2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Winter driving - snow and ice

Search this Thread

Old 10/18/06, 11:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
Why aren't the Goodyear TripleTreds good for the GT? They are H-Rated and I won't be taking the Mustang over 100 mph on the road. I want long lasting tires, not soft Z-rated tires that wear out in 12,000 miles. I've never had W/Z-rated tires last more than 12,000 miles on my Crown Vic and the fronts always wear out faster than the rear.
Its not just the speed rating thats different. The tire is constructed different. It will effect the handling of the car. Trust me Ive worked for Goodyear since I was 15, now 32.
You can wear any tire out in 12,000 miles, even the 80k tires. IT all depends on how you drive
Old 10/18/06, 12:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I've seen how a few co-workers drive their cars and I do not understand how they get 50k-60k miles out of their tires. They either drive really fast, brake fast, squish their tires against curbs while parking, and do other wacky stuff without any problems.

I keep my tires inflated properly and do all the usual checks. I even rotate my tires because I switch to snow tires in the winter.

I have heard nothing but good things about the TripleTreds on almost every car. Have you tried them on your S197 or know some people that used them? I'm planning to get the 235/55R17s to replace the Crapellis when they wear out.
Old 10/18/06, 12:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stoenr
Its not just the speed rating thats different. The tire is constructed different. It will effect the handling of the car. Trust me Ive worked for Goodyear since I was 15, now 32.
You can wear any tire out in 12,000 miles, even the 80k tires. IT all depends on how you drive
Very true! Going on 31K miles on the original Pirelli's and they still have plenty of tread left. I drive 30 miles each way to work on hilly twisty curvy roads at around 65-70mph (my previous car I could only go about 55-60) So very little interstate driving for me. I'm very happy with the Pirelli's and how long they have lasted.
Old 10/18/06, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone drive in snow and ice with their 05-up Mustang GT?
I'm hesitant to order a 07 GT now because by the time it arrives, it will be winter in MI. That means salt and snow on subdivisions until April. My Crown Vic (4.6 2V V8, 3.55s, snow tires, Traction-Lok) can give me a hard time on the really thick stuff (16"-20" or more) but I never put any weight in the back.

Granted, the 05-up GTs are about only 400 lb lighter than my Crown Vic, I'm curious as to how well they perform in the snow.

I've driven my pony in the century snow here in south germany last winter. We got 2 feet fresh snow in one night, last march. My opinion: Use good (Continental, Michelin, Goodyear) winter tires, no all-season, and put some weight in the trunk (sand bag ore something like this). Its difficulter to drive a mustang in the snow than a sedan like a BMW 5 series ore a large Mercedes. And drive carfully! You can beat a SUV next spring on the traffic light, not in the snow! Some friends call me crazy, they ride their M3's, CLK's ore Porsche 911 only between april and october. In Winter they have a X5 ore a Audi Quattro. I think its the hard way to learn to handle a rwd with enough torque and hp.
Old 10/18/06, 04:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I've seen how a few co-workers drive their cars and I do not understand how they get 50k-60k miles out of their tires. They either drive really fast, brake fast, squish their tires against curbs while parking, and do other wacky stuff without any problems.

I keep my tires inflated properly and do all the usual checks. I even rotate my tires because I switch to snow tires in the winter.

I have heard nothing but good things about the TripleTreds on almost every car. Have you tried them on your S197 or know some people that used them? I'm planning to get the 235/55R17s to replace the Crapellis when they wear out.

I havent had them on mine, but have sold at least 100 of the tires on different cars. I just dont think they will handle as well as a V or Z rated tire. And I have seen them wear down in 15,000 miles. Its an excellent tire, dont get me wrong.
Old 10/19/06, 01:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Stoenr
I havent had them on mine, but have sold at least 100 of the tires on different cars. I just dont think they will handle as well as a V or Z rated tire. And I have seen them wear down in 15,000 miles. Its an excellent tire, dont get me wrong.
Interesting. I'll see how well the stock Pirelli's perform and based on my annual mileage, I don't forsee getting new tires anytime soon (not my daily driver).
Old 10/19/06, 02:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't drive mine in snow at all. I had one vehicle completely ruined by a sand/salt truck one year and it's just not worth the trouble to drive it. I'll stick to the Escape in the winter weather.