2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/10, 09:09 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Storage

Turning my 2006 GT Vert from my daily driver to my weekend car. With that said, now that it is too cold most days to drop the top, I'm getting ready to put it away in the garage for the summer. Any suggestions on how I should store it? One friend advised to get a Battery Tender to maintain the batter from dieing and start the engine every few weeks. What else should I do?
Old 10/8/10, 09:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by jeffgall
Turning my 2006 GT Vert from my daily driver to my weekend car. With that said, now that it is too cold most days to drop the top, I'm getting ready to put it away in the garage for the summer. Any suggestions on how I should store it? One friend advised to get a Battery Tender to maintain the batter from dieing and start the engine every few weeks. What else should I do?
Don't forget the fuel stabilizer and a good car cover (dust can scratch up a car pretty bad). I'd also recommend and oil change before it goes in storage and again when it starts seeing regular use again.
Old 10/9/10, 12:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

I wouldn't start it every few weeks unless you'll be driving it too. You could do more harm than good. Also changing the oil before and after storage is definitely overkill. I store 2-3 of my cars every winter, but on occasion take them out if the roads are clear of salt, ice, and snow, and the temps are above 25 degrees. Sometimes they'll sit for 2 months without being started, and i seldom put more than 300-400 miles on my '08 Mustang from November to March.

For just 3-4 months, I've never bothered with fuel stabilizer, and never have had any issues. I do inflate my tires about 5 psi more than normal to help prevent flat-spotting, and what flat-spotting does occur, always goes away within the first 5-10 miles. I have a Battery Tender Jr I use, and swap it back and forth every few weeks between my Miata and Mustang to keep their batteries topped up, but that is because both cars have small, lightweight batteries. When storing the my Mustangs for the winter with their original, stock batteries, I never had any problems starting them after 2-3 months, even without a battery tender on them.
Old 10/9/10, 04:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
Wash/wax/cover. I remove the battery to store in heated area, so with our cars you should crack the window before removing since it will not auto adjust. I use Irish Spring soap in the car, supposedly keeps mice away and smells good. I air up the tires more than street pressure, but I prefer leaving the car on the ground in case there is a fire and there was the few minutes to drive the car out rather than it being stuck on stands. I do not start the car all the time, I only did once 2 winters ago between Thanksgiving & Easter and that was because I just really missed the exhaust note. Last winter nada. I also completely fill tank, and put in stabilizer.