2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Wolfgang Petersen Takes a Bullitt for WB

Search this Thread

Old 6/13/04, 12:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's the worst of all worlds for you:

They make the movie. They make a Bullitt SE inspired by the movie. The film blows bigtime, I'm talking Jar Jar Binks bad. Then you've got the special edition Bullitt 'stang you've been waiting for and nobody wants it because it's connected with such a stupid film.
Old 6/13/04, 12:30 PM
V6 Member

It could happen but here's a few reasons it won't bomb.

1, If Brad Pitt is in it, the women will go just to see him.
2, Because Brad Pitt is in it, they will ask us if we're intrested. And we will go, just to see the chase scenes.
3, It'll probably be PG-13, So kids will also come to see it for the "cool" scenes they saw in the trailer.
4, They couldn't use any other car except for the Mustang....anything else and they would just be asking for trouble. So most, Mustang enthsiasts would go and see it, bringing gf's, friends and our young sons so they can see what a cool car is.
Old 6/13/04, 05:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All of that doesn't stop it from sucking. That just gets people into the theatre.
Old 6/13/04, 08:10 PM
V6 Member

Once they get your money, they don't care....How else you you explain "Troy".
Old 6/13/04, 08:17 PM
GT Member

Troy makes me wonder if the writers ever read the Illiad.

-EDIT- After a few moments of wondering, I've decided that they didn't, in any way shape or form read the Illiad.
Old 6/13/04, 08:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Crew@June 13, 2004, 7:13 PM
That's not my point. My point is that even if lots of people go see it initially, the movie can still suck ****. Nobody would by a car that is associated with a godawful movie, so the car wouldn't sell very well.
Old 6/13/04, 08:51 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Decipher+June 13, 2004, 10:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Decipher @ June 13, 2004, 10:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Crew@June 13, 2004, 7:13 PM
That's not my point. My point is that even if lots of people go see it initially, the movie can still suck ****. Nobody would by a car that is associated with a godawful movie, so the car wouldn't sell very well. [/b][/quote]
I think the worst that would happen is this:

The car chase scenes will ROCK. They can do this for sure and make the car look bad hiney

Even if the plot sucks, people will still love the car and the chase. Sound like a movie we know..........

Basically, car looks good regardless of how the movie does.
Old 6/14/04, 05:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

i think if they try to follow the same formula as the 'starsky and hutch' update they should be alright. i enjoyed the movie and the actors. just stay as true to the original show as possible, and don't go too hollywood with it. by that i mean over the top matrix special effects or the like. it seems like there is great potential to make a great movie, especially since they already have existing characters and story lines they can work from...it's not like they're just making a shot in the dark.

there have been a lot of succussful movie modernizations, but of course some really bad ones too. guess we'll have to see how they do, yeah?

wolfgang peterson's track record, to me, isn't looking too good after troy. i agree, did they ever even read the illiad? (i'm sure no one wants to get into a rant about how they botched it, but it was bad) hopefully peterson can bring any writing problems back down to earth, and keep the movie where it should be.
Old 6/14/04, 05:55 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Decipher+June 13, 2004, 8:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Decipher @ June 13, 2004, 8:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Crew@June 13, 2004, 7:13 PM
That's not my point. My point is that even if lots of people go see it initially, the movie can still suck ****. Nobody would by a car that is associated with a godawful movie, so the car wouldn't sell very well. [/b][/quote]
Riced out hondas still sell to the kids and Fast and the Furious sucked
Old 6/14/04, 06:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

good point, but i don't think it was the fast and the furious that did it, it was just fuel to the fire. and it was playing off of a growing market for that kind of thing, just drawing in the people who were into it, or wanted to get into it.
Old 6/14/04, 06:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Galaxie@June 11, 2004, 4:39 PM
Why can't they leave the classics alone?

I for one hope they don't do it.. But then again, the Bullitt Mustang would be a great collector's item for that movie, and demand would be HUGE.
The good thing is that he did Troy, which ruled btw ! As long as the main character drives a V8 05' Mustang and not an import, I am happy!
Old 6/14/04, 06:37 AM
GT Member

HMMMM Why can't they leave a classic film ....well a classic ? Do we need a new film, who can replace Steve McQueen ? (definitely not Brad Pitt imho) Who can beat a 68 fastback ? (a completely spoilered and striped fastback ? )

As far as special edition mustang goes, didn't we get a fantastic 2001 Bullitt ? We should be happy, no ? B)
Old 6/14/04, 06:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by mustangdriver@June 14, 2004, 12:40 PM
HMMMM Why can't they leave a classic film ....well a classic ? Do we need a new film, who can replace Steve McQueen ? (definitely not Brad Pitt imho) Who can beat a 68 fastback ? (a completely spoilered and striped fastback ? )

As far as special edition mustang goes, didn't we get a fantastic 2001 Bullitt ? We should be happy, no ? B)
Well all the remakes I've seen have been pretty good. The Italian Job, Dawn of the Dead, Scarface (Yes with Al Pacino), and a few others. Plus Wolfgang Peterson is a good director. Now I'm not sure how historically accurate Troy was, I've only read a summarized Odyssey, but it was a fun movie. It has a good plot and good acting. Brad Pitt isn't too bad of a movie actor. Though, we could use someone a bit more 'manly' and less 'fairy' for Bullit. No pun intended, B)!
Old 6/14/04, 07:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by StevenJ+June 14, 2004, 6:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (StevenJ @ June 14, 2004, 6:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Galaxie@June 11, 2004, 4:39 PM
Why can't they leave the classics alone?

