then putting alot of boost on this engine might be a bad idea.

I am hoping Ford steps up with some sort of forged internals. I'm not asking for the bullet-proof stuff that is in the '03-'04 Cobras, just decently strong rods and pistons. Say, something similar to what was in the pre-'93 5.0's. If the new 3 valve motors have strong enough internals, and react well to boost; then my decision to hold out for a SE will become alot more difficult to stick with.
Old 8/7/04, 09:39 AM
Bullitt Member

I want to bolt on a blower too, Roush/Ken Belle/Saleen will soon have kits for you 05 stang. Procharger will be working on one later this year or beginning of next year. BUT I have doubts with the internals on the 05 V8. Here is why:

The lightweight hypereutectic aluminum pistons have short skirts, with an anti-friction coating that assures more of the power is delivered to Mustang’s rear wheels and less is lost to friction. High-tension piston rings provide better cylinder sealing for long-term durability and low oil consumption. The connecting rods use Ford’s cracked powdered metal manufacturing technique for precise fit. Five main bearings with cross-bolted main bearing caps further ensure durability and reduce flex. A tray attached to the main bearing caps baffles oil flow in the pan, reducing aeration and assuring proper oil feed to the crankshaft during the kind of sustained lateral maneuvers encountered in performance driving

As you can see the 05 has hyper pistons and the rods are the cracked powered metal type. Right there is the weak link for boosting your engine. Almost positive that those rods will not hold up under small?? large??? amounts of boost? Hopefully the article is wrong about the rods/pistons but probably not. Just make sure to research what this engine can handle before you do it, I plan on it! Someone please correct me if I am wrong!
Old 8/7/04, 10:59 AM
GT Member

What article is that information from? If it is true that they are sticking with the hypereutectic pistons and cracked connecting rods, i am definately waiting for a SE. The only thing that has kept me from boosting my Cobra's engine are those same internals.

Lots of people run boost with those internals, but it is always a crap shoot. And sooner or later they let go, especially under hard driving. I am hoping that article was talking about the old GT or is mistaken in their information. If not, i am alot less tempted than i was for a new GT.
Old 8/7/04, 02:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 97RedSnake@August 7, 2004, 11:02 AM
What article is that information from? If it is true that they are sticking with the hypereutectic pistons and cracked connecting rods, i am definately waiting for a SE. The only thing that has kept me from boosting my Cobra's engine are those same internals.

Lots of people run boost with those internals, but it is always a crap shoot. And sooner or later they let go, especially under hard driving. I am hoping that article was talking about the old GT or is mistaken in their information. If not, i am alot less tempted than i was for a new GT.
97RedSnake here is the link: http://www.modernengineuity.com/specs/05st...rain05stang.htm

I hope it's not true but I don't see why it wouldn't be! Someone please prove me wrong!!
Old 8/7/04, 03:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 97RedSnake@August 7, 2004, 11:02 AM
What article is that information from? If it is true that they are sticking with the hypereutectic pistons and cracked connecting rods,
B) Same info provided in Fords Press release kits; pp33.
Old 8/7/04, 06:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If any car is designed to be fast n/a, normally adding a supercharger is not the way to go. No one is going to sell a forged internals 8.5:1 N/A car stock.
Old 8/7/04, 06:47 PM
Cobra Member

This gets my vote for most popular forum topic this month.
Old 8/7/04, 08:52 PM

We know so little of this engine it is difficult to state which bolt-ons will produce the best hp/$ and factor in engine survivability.

The engine is a mystery other than displacement(bore x stroke) and compression. And the compression appears rather high for regular octane gas.

What are the intake and exhaust valve sizes?
Flow of intake and exhaust runners?
How does the variable intake manifolding work?
What is the camshaft timing?
Does Premium Gas increase spark timing and hp?
How restrictive or otherwise are the factory exhaust manifolds?
What are the injectors rated to?
How HD or not are the internals?
How much of the truck engine design carried over to this engine?

Rumors:
1.Extensive OEM computer control will not allow for simple adjustments as with improved air cleaner/filter or deletion of pollution control equipment.
2.Engine designed with maximum hp extraction in mind and a self tuner may not be able to extract as much hp as with previous inefficient engines.(5.0L)

As an aside-Will this engine have any factory sponsored development beyond OEM issue? I mean SVO is what made the 5.0L more than just another 302 Windsor and SVT made the 03-04 Cobra/Mach I engine possible from a 4.6L. Or will the 3v rely strictly on the aftermarket?

We have quite a way to go. My opinion.
Old 8/8/04, 01:17 AM

I think I'd leave the motor alone for a few thousand miles....see what base looks like before trying anything too radical. If that sweet intake cover is coming stock on the GT (which is looking promising), that's all I'm looking for under the hood. .....for starters.... B) I'm looking for some changes on the outside....please tell me that someone's going to have a ducktail available in the aftermaket arena....I've seen some chopped pics with 'em on and that looks so much better to me than either spoiler or spoiler delete does. I'd also love to change the taillights to something more '68 Shelby-esque like they had on the concept. I'd take those pass-through exhaust tips in the rear valance, too!

Damian.

Oh yeah....and some quarter window vents...