I for one hope they don't do it.. But then again, the Bullitt Mustang would be a great collector's item for that movie, and demand would be HUGE.
The good thing is that he did Troy, which ruled btw ! As long as the main character drives a V8 05' Mustang and not an import, I am happy! [/b][/quote]
heh...troy would have been better if he/they had actually written the script based on the original epic prose. but you gotta give brad pitt his screen time, so no sense in killing achillies in the middle of the film right? i mean, it's not like anyone would know he never made it inside the city walls, right? i could be wrong, i haven't read the books in a while.

i dunno who they could get for bullitt, they deffinatly need someone gruffer and a little tougher than brad pitt. maybe not hugh jackman, but someone who can pull off that kind of edge.

any thoughts on an actor from anyone? if anyone says vin diesel i'm going to cry.
Old 6/14/04, 08:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Vin Diesel

but you are right, he was killed before the greeks left that trojan horse behind while pulling back. It was then pulled into the city of Troy, where the 30 greeks that were hidden inside the wooden horse climbed out at night and opened the city gates for the returning greek army. Eventually, Troy was destroyed.
Old 6/14/04, 10:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Well, and the movie took place in about 10 days, where the Illiad describes the war as lasting 10 years.

But what's important is that it was a *good movie.* A straight adaptation of the Illiad would have, quite frankly, sucked. If you don't get pulled into the historical vs. non-historical (lol as if the Illiad is 'history' in the first place) debate, the movie was very very enjoyable.

I still say a new Bullit would be more good than bad. Good exposure for Ford, good exposure for the new Mustang, and probably a fun film ... as long as you don't get bogged down into comparing it to the last.
Old 6/14/04, 10:50 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

How many times do I have to say DON'T MESS WITH THE STEVE MCQUEEN MOVIES before someone listens?

Next they'll be remaking the Great Escape with Pdiddy and Ben Stiller.
Old 6/14/04, 11:01 AM
V6 Member

They already remade "The Great Escape". Haven't you guys seen "Chicken Run"?
Old 6/14/04, 01:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by ZERO@June 14, 2004, 6:07 AM
good point, but i don't think it was the fast and the furious that did it, it was just fuel to the fire. and it was playing off of a growing market for that kind of thing, just drawing in the people who were into it, or wanted to get into it.
Please?!
in 2000 I bought a 1997 Mitsubishi eclipse AWD turbo for 7500 bucks. Shortly after F&F went blockbuster I sold it for 11000. All because the Walker drove a modified Eclipse. No other reason at all. The fire may have been going on the coasts, but inland in the US there were no rice cars at all. Now every time you look up theres a few. Movies and pop culture have a tremendous affect on reality. Even if they suck!
Old 6/14/04, 02:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by jarradasay+June 14, 2004, 1:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jarradasay @ June 14, 2004, 1:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ZERO@June 14, 2004, 6:07 AM
Please?!
in 2000 I bought a 1997 Mitsubishi eclipse AWD turbo for 7500 bucks. Shortly after F&F went blockbuster I sold it for 11000. All because the Walker drove a modified Eclipse. No other reason at all. The fire may have been going on the coasts, but inland in the US there were no rice cars at all. Now every time you look up theres a few. Movies and pop culture have a tremendous affect on reality. Even if they suck! [/b][/quote]
now i said that fast and the furious did not, on its own, start the riced out car craze...it just hyped it and spread it even more. regardless of where the craze was going on at, east/west coast or not, it will make it's way around eventually. you said it yourself, you made a profit on your car based on peoples desire to be 'fast and furious'. the movie wouldn't have been made if it wasn't for people already racing those cars and starting the front wheel drive muscle car thing in the first place.

but i guess it's like a lot of other movies. would the Z3 have sold as well if pierce brosnan didn't drive it in golden-eye? would anyone care about the gt500 elenor (*edit - i mean making it look just like the one in the movie. not serious car collecters who go after them because they're a great car) if it wasn't for nick cage? i guess all those are debatable...but you're right, media and pop culture do influence us in a lot of ways, not just the car we buy. i mean people wanted to wear hammer pants. and even a red leather jacket with a lot of zippers on it like michael jackson for a while. ('cept me, i was too poor. lol.) another great example, jordans. $150 for a pair of shoes? but hey...he is a legend.

Quick Reply: Wolfgang Petersen Takes a Bullitt for WB